Ya Gotta See It To Believe It! Whale Lands On Yacht!!

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
ss-100721-whale-02.grid-8x2.jpg

Link

Whale of a tale! 40-ton mammal lands on yacht
Massive animal leaves behind 'blubber and barnacles' and a broken mast

by Jennifer Carlile
msnbc.com
updated 7/21/2010 10:04:05 AM ET

A South African couple was out sailing near the country's infamous Robben Island when a 40-ton whale breached and crash-landed on their yacht.

"We were watching the whale flipping its tail for about half an hour," said Cape Town Sailing Academy Administrator Paloma Werner, who was enjoying a Sunday sail with her boyfriend and sailing instructor, Ralph Mothes.

"It reached about 100 to 200 meters from us, then it disappeared under water and reappeared about 10 to 20 meters from the boat, but we didn't think we were on a collision course," she told msnbc.com.

The young Southern Right Whale was longer than their 10-meter yacht — most likely between 11 and 14 meters — Werner said.

"My boyfriend told me to go to the other side of the boat," she said, explaining that they thought it would dive under their vessel.

"All I heard him say was 'Oh sh*&,' and I saw the whale come out of the water and crash against the mast of the boat....

ss-100721-whale-03.grid-9x2.jpg

I think that's the first time I saw a whale catch a yacht. Those poor people must of thought they were gonna die.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qmyoMYNwN4[/ame]

They had a whale of a time.

Link

...Officials from the local Department of Environmental Affairs have launched an investigation into the incident after several people came forward to say the boaters had broken the law by approaching the whale and that the 33-foot, 40-ton mammal was provoked into the attack....

That's interesting. I wonder what constitutes provoking the whale? I'm not saying they didn't, I just wonder what the actual legal definition is.

Link

...Officials from the local Department of Environmental Affairs have launched an investigation into the incident after several people came forward to say the boaters had broken the law by approaching the whale and that the 33-foot, 40-ton mammal was provoked into the attack....

That's interesting. I wonder what constitutes provoking the whale? I'm not saying they didn't, I just wonder what the actual legal definition is.

The thing I was wondering is why the heck the boat that was filming didn't go help that damaged boat? It was my observation that they were moving AWAY from it.....

Ok let me just spout out here.. how exactly does one provoke a whale? Eat tuna fish wrapped in seaweed, make jokes about refusing to free Willie?
I mean seriously!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back