Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Canada - Lyle McCann, 78, and Marie McCann, 77; Burned RV found 5 July 2010 - #1

Another missing senior

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    I've waffled quite a bit as to whether to post this or not. Probably shouldn't, probably not related and far-fetched, but putting it out there just in case ...

LE in California is seeking a green suv in relation to the July 15 disappearance and death of Norma Lopez, Moreno Valley, CA. Today the NG show had a pic of a vehicle similar to what LE is seeking, and it is that same kind of seafoam green as the McCann's suv. Windows are different, but it was the colour that really struck me. No pic available on the internet that i can find as yet.

Norma's body was left in a grove of trees that IMO is very similar in appearance to the type of area the McCann's suv was found.

A lot of spec from me here, but we know TV was arrested July 19 at Bulmer's house. We've heard that there were sightings of TV in the Niton Junction area and Peers, AB "last week", but don't know which days/dates. Assuming (yeh, okay) that Bulmer called LE as soon as or shortly after TV arrived at his home, say on the 18th(?), then it's not totally outside the realm of possibility that someone could have taken the McCann's vehicle on a very long joy ride. Edmonton to Los Angeles, 1700 miles, about a 24 hr drive one way. Of course there have been numerous sightings of TV in the Niton Junction area, but wonder if those timelines could rule out a trip to LA.

Remember, I did say it was far-fetched. Just had to get it outta my head
    There are also cameras at the border crossings that take pics of vehicle licence plates. They would know if that vehicle had crossed and exactly the time and date it did.
    Our memories shape us, providing a backdrop for our daily lives, a context for our actions, a rationale for our sometimes dubious decisions. Who we are today is inextricably woven through with memories of who we were yesterday, and the days before that.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nettie_82 For This Useful Post:

Husband of missing Edmonton woman issues statement for the McCanns
    Friday, July 23, 2010

"Send our hopes and prayers to the family of Lyle & Marie Mcann for their parents safe return, and we know exactly what they are going through." said Scott Keith in an email.

Jerome, who is 47-years-old, has been missing from her Edmonton home since July 14th. Her family says her disappearance is out of character for her.
    Note: I know name is misspelled; I copied exactly as it appears in the article in "quotations".
    http://www.globaltvbc.com/Husband+mi...328/story.html

Jerome's WS thread: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110053"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110053[/ame]
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Without any updates from LE on where they're at with the investigation (and what information they already have, what they already know, what they may suspect but are perhaps trying to prove), how does anyone know that anything they could do to try and help (Turn Your Porch Light On campaign, passing out the Missing Posters, etc) is of any real benefit? Is LE's lack of updates to the public perhaps causing a lot of people who want to help, expend their efforts for nothing? Frankly I think it's unacceptable that LE doesn't provide some kind of update. In the interest of public safety, particularly at this time of year when many folks go RVing in/around Alberta, don't the public have the right to know if they could be at risk and should perhaps put off plans to RV for the time being? Don't tax-paying citizens and their families have a right to know if they are at risk? I just don't understand it all. I have senior family members who RV at this time of the year and them doing so scares the heck out of me. Is whomever is responsible for the disappearance of the McCanns still at large? Does LE know who is responsible but just trying to gather evidence to prove it so that criminal charges will stick? In the interest of public safety, I think more information needs to be provided, just my opinion. They don't need to give specifics but they could at least advise if they're making any progress and whether other RVers could be at risk. You read in the news that searches of various areas took place and have concluded but what does any of it mean?

My heart goes out to the McCann family. I can't even begin to imagine what they're going through as the days continue to pass. This is more than any family should have to endure. I still hold out hope that there will be a happy ending.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LayzeeDayzee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nettie_82 View Post
    There are also cameras at the border crossings that take pics of vehicle licence plates. They would know if that vehicle had crossed and exactly the time and date it did.
    Yes, i was thinking of that too nettie. Enlarging that pic of the McCann's vehicle being towed, the vehicle is so muddied, it is hard to determine if the plate even exists. If it exists, it is unreadable even with magnification.

These creeps know all the angles that honest peeps wouldn't consider. Crossing could be difficult but not impossible ... unmanned border crossing, vehicle with a muddied or wrapped plate, driver with a Nexus card.

Norma disappeared the morning of July 15 in Moreno Valley. The McCann suv was recovered on the 16th (earliest report I can find is approx. 3:00 pm, so approx 30 hrs later?)

Like I said, it is probably not connected. Was just putting it out there as a possibility given the likeness of the two suvs. If LE is reading and wants to think about it, I'll leave it up to them. It may not be valuable info, but it is free.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:

*** UPDATED MAP *** showing NEW locations: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...763306&t=h&z=9

( A ) MacKay, Alberta ---> (where TV was apprehended)

( B ) Nojack campground ---> (searched by LE)

( C ) Niton Junction, Alberta ---> (where TV grew up)

( D ) Carrot Creek, Alberta ---> (just a reference)

( E ) Peers, Alberta ---> (unconfirmed sightings of TV)

( F ) Range Road 144, Alberta ---> (where SUV was found hidden under trees)

( G ) Minnow Lake, Alberta ---> (where RV found burned)

( H ) Edson, Alberta ---> (just a reference)
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

How many hours of a drive would it be from Moreno Valley, California to Edson, Alberta?

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    How many hours of a drive would it be from Moreno Valley, California to Edson, Alberta?
    Between 1 day and 6 hours and 1 day and 9 hours (that is driving non-stop)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...e=UTF8&t=h&z=4
    ★ Thank you ★

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post

*** UPDATED MAP *** showing NEW locations: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...763306&t=h&z=9

( A ) MacKay, Alberta ---> (where TV was apprehended)

( B ) Nojack campground ---> (searched by LE)

( C ) Niton Junction, Alberta ---> (where TV grew up)

( D ) Carrot Creek, Alberta ---> (just a reference)

( E ) Peers, Alberta ---> (unconfirmed sightings of TV)

( F ) Range Road 144, Alberta ---> (where SUV was found hidden under trees)

( G ) Minnow Lake, Alberta ---> (where RV found burned)

( H ) Edson, Alberta ---> (just a reference)
    FWIW, I found some surnames in north Edmonton that are not far from St. Albert, Alberta.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Nojack campground

If someone wants to look around Nojack campground using Google Street View, and wants to compare with the pictures we got, here is the MAP link (takes a few seconds to load): http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...285.46,,1,1.98

( A ) = MacKay, Alberta
    ( B ) = Nojack Hotel
    ( C ) = Nojack Campground

images sources:
    --> http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz0uNdXjoxP

--> http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg...spx?ID=1255460
    ★ Thank you ★

Quote Originally Posted by Summersolstice View Post
    FWIW, I found some surnames in north Edmonton that are not far from St. Albert, Alberta.
    hmmmm trying to figure out why you quoted my post. You mean you found some town's names north of Edmonton that you want me to add to my map?

or do you actually mean surnames, as in last names? If that is the case, I'm sorry, I really fail to see what is the relevance of quoting my MAP to make that statement.

Also, could you give us a 'hint' of what those surnames are. At least tell us if those surnames have any connection to the McCanns or to TV or any other case? Thanks!
    ★ Thank you ★

hmmmm trying to figure out why you quoted my post. You mean you found some town's names north of Edmonton that you want me to add to my map?

or do you actually mean surnames, as in last names? If that is the case, I'm sorry, I really fail to see what is the relevance of quoting my MAP to make that statement.

Also, could you give us a 'hint' of what those surnames are. At least tell us if those surnames have any connection to the McCanns or to TV or any other case? Thanks!
    That map was helpful. Thank you. I started realizing some surnames connected with this case have Edmonton addresses on the north side, not too far from that highway and St. Albert. And a sibling had stated in the media that a POI in the case had spent time in Edmonton the week the McCanns disappeared. Interesting.

That map was helpful. Thank you. I started realizing some surnames connected with this case have Edmonton addresses on the north side, not too far from that highway and St. Albert. And a sibling had stated in the media that a POI in the case had spent time in Edmonton the week the McCanns disappeared. Interesting.
    oh, ok, fair enough
    FWIW, the reason I updated the map was because of the following post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jagstop View Post
    Today, July 19, 2010 person of interest Travis Vader was taken into custody in MacKay, Alberta by the R.C.M.P. Vader was apprehended on outstanding warrants and is being questioned in connection to the missing McCann couple. According to geographic criminal profilers, the McCanns should be found within a 30 km radius of the burned motor home. Hopefully alive. edmontonjournal.ca

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...46#post5424746
    Regarding the sibling, IIRC, didn't she have a different surname?
    ★ Thank you ★

Between 1 day and 6 hours and 1 day and 9 hours (that is driving non-stop)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...e=UTF8&t=h&z=4
    Yahoo shows it 26 hrs 44 mins, but not sure the link brings it up properly:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps.php?ard=1...alley%2C%20USA

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    Yahoo shows it 26 hrs 44 mins, but not sure the link brings it up properly:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps.php?ard=1...alley%2C%20USA
    Yep, your link brings it up properly!

So that's 1 day and almost 3 hours.

Trip distance (Highway 15 South):

Yahoo map: 1,857 miles = 1 day, 2 hours, 44 minutes
    Google map: 2,936 km = 1 day and 6 hours
    ★ Thank you ★

oh, ok, fair enough
    FWIW, the reason I updated the map was because of the following post:

Regarding the sibling, IIRC, didn't she have a different surname?
    In many cases lately, people use several different surnames, sometimes simultaneously. Some even go by nicknames. I've even learned that the term "sister" can mean different things. Go figure.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

I don't know where LE is searching currently. The area around Evansburg, Alberta is particularly challenging:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/siteinformation.aspx?id=92

Search for missing couple not over, RCMP say
    July 25, 2010 6:01 PM

EDMONTON — A day after a candlelit “vigil of hope” for a missing elderly Alberta couple, RCMP officers are reassuring the public their search for Lyle and Marie McCann is not over.

Rumours that police have stopped searching for the McCanns are false, RCMP spokeswoman Doris Stapleton said Sunday.

“To be really clear, the forensic search of the arrest site and at the Nojack campground have been completed,” Stapleton said.

“However, I want it to be very clear to everybody, the search for the McCanns has not ended and will never end until we find them.”

Read more:
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz0ujtzRozf
    ★ Thank you ★

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Just finished reading this whole thread...wow lots of info. Has anyone made an astrology request here on WS? I hope the McCanns are found soon!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to flipflop For This Useful Post:

I'm wondering when/if TV will be charged with anything relating to the McCanns. He's in custody on other matters, so I guess there's no rush.

I'm wondering when/if TV will be charged with anything relating to the McCanns. He's in custody on other matters, so I guess there's no rush.
    Could LE possibly be waiting for forensic testing to come back before they can slap any other charges on TV? There has to be something that led them to TV in the first place to call him a POI after the RV was found. In one news article from the weekend, it was stated by LE that it can take quite a bit of time for forensic testing to be completed.
    Our memories shape us, providing a backdrop for our daily lives, a context for our actions, a rationale for our sometimes dubious decisions. Who we are today is inextricably woven through with memories of who we were yesterday, and the days before that.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to nettie_82 For This Useful Post:

I am sorry to see that McCann's have not been found yet. I am hoping they will come home to their family soon. :-(

I am wondering about the veracity of this reporting. I wonder if TV's "girlfriend" has been interviewed?

CTV News has heard the same story from multiple sources in the small town of Peers, Alta. They say Vader showed up in the small town last week to a certain residence and was driving a Hyundai.

The man who lives at the home is known locally as 'Bandana Dave,' a friend of Vader who continues to deny that the man was ever in the small town.

CTV News has also been told that Vader was in the company of a female, described as his girlfriend.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

I wonder about the why. Somebody probably had the RV + car for at least 24hrs. Logically they're not going to be cruising with an RV - so were was it. They wanted the car to use so they would keep it "clean" inside, also it was not torched.
    What is so important in Peers, or were every the car went to expend all this bad energy?
    Many people before they take a trip get their autos serviced. The mileage is always noted, this could answer a few questions, if they did service their autos.
    Were the buildings torched for a reason or to just add confusion.
    My parents are the same age, they like to take long road trips. It's stressfull plus their driving skills are not what they used to be. - wish they'd fly.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nao For This Useful Post:

McCann Family Searches for Answers

Sorting out possible tips from well-intended messages of support is time-consuming, and every word from soft-spoken Bret testifies to his exhaustion. “But what I’m kind of dreading,” he admits offhandedly, “is the day the reporters don’t call.”

The McCanns’ planned journey was one that Lyle could probably have captained in his sleep. He spent most of his working life as a long-haul trucker, and the roads leading over the Rockies to the coast were his bread and butter; he had an archaeologist’s knowledge of the year-to-year changes along the Yellowhead Trail.

Lyle and Marie Ann, who have lived in St. Albert since 1964, intended to meet daughter Trudy Holder at the airport in Abbotsford, B.C., on July 10.
    No one thought there was a need to keep tabs on the independent, healthy pair while they were in transit. But the McCanns are meticulous and considerate, so their daughter immediately sensed trouble when they missed their rendezvous. The children—Trudy, Bret, and Lance, who inherited his father’s St. Albert-based trucking business about a decade ago—made a call and discovered that Lyle and Marie Ann had also failed to make a planned stopover with older friends in Kelowna the previous day.

....an RCMP officer was able to retrieve the registration card.

.... More than mere time was lost as a result of the error; the removal of the vehicle (rv) from the clearing also compromised a possible crime scene.

Area residents concurred with the police’s evaluation of Vader, painting a complex picture of a hard-working, intelligent kid from a good family who had gone on to become a successful drilling consultant. With the downturn in the Alberta oil patch, Vader was forced to sell his equipment and had become an ominous, short-tempered presence haunting the hotel bar in Niton Junction. When the police held a Friday night community meeting in MacKay to discuss the hunt for Vader and to share information, Vader’s own father, according to the Edmonton Journal, warned attendees that “if you tried to corner [my son] out here, you would be dead.” But this proved false: when the police located Vader at a rural residence near Niton Junction on Monday, RCMP and Edmonton Police Service tactical units swooped in, arresting him and another individual without incident.

Unless Vader has answers, the vigil will continue for the McCann family. The police, though suspecting the worst, have not specified why they want to question Vader. There have been no confirmed sightings of Lyle and Marie Ann since July 3, and no physical trace of them was found in either vehicle. “We’re trying to focus on the chance that my parents are somewhere out there, maybe in the bush,” says Bret. “My dad is in his late seventies but he’s very vigorous. He’s getting a bit frail, but just a couple weeks ago he was here cutting down trees in my yard. He’s resourceful. If he’s out there, I’m confident he can take care of Mom.”

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/07/26/s...g-for-answers/
    Last edited by Wondergirl; 07-27-2010 at 12:01 PM.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast