Rare dark jellyfish showing up in San Diego Bay

Dark Knight

Reaction score
SAN DIEGO – Scientists say a rare species of dark purple jellyfish is showing up in San Diego Bay and washing ashore on beaches.

The black sea nettle can grow up to 3 feet across with 30-foot-long tentacles.

Hillgarth says they sting, so boaters and beachgoers should admire them without touching.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_sc/us_rare_jellyfish

SAN DIEGO – Scientists say a rare species of dark purple jellyfish is showing up in San Diego Bay and washing ashore on beaches.

The black sea nettle can grow up to 3 feet across with 30-foot-long tentacles.

Hillgarth says they sting, so boaters and beachgoers should admire them without touching.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_sc/us_rare_jellyfish

3 feet across with 30-foot-long tentacles.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who in their right mind would want to touch one? I'm scared just reading about em.

3 feet across with 30-foot-long tentacles.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who in their right mind would want to touch one? I'm scared just reading about em.

I know! That's a MONSTROUS jellyfish!!!! I bet it's beautiful, though!

It's too bad they're dangerous. They're quite lovely, though.

These weird movements of species populations is getting scary.

Nomura-jellyfish-3.jpg

OMG!!!!! No FLIPPING WAY and what the heck is that diver doing swimming TOWARD that sucker????

OMG!!!!! No FLIPPING WAY and what the heck is that diver doing swimming TOWARD that sucker????

Good golly! I've never seen a jelly fish that large ... evvvvvver! Too bad it's not squid ... it would make calamari for 1,000 of one's closest friends!

LOL!!! It's an optical illusion because the diver is so far back and the jellyfish is so close. I've seen it happen on numerous pictures. (It could also be PhotoShop, of course, but I think the former is more likely.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back