2010.07.15 What I saw at the Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amil

Reaction score
There are about 50 seats available in the courtroom and more in the balcony. The 1st to be let in were the attorneys, their clients, and the reporters. The reporters with electronics were ushered to the balcony. Today was the first time in over a year that there were no empty seats in the courtroom. I arrived early and saw GA,CA and her BFF, her husband and BC arrive and mull around until the doors opened for the attorneys/clients to enter. After I was seated LA and Mallory arrived. LA was wearing jeans and black polo shirt with his silver bracelet threaded with that much talked about broken black bracelet. Mallory was wearing short shorts!! The family took up a whole row of seats along with CA's BFF and her husband. CA and GA switched seats before the hearing began so CA could chat with BC. After CA testified she sat on the other side of GA. It was interesting that BC would talk to CA, BC would text and then JB and KC would receive a text which they read together, then CA and BC would receive a text. During CA's testimony JB moved his chair between his desk and LDB's desk (in the aisle) so he could see CA. BC would text or scroll on his Iphone during her testimony. Lee was asked to go out in the hallway during his mom's testimony. After most of her testimony, Mallory joined him. Cindy could stay and hear his testimony when it was his turn.
Lee did have an attorney with him who left when he left and came back when he returned. After Lee testified, he did not sit back down. Mallory met him near George's seat and they hurriedly left together.
Nejame was all ready to start the hearings and asked if he could sit at LDB's desk. He had the google map on a hardboard and was ready to begin when Baez/Cheney asked for a sidebar and dropped their motion. Nejame left right away after that. Cheney looked like a bird who swallowed a canary - smug & grinning & rocking.
JA came in quite late while LDB was up at the podium.
I was very surprised that CA did not have an attitude today. She did misremember some facts of which LDB reminded her, but no ugly faces. I couldn't believe CA said she still believes Caylee is alive. She did wear a 1" x 1" photograph of Caylee on a necklace today. She, GA and her BFF wore those white/purple wristbands, but Lee did not wear one.

During the first recess, Bill Shaeffer came in, hugged and laughed around with Cheney and said "I take it all back" (do they both hate Nejame?)

Thanks for the first hand account! What were the girls and Casey talking about at the break? Casey was very animated with them.

Did Lee chit chat with his parents while waiting for the hearing to start? Did you get the feeling he was distancing himself?

I am positive you are right about the texting - that's exactly how they are communicating - that's what I would do!

Very interesting, Amil. Thanks for sharing. Since Mallory got to hear most of Cindy's testimony, and left before it ended, wonder if she shared any of it with Lee in the hallway before he took the stand? Texting should not be permitted in court, especially amongst attorney's, IMO.

Thanks Amil!

Was there anyone waiting to get in that got turned away for lack of space?. Just wondering in case I need to try to get there really early when the trial starts.

That's interesting that Mallory would listen to all of CA's testimony then go outside to join Lee. What are the odds that they didn't talk about CA and what she said?

Thanks for the first hand account! What were the girls and Casey talking about at the break? Casey was very animated with them.

Did Lee chit chat with his parents while waiting for the hearing to start? Did you get the feeling he was distancing himself?

I am positive you are right about the texting - that's exactly how they are communicating - that's what I would do!
Lee was emotionless while sitting and waiting for the hearing to begin. He and Mallory held hands, but there wasn't much talk at all. George was without companionship.. with Mallory and LA holding hands on one side of him and CA and BC conferring on the other side of him. He was truly alone in that room.
Lee did not enter or exit with his parents. He didn't talk or show any sign of facial expression while waiting.

Thanks Amil!

Was there anyone waiting to get in that got turned away for lack of space?. Just wondering in case I need to try to get there really early when the trial starts.

I have no idea if anyone who wanted to enter couldn't. I was in quick and didn't look back.

Thanks Amil for the first-hand report! Were you close enough to catch any of the conversation between the family?

I'm not at all surprised to learn that BC and texting with JB. I'm sure there was a lot of scripting going on in the weeks prior to the hearing. It was obvious that Cindy had been coached and I suspect BC spent long hours with her on her testimony.

Interesting that Lee and Mallory didn't talk much, and didn't come in or leave with George and Cindy. It sounds like Lee is becoming more independent of his parents.

Did you observe George during Cindy and Lee's testimony? Whenever the camera was on him, he seemed to be lost in thought and appeared very unhappy.

Did you note any sort of loving relationship between George and Cindy? Every time the cameras were on them, I didn't see either of them talking with each other, holding hands, or in any way behaving as a couple.

I'm gonna follow up on Leila's observations/questions. I found George's demeanor extremely telling today. He seemed like an island unto himself - in every way. I hardly ever saw him interact in anyway with anyone. Was wondering if it appeared that way the entire time, or only when the camera panned his way? I was happy to see that he wore purple.

There are about 50 seats available in the courtroom and more in the balcony. The 1st to be let in were the attorneys, their clients, and the reporters. The reporters with electronics were ushered to the balcony. Today was the first time in over a year that there were no empty seats in the courtroom. I arrived early and saw GA,CA and her BFF, her husband and BC arrive and mull around until the doors opened for the attorneys/clients to enter. After I was seated LA and Mallory arrived. LA was wearing jeans and black polo shirt with his silver bracelet threaded with that much talked about broken black bracelet. Mallory was wearing short shorts!! The family took up a whole row of seats along with CA's BFF and her husband. CA and GA switched seats before the hearing began so CA could chat with BC. After CA testified she sat on the other side of GA. It was interesting that BC would talk to CA, BC would text and then JB and KC would receive a text which they read together, then CA and BC would receive a text. During CA's testimony JB moved his chair between his desk and LDB's desk (in the aisle) so he could see CA. BC would text or scroll on his Iphone during her testimony. Lee was asked to go out in the hallway during his mom's testimony. After most of her testimony, Mallory joined him. Cindy could stay and hear his testimony when it was his turn.
Lee did have an attorney with him who left when he left and came back when he returned. After Lee testified, he did not sit back down. Mallory met him near George's seat and they hurriedly left together.
Nejame was all ready to start the hearings and asked if he could sit at LDB's desk. He had the google map on a hardboard and was ready to begin when Baez/Cheney asked for a sidebar and dropped their motion. Nejame left right away after that. Cheney looked like a bird who swallowed a canary - smug & grinning & rocking.
JA came in quite late while LDB was up at the podium.
I was very surprised that CA did not have an attitude today. She did misremember some facts of which LDB reminded her, but no ugly faces. I couldn't believe CA said she still believes Caylee is alive. She did wear a 1" x 1" photograph of Caylee on a necklace today. She, GA and her BFF wore those white/purple wristbands, but Lee did not wear one.

During the first recess, Bill Shaeffer came in, hugged and laughed around with Cheney and said "I take it all back" (do they both hate Nejame?)

Since BC was texting during CA's testimony, I wonder if he was texting LA? If Mallory went out and talked to LA and told him anything, would that be okay? What is up with all the texting in court? If ICA isn't to communicate with people without the jail's knowledge/checking, how on earth is this texting her parents via JB allowed?

Thanks for the first hand update, Amil. We noticed the texting on camera, as we see them do often during these hearings. Someone should call the judge's attention to it. Anyone care to write to the judge? Your name and address will be public record, of course. :crazy:

I guess Mallory didn't read the judge's courtroom rules about dressing appropriately. :shakehead:

Thanks for the in-person summary.

Could somebody please tell me why communicating devices are allowed in a court room even by attonery's?

Last year we went to a court room and no metal was allowed what-so-ever.

I cannot tell you how livid this makes me. I just hope in the end we will see at the very least that ICA is in prison for the rest of her life.

ETA:
Why are people allowed to come and go as they please while the hearing is in session?

With all the security in that court room you'd think they would handle a tight ship.

Thank you Amil, that was very interesting.
This texting thing seems wrong on so many levels, I think Judge Perry should know what is going on in his courtroom.
There should be a rule that all cell phones should be turned off and put in one's pocket or purse and not allowed to be used..... Too much room for hanky panky.

I'm gonna follow up on Leila's observations/questions. I found George's demeanor extremely telling today. He seemed like an island unto himself - in every way. I hardly ever saw him interact in anyway with anyone. Was wondering if it appeared that way the entire time, or only when the camera panned his way? I was happy to see that he wore purple.

However, I caught moments where he was smiling broadly and even laughing with Conway - and George had a wide smile for media guy Jim L. as they were leaving.
George is still allowing himself to be the fall guy - for example how the Defense kept trying to get Cindy and Debbie P. to say that GEORGE is the one who planted the "smells like a dead body" into Cindy's mind, and that's why she said that. Cindy and George had to know in advance that the Defense was going to push that theory today in court - and George allowed it.
George allowed his Inmate daughter to draw comfort from the fact that he was there today.

Could somebody please tell me why communicating devices are allowed in a court room even by attonery's?

Last year we went to a court room and no metal was allowed what-so-ever.

I cannot tell you how livid this makes me. I just hope in the end we will see at the very least that ICA is in prison for the rest of her life.

ETA:
Why are people allowed to come and go as they please while the hearing is in session?

With all the security in that court room you'd think they would handle a tight ship.

It makes me livid too. I don't understand why they are so lax about enforcing the rules. Cellphones, gum, people whispering to each other in the gallery, people going in and out, it all irks me. I'm hoping the reason it's happening is these are hearings and during the actual trial it will be much more strict.

ETA: Is all of this as distracting to those of you in the courtroom as it is to us watching the video?

I'm with you on the lax courtroom - especially the texting really irks me.

Do you think it could be because it's a hearing not the actual trial?

Is all of this as distracting to those of you in the courtroom as it is to us watching the video?

The only thing distracting in the courtroom is the door opening and closing. Other people texting doesn't bother me as it makes no sound at all.

Did you note any sort of loving relationship between George and Cindy? Every time the cameras were on them, I didn't see either of them talking with each other, holding hands, or in any way behaving as a couple

This wasnt directed to me, but since I sat across from them, I can offer something. There was no affection or support from GA to CA. At one point CA was patting his knee and he just kept his arms crossed. At another point, his body was angled away from her. Interesting body language. He did not want to be there.

Thanks Amil for the first-hand report! Were you close enough to catch any of the conversation between the family?

I'm not at all surprised to learn that BC and texting with JB. I'm sure there was a lot of scripting going on in the weeks prior to the hearing. It was obvious that Cindy had been coached and I suspect BC spent long hours with her on her testimony.

Interesting that Lee and Mallory didn't talk much, and didn't come in or leave with George and Cindy. It sounds like Lee is becoming more independent of his parents.

Did you observe George during Cindy and Lee's testimony? Whenever the camera was on him, he seemed to be lost in thought and appeared very unhappy.

Did you note any sort of loving relationship between George and Cindy? Every time the cameras were on them, I didn't see either of them talking with each other, holding hands, or in any way behaving as a couple.
George wore a pouty face while CA and LA testified. During Lee's testimony, CA had moved back between GA and Mallory. CA had her hand on top of his leg as they listened to LA. When LA testified, KC's reaction at first was to burst into tears. Her nose was red and I think it was a genuine cry. Soon after that and during his testimony she scribbled like mad on her tablet and was over the emotions.

It makes me livid too. I don't understand why they are so lax about enforcing the rules. Cellphones, gum, people whispering to each other in the gallery, people going in and out, it all irks me. I'm hoping the reason it's happening is these are hearings and during the actual trial it will be much more strict.

ETA: Is all of this as distracting to those of you in the courtroom as it is to us watching the video?
There were two law students behind me whispering as LDB spoke. When they weren't whispering, one of them was texting. Between the texting and whispering I was very distracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member