697 users online (97 members and 600 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    104

    Virginia ended last budget with $220 million surplus

    http://hamptonroads.com/2010/07/virg...rplus?cid=rltd

    RICHMOND

    Virginia's battered state budget ended a turbulent 2010 fiscal year on June 30 with a surprise surplus of about $220 million, government figures show.
    Carpe Diem ......... Cras

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,951
    Thank you, LookingUp, for some good news--even if it isn't my state.

  3. #3
    Truthful Lies's Avatar
    Truthful Lies is offline "Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage" ~ Ana´s Nin
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,522
    Hate to whine, but VA is in desperate need of some services (i.e. severe shortage of mental health professionals in certain places). They cut things left and right...and now they say it's a surplus? I can't see how....when things they cut to get this "surplus" have adversely affected almost all of VA citizens. =(
    Where is Jennifer Kesse? www.findjenniferkesse.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthful Lies View Post
    Hate to whine, but VA is in desperate need of some services (i.e. severe shortage of mental health professionals in certain places). They cut things left and right...and now they say it's a surplus? I can't see how....when things they cut to get this "surplus" have adversely affected almost all of VA citizens. =(
    Oh, gosh ... I hear ya! The school system especially has suffered from cuts. Teachers let go, programs eliminated, etc. Even closures. Guess now that there are funds to go around ... this "so called" surplus will create "so called" new jobs that didn't needed to be cut to begin with. Frustrating, eh?
    Carpe Diem ......... Cras

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,375
    Quote Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post
    Oh, gosh ... I hear ya! The school system especially has suffered from cuts. Teachers let go, programs eliminated, etc. Even closures. Guess now that there are funds to go around ... this "so called" surplus will create "so called" new jobs that didn't needed to be cut to begin with. Frustrating, eh?
    I live in virginia. Our school district is full of excessive spending. New flat screens in every class. One school bought new bikes for every kid who had perfect attendance. The 220 million is most likey because every day the school was closed due to snow storms we saved that much money.

  6. #6
    Truthful Lies's Avatar
    Truthful Lies is offline "Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage" ~ Ana´s Nin
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulmagent View Post
    I live in virginia. Our school district is full of excessive spending. New flat screens in every class. One school bought new bikes for every kid who had perfect attendance. The 220 million is most likey because every day the school was closed due to snow storms we saved that much money.
    Well, with as much snow as we had, I know we spent millions clearing roads and trees...repairing roads, etc. I think the schools being closed would be minimal...teachers still got paid...it would really just be the operating costs and buses. I dunno. Just sad to hear they're touting a surplus when there really isn't....
    Where is Jennifer Kesse? www.findjenniferkesse.com



Similar Threads

  1. Free Surplus Clothes go to Wounded Soldiers
    By believe09 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 11:18 PM