A Griffin, Oregonian: Kyron Horman has gone from tragic missing-boy case to tabloid

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
I thought this beautifully written piece deserved a thread of its own.

:blowkiss: to Anna Griffin of The Oregonian...

Kyron Horman has gone from tragic missing-boy case to tabloid sideshow
Anna Griffin, The Oregonian
Posted: 07/16/2010 5:29 PM

Six weeks after Kyron Horman disappeared, we still have no clue where the little boy went or whether he's alive.

Certain things have become clear, though. The fact, for example, that there is only one truly innocent victim in this mess.

Two if you count Kyron's baby sister.

This began as a sad, terrifying story about a boy who vanished. It has devolved into a domestic dispute, admittedly one with enough juicy detail to attract People magazine and the major TV networks.

Despite almost a half-million dollars spent on the search by Multnomah County taxpayers, we know only the barest details of Kyron's last morning at home. Despite countless hours of TV time and newsprint pages, we know little about the boy, beyond that he's allergic to bees, has a birthmark on his forehead and loves sushi.

We know plenty, however, about Terri and Kaine Horman's failed marriage, their gym habits, his claims she suffered from severe postpartum depression. We know biological mother Desiree Young says she suspected the worst of her former husband's new wife even before Kyron disappeared.

more...

http://mobile.oregonlive.com/advorg...EA2CFA?contentguid=liDbO3Ep&full=true#display

kyron3jpg-42b82154c5c24430_large.jpg

God bless you, Kyron.

:blowkiss:

The problem is that all this talk about who lives where and who took pictures of what distracts from another central fact:

Kyron is still out there. He's at the bottom of a river or screaming for help in a basement or, let's dream a little, eating ice cream, watching SpongeBob and enjoying a respite from the messed-up world we adults made for him.

That boy -- getting him home or getting justice in his name -- is really the only thing that matters. Everything else is white noise, not news.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good on Anna Griffin. I like it a lot. A lot, a lot, a lot. And it needed to be said.

Red-eyed tree frogs have been trumped by randy text messages. This is no longer just sad. Now it's also disgusting.

I can't stop crying. Crying for Kyron.

Where is he? Where is Kyron? What happened to him?

The problem is that all this talk about who lives where and who took pictures of what distracts from another central fact:

Kyron is still out there. He's at the bottom of a river or screaming for help in a basement or, let's dream a little, eating ice cream, watching SpongeBob and enjoying a respite from the messed-up world we adults made for him.

That boy -- getting him home or getting justice in his name -- is really the only thing that matters. Everything else is white noise, not news.

:clap: :clap: :clap:[/This says it all,and so so well!:woohoo:

What is so sad is that if it weren't for all the drama his story would probably would have faded by now.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Amen!!

Yes, where is Kyron, that is really all that matters. I don't care about TH and her awful taste in sexting her husbands friend. I don't know if Kaine was having an affair but if so, shame on him. And I really don't fault TY for voicing her opinion, she is his mom and I'm sure has plenty of venting to do about TH being the other woman in her son's life.

This is unfortunatley what happens when someone goes missing, everyones dirty laundry gets aired for the whole world to see, it's out there for us to analyze & criticize and the focus of the most important issue, where is and what happened to Kyron gets lost in all this mess of finger pointing and broken family issues.

Loved the article. So much so, I made the last paragraph my sig.

Ain't it the sad truth {{{{{{{ Kyron}}}}}}}} where are you baby boy?? You are sooo missed

What is so sad is that if it weren't for all the drama his story would probably would have faded by now.

I completely agree with you. I disagree with Anna Griffin's article in that respect...this has kept Kyron on front pages and that is good for Kyron. I don't think his disappearance was ever going to become Natalee Holloway, very few do, so no matter how unseemly this is there is still very important good coming out of it.

Also, whether you agree with the strategy or not, the tabloidesque side of the story may suit LE's efforts to put the screws to Terri.

I think all this is definitely a mixed bag, not a clear-cut good or bad thing.

But what can you do? I mean, the reasons for not letting out info is that LE is ON Kyron's disappearance. So, what does that leave for news? Salacious details. It doesn't get my sleuthy bug a-goin', but it does add to gossip and talk. So, where does that leave sleuthing? Nowhere. I lurk for this reason. I want Kyron home.

wow.. absolutely beautiful article.. it needed to be said.

Sadly - Even with a child in the balance - the news is just the same as any other television show and it's plots for ratings - Scandals sell... There will be positive and negatives with media coverage as without.

As long as Kyrons face is still being seen that is all that matters - Because the last thing anybody is going to think about when and if they see his face is the private lives of his parents...

just beautiful.. story

Lord Jesus, please bring this baby home, soon. Let someone speak up, let the truth be known. Comfort those who love him. :praying:

I completely agree with you. I disagree with Anna Griffin's article in that respect...this has kept Kyron on front pages and that is good for Kyron. I don't think his disappearance was ever going to become Natalee Holloway, very few do, so no matter how unseemly this is there is still very important good coming out of it.

Also, whether you agree with the strategy or not, the tabloidesque side of the story may suit LE's efforts to put the screws to Terri.

I think all this is definitely a mixed bag, not a clear-cut good or bad thing.

Chili Fries, I agree that these sorted stories keep little Kyron's story out there and "in the news". What bothers me the most is that the media does not always show the boy's picture in every article - DY, KH and TY are not missing so why show pictures of them - show Kyron instead, although I do understand that TH's picture should be out there too. Getting the little guy's photo out whenever they can might prompt someone's memory.

I am not familiar with the farming industry in Oregon at this time of year (or any other time for that matter) but if migrant workers are typical in this area, has LE checked to see if any of these crews may have seen anything. If there is a large population of non-English speaking citizens in this area, has Kyron's story been picked up and published in other languages for those who do not speak English. Are there any other "newspapers" in other languages and are they running with this story too? If people cannot read or understand English, why would they bother to watch the news or read the papers? Just a couple of thoughts, not directed at you Chili but for anyone who might be local. MOO

Thank you for that post...one million thank yous.

((((((((Bean)))))))) I feel you and ache with you.

I comb each day in hopes that something will shed light on where that precious child is. Have never prayed so hard or begged so loudly to the angels.

Bring Kyron home...

Wonderful article..
Local news was at the school today.. See video "Kaine & Desiree visit Wall of Hope"
http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/m...ideoId=17264@koin.web.entriq.net&navCatId=156

Was irked at the reporter there trying to talk to them, and the continued filming of such a private moment today, but at least at the end of the video Jeff, the newscaster saved it a bit by saying (not exact quote)

We get caught up with Terri moving out of the house.....
Reality is we have two parents loading up stuffed animals, teddy bears, flowers, balloons, to hopefully give to their son when he is found.
That's what this story is really about.. the safe return of a little boy..

One other thing...and I'm not trying to counter people's disgust at the tabloid nature or play it down, just looking for a silver lining...

There is still the possibility that an exposure of one of Terri's lovers/sexters/whatever could provide a break in the case. For example, if MC had been involved in Kyron's disappearance somebody could remember something suspicious he said or did now that they know he's intimately linked to Terri. Or there is a possibility that somebody exchanging naughty photos with Terri online could realize who she is and contact police, especially if Terri has said something criminal or revealing with regards to Kyron.

You won't get any disagreements from me about keeping Kyron's picture as the number one priority in news stories but it might not be a bad thing that Terri's picture and habits keep getting major press also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back