1209 users online (258 members and 951 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Earthquake in the Washington DC area

We just got rattled out of bed with a 3.7 earthquake... it shook our house pretty good.

News link:

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0710/755923.html

ETA: it has now been downgraded to a 3.6 magnitude... duration is set at around 15 seconds.
    Last edited by Elphaba; 07-16-2010 at 06:18 AM. Reason: magnitude change

Wow maybe it will shake some sense into some of those politicians. Is everyone alright?
    Last edited by legalmania; 07-16-2010 at 08:34 AM.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

I pray nobody got hurt and there is no property damage. Thank goodness the quake occured in the wee hours of the morning while most folks were still sound asleep and not on the roads. Thanks for the report Elphaba ... now I need to check on our family and friends in N. VA.
    Carpe Diem ......... Cras

Elphaba I am glad you are O.K.

That's crazy. Has to be frightening.

I heard on the local news this morning that there's no property damage with a 3.6 (or whatever it was) earthquake. Reporter also said it's unusual for DC. Most earthquakes in and around VA are in the Shanandoah area.

My son is in Sterling. I texted him this morning to see if he felt it but haven't heard anything back yet.

It was different, that is for sure... only issue we have is that what was a small crack in our bedroom ceiling is now very visible and runs across the room towards J's office area. He was livid, but like he said: we realized a few years ago that whomever built the extension on the house before he bought it many years ago, did a poor job, so we shouldn't be surprised that the shaking the house took this morning made the crack run.

But, we have insurance, so all is good.

So there was property damage! Sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    I heard on the local news this morning that there's no property damage with a 3.6 (or whatever it was) earthquake. Reporter also said it's unusual for DC. Most earthquakes in and around VA are in the Shanandoah area.

My son is in Sterling. I texted him this morning to see if he felt it but haven't heard anything back yet.
    Hoping your son gets back to you quickly, Lizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    It was different, that is for sure... only issue we have is that what was a small crack in our bedroom ceiling is now very visible and runs across the room towards J's office area. He was livid, but like he said: we realized a few years ago that whomever built the extension on the house before he bought it many years ago, did a poor job, so we shouldn't be surprised that the shaking the house took this morning made the crack run.

Hope his homeowners insurance covers it.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Hoping your son gets back to you quickly, Lizzy.

He just texted back and only said that it woke him up. I didn't think he was in trouble or anything. I just knew it probably scared him. We've never experienced an earthquake before. He's only been away from home for a little less than a year and he was in DC when they had ALL the snow. That's something he's never experienced before either. We have snow in the Hampton Roads area once in a blue moon and never like that. Thank you though :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post

Sorry to hear you suffered some damage Elphaba ... I'm so glad you and your family are safe. I've lived in both Rockville and Reston many, many years and do not recall experiencing any earthquakes.
    Hmmmm, maybe Capitol Hill needed a little shakeup,eh?

Son just texted me that it was the biggest earthquake in the DC area in 36 years. Must be why you don't remember any LookingUp.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post

Hope your hear some good news from your son Lizzy! My granddaughter is in Leesburg and I'm waiting to hear from her.

He's okay LookingUp. You know kids (course he's in his twenties but still a kid to me), he probably thought it was exciting. I hope you hear from your daughter soon.

Happy you heard from your son Lizzy. Seems like 2010 is turning into one heckuva ride on Mother Nature's roller coaster, for the DC area.

Legalmania: good point... I'll have to ask him about that when he gets back in. I know there is no visible damage to our foundation, so I am thinking just the shoddy build of the walls just stressed the little crack in the plaster as they shook, causing it to open up wider and run. I guess a simple plaster job can fix the situation...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast