2010.07.17 - President of NCM&EC could be a stranger abduction.

Shorty42389

Reaction score
(first thread here, please let me know if I need to fix anything I tried to go off of other posts I see :blushing: )

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/unusual_events_nature_of_disap.html

Unusual events, nature of disappearance keep Kyron Horman saga in national spotlight
-Lynne Terry, The Oregonian

Published: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 9:05 PM Updated: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 9:07 PM

Thousands of children vanish every year. But there are many reasons the saga of this 7-year-old boy has fueled seemingly insatiable curiosity coast-to-coast.

For months, Americans have faced a steady drumbeat of bad news that has been overwhelming and impersonal. Then comes the heart-tugging image of the innocent, bespectacled face with a gap-toothed grin. The fractured family dynamics and sensational twists in this story also have captivated the nation.

But perhaps the biggest factor feeding interest in the Kyron story has to do with the nature of his disappearance. Although hundreds of thousands of children are reported missing every year, about 115 are cases in which a child is abducted by a stranger and killed, held for ransom or taken for another reason. Kyron's case, though still unsolved, falls in this category, said Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

About a third of those 115 kids are taken off the street or from a vehicle. The rest are mostly snatched from their home, yard, park or wooded area or from a store. Only two -- fewer than 2 percent -- vanish from a school or day care.
----------
-bbm, so how is this both an isolated event with no threat to the area AND a stranger abduction?
Would this hint at a change in their focus, a friend or accomplice to Terri that would technically be a stranger but not a danger to other children or just his opinion that is being reported?

Respectfully snipped.

But perhaps the biggest factor feeding interest in the Kyron story has to do with the nature of his disappearance. Although hundreds of thousands of children are reported missing every year, about 115 are cases in which a child is abducted by a stranger and killed, held for ransom or taken for another reason. Kyron's case, though still unsolved, falls in this category, said Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

----------
-bbm, so how is this both an isolated event with no threat to the area AND a stranger abduction?
Would this hint at a change in their focus, a friend or accomplice to Terri that would technically be a stranger but not a danger to other children or just this womans opinion that is being reported?

I am reading his quote as Kyron falls into the category of either:-
a: Abducted and killed by a stranger
or
b: Held for ransom
or
c: Taken for another reason

Personally I think he falls into category B and/or C. MOO

Thank you for the link. I hope he is located soon, I feel things are moving in this case and hope it ends positively, it's all about Kyron.

Respectfully snipped.

I am reading his quote as Kyron falls into the category of either:-
a: Abducted and killed by a stranger
or
b: Held for ransom
or
c: Taken for another reason

Personally I think he falls into category B and/or C. MMO

Thank you for the link. I hope he is located soon, I feel things are moving in this case and hope it ends positively, it's all about Kyron.

ITA, R4ORT. I read he thinks that Kyron falls into the "taken for another reason" category and not stranger abduction.

That's a heck of a statement to make without giving reasons supporting it. Perhaps he gave some, but they weren't reported. I'd like to know how he came to this conclusion. Is he personally involved in the investigation?
I think it's just his opinion and he should have made that clear.

JMO

It is clearly this man's opinion, he is not associated with the investigation.

Although I do think LE will need to address the community if no one has been arrested before school is ready to start, which is only 7-8 weeks away.

Well that is confusing. I guess I need to go to the NCMEC site and study the reasons for the hundreds of thousands of children not in that 115.

ETA: NCMEC does work with LE, right? They coordinate directly with them?

(first thread here, please let me know if I need to fix anything I tried to go off of other posts I see :blushing: )

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/unusual_events_nature_of_disap.html

Unusual events, nature of disappearance keep Kyron Horman saga in national spotlight
-Lynne Terry, The Oregonian

For months, Americans have faced a steady drumbeat of bad news that has been overwhelming and impersonal. Then comes the heart-tugging image of the innocent, bespectacled face with a gap-toothed grin. The fractured family dynamics and sensational twists in this story also have captivated the nation.

About a third of those 115 kids are taken off the street or from a vehicle. The rest are mostly snatched from their home, yard, park or wooded area or from a store. Only two -- fewer than 2 percent -- vanish from a school or day care.
----------
Would this hint at a change in their focus, a friend or accomplice to Terri that would technically be a stranger but not a danger to other children or just this womans opinion that is being reported?

Wait a minute that last paragraph seems to be the writers opinion? Not part of what Mr. Allen said.

[/B]

Wait a minute that last paragraph seems to be the writers opinion? Not part of what Mr. Allen said.

But it's Mr. Allen saying it's a non-family stranger abduction. I'm reading up on the stats and that's what the 115 are. non-family stranger abduction.

Would a step-parent be considered non-family stranger?

The U.S. Department of Justice reports

797,500 children (younger than 18) were reported missing in a one-year period of time studied resulting in an average of 2,185 children being reported missing each day.

203,900 children were the victims of family abductions.

58,200 children were the victims of non-family abductions.

115 children were the victims of “stereotypical” kidnapping. (These crimes involve someone the child does not know or someone of slight acquaintance, who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently.)

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=2810#5

Mr. Allen has some splainin to do.

the last paragraph is my writing, sorry I thought that was clear by the separation and saying bolded by me, like I was commenting on the bolded part :innocent:

I figured it was his opinion and not an official statement but Id love to know what he based his opinion on, and with him being in the position hes in I would expect him to be careful saying things willy nilly for a number of reasons.

Well that is confusing. I guess I need to go to the NCMEC site and study the reasons for the hundreds of thousands of children not in that 115.

ETA: NCMEC does work with LE, right? They coordinate directly with them?

Hundreds of thousands of children are reported missing each year, but that includes children who wander off and are located fairly quickly, teenagers who run away (if a teenager runs away repeatedly, each separate incident is counted), children who were reported missing but it turned out there was some misunderstanding and they were really where they were supposed to be, children abducted by family members or acquaintances of family. Whenever someone calls LE to report that they can't locate their child, that is counted (by federal law) in the MCMEC tally that adds up to hundreds of thousands. Children who are abducted by strangers make up a very tiny part of that tally.

Yes, NCMEC works directly with the Department of Justice and is partially funded by it.

This is the part from the article:

Although hundreds of thousands of children are reported missing every year, about 115 are cases in which a child is abducted by a stranger and killed, held for ransom or taken for another reason. Kyron's case, though still unsolved, falls in this category, said Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Although hundreds of thousands of children are reported missing every year, about 115 are cases in which a child is
* abducted by a stranger and killed,
* held for ransom
* or taken for another reason

I think number 3 or taken for another reason is an important qualifier. He is not saying which of these he believes to be true only that Kyron falls into the category .

Hundreds of thousands of children are reported missing each year, but that includes children who wander off and are located fairly quickly, teenagers who run away (if a teenager runs away repeatedly, each separate incident is counted), children who were reported missing but it turned out there was some misunderstanding and they were really where they were supposed to be, children abducted by family members or acquaintances of family. Whenever someone calls LE to report that they can't locate their child, that is counted (by federal law) in the MCMEC tally that adds up to hundreds of thousands. Children who are abducted by strangers make up a very tiny part of that tally.

Yes, NCMEC works directly with the Department of Justice and is partially funded by it.

Yep I just posted the stats from NCMEC above.

I really want to know if Mr. Allen is saying this because this is how LE currently has Kyron's case classified.

Although hundreds of thousands of children are reported missing every year, about 115 are cases in which a child is
* abducted by a stranger and killed,
* held for ransom
* or taken for another reason

I think number 3 or taken for another reason is an important qualifier. He is not saying which of these he believes to be true only that Kyron falls into the category .

But the NCMEC stats say those 115 are taken by someone the child doesn't know or is only of slight acquaintance. Terri certainly doesn't fall into that category, and I believe she would would fall into the family category.

I'm pondering what Kaine said about based on LE briefings he thinks someone else is involved. Maybe it's Terri and an unnamed somebody planned it, and the unnamed somebody is the one who actually took Kyron from the school. Which would account for why nobody saw Terri leave with Kyron. This theory is emerging as my #1, and this statement from Mr. Allen is facilitating that.

Yep I just posted the stats from NCMEC above.

I really want to know if Mr. Allen is saying this because this is how LE currently has Kyron's case classified.

How else could they have it classified at this point? No one has been named a suspect and he hasn't been located. In a family abduction, the child is being held by family, and that is not happening in Kyron's case.

I have seen that number of '115' in many studies and question it! Wonder what happens to the:
1. Children labeled as runaways
2. Children in cold cases
3. Present unsolved cases
Guess I'm wondering if that 115 is skewed.

Since I have yet to determine if Terri is innocent or guilty, I can't rule out the possibility that Kyron was abducted from school by a stranger. moo mho

ETA: At this point - why would anyone do that? moo

OK changed the title a bit... I changed it to "could" be a stranger abduction. Which of course is always a possibility.....and I don't see Mr. Allen as saying it WAS a stranger abduction.

Ok, here is what I've been seeing for the last week which kinda fits what this guy may be saying....Kaine seems to be putting distance between himself and DY. He's still wearing his wedding ring...there's just several things. Maybe Kaine is not even so sure anymore it was Terri, and maybe LE are kinda refocusing also. Or maybe I'm over-thinking things. lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back