Identified! KS - Lincolnville, WhtFem UP2422, 20-30, Pachuco Cross tattoo, Sep'87 - Michelle Carnall Burton

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 6UFKS
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/6ufks.html

2246988880045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White Female

* Discovered on September 21, 1987 near Lincolnville, Marion County, Kansas.
* Estimated at this location for 2-3 months prior to discovery.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"-5'11"; 110-120 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, about 4 inches long. Healed fractures to the forth and sixth ribs on left side that occurred within prior to three years.
* Tattoos: Tattoo on the left forearm of a cross with lines radiating from each quadrant.
* Clothing: No clothing or jewelry found at the scene.
* Dentals: Available
* Other: DNA available

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Kansas Bureau of Investigation
316-337-6100
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Case Number:
87-147

NCIC Number:
U-265796798

I have had this one on a "tentative possibles" list for awhile, and decided to put it up on the board for discussion.

Rita Mae Hughes
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hughes_rita.html

hughes_rita.jpg
2378841990045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
hughes_rita2.jpg

Above Images: Hughes, circa 1986 (with UID Reconstruction on right for comparison)

There is no indication that Rita had a tattoo on her forearm or previously broken ribs. And there were apparently no eyeglasses found with the remains.

But there is a good match on vital stats and timeline. Also, Lincolnville KS is nearly a straight shot north of Houston by way of Interstate 35. And she was last seen at a bus depot although her presumed destination was New Orleans (East of Houston).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ8gEwAA

My map links NEVER work, so hopefully this one will show up correctly. Lincolnville is just a tiny little rural town. There would be no bus line service there at all, other than the big yellow school bus kind. It isn't a place where you would just decide to go out of the blue, someone traveling from the Houston area north would have to have a reason to leave the main highway to get anywhere near there.
The match is physically very close, so it would never hurt to send it in. There would be a county sheriff office still, but most of those little towns no longer even have their own police force anymore.

jmo

She was dropped off at a bus depot, but there was never any indication that she ever boarded a bus. She was reportedly distraught when she was last seen, and consequently, she could have been an easy target for a predator posing as someone who was sympathetic to her plight.

Nose and jaw don't look right to me, but that could be the angle her head is rotated at in the photos. The stats match up well enough to make it worth a look.

If you zoom out on the map....you can see that this area is about a one hour drive just south of Ft. Riley Army Base. One place to search would be any missing women who were wives or girlfriends of soldiers who were based there at the time. The local population is so very small in that area, that it would be nearly impossible to "lose" a person and not have them reported as missing. Someone who traveled to or lived temporarily near this base could easily go unreported, as those stationed there are constantly changing.

Of other note, the OKC bombing was planned and items purchased and the truck rented in this same area just a few miles to the north of this little city.

here is the Namus link for the UID:

https://identifyus.org/cases/2422

Rita Mae Hughes is not on the list.

what confounds me is that at Namus simultaneously they say 1. age 16-99 2. 5'7" 3. the body condition was "Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only" 4. an unspecified tattoo on her left arm 5. DNA unavailable.

(if there are skeletal remains only, they won't find tattoos)

yet at Doe Network they say she is 20-30, 5'6"-5'11", the tattoo is described in detail and that DNA is available.

could they make it any more difficult to find a match?

here is the Namus link for the UID:

https://identifyus.org/cases/2422

Rita Mae Hughes is not on the list.

what confounds me is that at Namus simultaneously they say 1. age 16-99 2. 5'7" 3. the body condition was "Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only" 4. an unspecified tattoo on her left arm 5. DNA unavailable.

(if there are skeletal remains only, they won't find tattoos)

yet at Doe Network they say she is 20-30, 5'6"-5'11", the tattoo is described in detail and that DNA is available.

could they make it any more difficult to find a match?

Doesn't partial skeletal means that parts were skeletonized, and parts weren't? Or have I been reading that wrong all along?

Also, even with skeletonized remains, there can be mummified bits of skin and scalp.

Doesn't partial skeletal means that parts were skeletonized, and parts weren't? Or have I been reading that wrong all along?

Also, even with skeletonized remains, there can be mummified bits of skin and scalp.

"Partial" skeletal remains, as I understand the term, means that some bones are missing. "Partially" skeletal remains is how I would describe bones with some flesh remaining.

However, I doubt that those terms are consistently used in that manner. The meaning of the term "partial remains" is probably used in both situations.

odd. the Namus page is up and running but the Doe page is not there.

What about Mary Lang from Ellis County Kansas. I know that the probable date of death doesn't match for this person, but could the date be wrong? So many other details match.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12862/306?current_page=physical_characteristics
The locations are very close. The age, height, weight all match, but that really doesn't say much considering the condition of the body.

I know there isn't much to go on with either lady, but I came across Mary today and thought about this potential match.

How about Sherry Bynum missing from Colorado Springs CO on August 9, 1987 - UID was found Sept 21, 1987

She was 30 when she went missing
Height is close, Weight is close
No mention of Sherry having a tattoo

Colorado Springs to Marion County KS is almost a straight shot on Interstate 70 (thinking truck driver, serial killer)

Sherry Bynum.jpg KS UID.jpg

I also found this article about the UID

http://marionrecord.com/direct/identity_still_a_mystery_after_25_years+4352case+4964656e74697479207374696c6c2061206d797374657279206166746572203235207965617273

Finnegan estimated the age of the woman to be between 22 and 30 years old. She was white, 5 feet, 8 inches tall, and weighed between 115 and 130 pounds. She had brown hair. Her left forearm had a cross-shaped tattoo with four marks radiating from the axis of the cross. Based on the decomposition of the body, Finnegan believed the homicide occurred sometime between June 21 and Aug. 10.

Childs said the woman likely was killed outside the county and brought here to conceal the crime.

Armed with this information and dental records, investigators went to work paring down a list of 350 missing person reports compiled by KBI that were similar to the victim. In less than two weeks, they eliminated 285 of them.

One possible match was extremely close, but additional analysis by Marion dentist D.K. Schroeder ruled it out. No matches were found in the KBI list, but the sheriff’s department and KBI continued to receive missing person inquiries from law enforcement agencies around the country.

More at link

What do you think? Should I turn this one in?

What about Mary Lang from Ellis County Kansas. I know that the probable date of death doesn't match for this person, but could the date be wrong? So many other details match.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12862/306?current_page=physical_characteristics
The locations are very close. The age, height, weight all match, but that really doesn't say much considering the condition of the body.

I know there isn't much to go on with either lady, but I came across Mary today and thought about this potential match.

Mary Lang is now on the ruleouts list.

How about Sherry Bynum missing from Colorado Springs CO on August 9, 1987 - UID was found Sept 21, 1987

She was 30 when she went missing
Height is close, Weight is close
No mention of Sherry having a tattoo

Colorado Springs to Marion County KS is almost a straight shot on Interstate 70 (thinking truck driver, serial killer)

View attachment 26943 View attachment 26944

I also found this article about the UID

http://marionrecord.com/direct/identity_still_a_mystery_after_25_years+4352case+4964656e74697479207374696c6c2061206d797374657279206166746572203235207965617273

Finnegan estimated the age of the woman to be between 22 and 30 years old. She was white, 5 feet, 8 inches tall, and weighed between 115 and 130 pounds. She had brown hair. Her left forearm had a cross-shaped tattoo with four marks radiating from the axis of the cross. Based on the decomposition of the body, Finnegan believed the homicide occurred sometime between June 21 and Aug. 10.

Childs said the woman likely was killed outside the county and brought here to conceal the crime.

Armed with this information and dental records, investigators went to work paring down a list of 350 missing person reports compiled by KBI that were similar to the victim. In less than two weeks, they eliminated 285 of them.

One possible match was extremely close, but additional analysis by Marion dentist D.K. Schroeder ruled it out. No matches were found in the KBI list, but the sheriff’s department and KBI continued to receive missing person inquiries from law enforcement agencies around the country.

More at link

What do you think? Should I turn this one in?

I sent an email to the Regional Administrator, Jerry Brown. He is listed on both the UID's and Sherry Bynum's NamUs page. They have dentals for the UID and it Sherry's profile says that dentals are available for her also. It should be an easy ruleout/match.

Nice work, chaddylex. I was about to say it definitely looks close enough to send in -- but you're ahead of me :)

I just received an email back from Jerry Brown. He said he emailed the information along with the Missing Person Report to Law Enforcement. He said that they might contact me for more info... I hope that Law Enforcement looks into it. They both have dentals...

I am being impatient about this possible match so I sent Jerry Brown a followup email to see if has heard anything. I saw that Sherry Bynum was ruled out against the Sweetwater WY Jane Doe, so it reminded me that I sumbitted her to this Jane Done.

Sometimes I think we have to followup on these possible matches to get the ball rolling...

Jerry Brown emailed me back and said he has heard nothing from the LE, and he said he would hope they would follow up on the lead he submitted, but isn't sure... It kind of makes me sad if they just thru this one under the rug!

I sent Doe Network a message. She's still shown on the Unidentified Victims almost 1/2 way down the page - Case File 6UFKS Located in Kansas in 1987. Her NamUs profile is still online.

They're pretty good about responding. I sent in one a week or so ago about the age being wrong; so hopefully they'll get her profile back online quickly.

I sent Doe Network a message. She's still shown on the Unidentified Victims almost 1/2 way down the page - Case File 6UFKS Located in Kansas in 1987. Her NamUs profile is still online.

They're pretty good about responding. I sent in one a week or so ago about the age being wrong; so hopefully they'll get her profile back online quickly.

DoeNet mistakenly thought that this UID was matched up to Lynda Jane Hart.

In fact, Lynda Hart was matched up to a different UID (UP 8521). She was found in 1988, also in Kansas. But she was found in a vacant lot in Kansas City, not in Lincolnville. This was one of my matches.

I notified DoeNet a long time ago that this UID is still unidentified, but they never reinstated the casefile.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back