China oil spill 7/19/10

IWannaKnow

Reaction score
I didn't know that we were not the only ones....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38337393/ns/world_news-world_environment/
China oil spill doubles in size, is deemed 'severe threat'
Crude pours out after pipeline blast; at least 1 firefighter dead

BEIJING — China's largest reported oil spill more than doubled in size to 165 square miles by Wednesday, forcing nearby beaches to close and prompting one official to warn of a "severe threat" to sea life and water quality.

The oil slick started spreading five days ago when a pipeline at a busy northeastern port exploded, sparking a massive fire that took more than 15 hours to contain. Hundreds of boats have been deployed to help with the cleanup.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hnRc-COAnkwXl4pq3IR3420c9jQQD9H3EV300

Growing China oil spill threatens sea life, water
By CARA ANNA (AP) – 1 hour ago

BEIJING — China's largest reported oil spill had more than doubled by Wednesday, closing beaches on the Yellow Sea and prompting an environmental official to warn the sticky black crude posed a "severe threat" to sea life and water quality.

Some workers trying to clean up the inky beaches wore little more than rubber gloves, complicating efforts, one official said. But 40 oil-control boats and hundreds of fishing boats were also deployed in the area.

"I've been to a few bays today and discovered they were almost entirely covered with dark oil," said Zhong Yu, a worker with the environmental group Greenpeace China, who spent Wednesday on a boat inspecting the spill.

"The oil is half-solid and half liquid and is as sticky as asphalt," she told The Associated Press.

This scares me, we buy so much seafood from China. I wonder if the FDA is monitoring this. I really don't want to eat anything from China, they don't seem to have any government to watch what is in the food, toys and whatever else they send to us, and we buy it because it's cheap.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back