1212 users online (247 members and 965 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Darlie Routier's Appeals & Court Rulings

Judge rejects another appeal by Darlie Routier

The judge who presided over Darlie Routier's 1997 death-penalty trial rejected the convicted child-killer's second appeal in a ruling released Wednesday.

More than two years after the writ appeal was filed by Ms. Routier's defense team, state District Judge Robert Francis found that the former Rowlett homemaker now on death row got a fair trial.

"The Applicant has failed to prove by a preponderance of the evidence ... that anyone other than the Applicant was responsible or involved in the murders," Judge Francis wrote.

One of Ms. Routier's appellate attorneys, J. Stephen Cooper, said he was not surprised by the findings because the judge indicated in January that he would not hear court arguments on the matter.

He said a federal appeal is possible if the state appeals court agrees with the judge's findings and rejects the appeal.

An earlier appeal based on the fact that errors occurred during the trial also was rejected.

Ms. Routier was sentenced to death in 1997 for killing her 5-year-old son, Damon. She was also accused of killing her 6-year-old son, Devon, but was not tried for that death. She maintains that an intruder stabbed the boys before stabbing her in her Rowlett home.

The appeal challenged Ms. Routier's conviction by claiming a wide range of errors and mishandling by the original trial attorneys and prosecutors, including the following:

One bloody fingerprint was not analyzed properly and could have supported a defense claim that Ms. Routier's children were fatally stabbed by an unknown intruder. Judge Francis ruled that a fingerprint analyst used by the defense team used methodology that was "not sound" and that trial testimony about the print was accurate.

The intruder theory was buffeted by information that Ms. Routier's husband, Darin Routier, had searched for someone to stage a burglary of the house to collect insurance money. Judge Francis found no evidence that the slayings were part of a burglary.

The judge also concluded that the defense team had mounted an adequate defense during the trial.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...lie.165bd.html

Jeana ~ your buddy Darlie, she just does not give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    Jeana ~ your buddy Darlie, she just does not give up!
    Death row has NOT been kind to Darlie Routier. She looks absolutely horrible in that photograph. Hopefully, she's starting to get some idea about how the state feels about women who murder their children in their sleep.

I just want to introduce myself, I am Camilla, one of the Darlie posters from Mary's Guilty as Charged forum at Delphi.

I know Darlie is guilty, but it was a long process for me to arrive to that conclusion, to be sure.
    If anyone needs some help with understanding the evidence, especially blood, Ill do my best to explain what I know.

c

Thanks for coming over Camilla. I'm hoping to get the discussion going once the Peterson case wraps up. Between the end of that case and the Lori Hackings murder trial (if there even is one), we'll need a good case to talk about. In the meantime, please feel free to post any links or other information that might get things started.

We've also got some posters here that are interested in the West Memphis Three case. Do you know of that one?

The blood droplets pointing downward on the back of Darlie's shirt are certainly inculpatory. So is the fact that she changed her stories regarding the so-called attacker. So is the fact that despite her apparent hysteria, she made sure to tell the 911 operator that she'd handled the knife and that her fingerprints might be on it.

And that's just for starters.

She did it.

the link wanted me to register...i'd love to see the photo. anyway...i have always been interested in this case also. look forward to more discussion. i wonder if a death warrant will be signed now?

Court TV

Hi, all! I would love to participate in a discussion about Darlie. I followed her case, although not as closely as some I am following now....I saw a commercial on Court TV that they are airing a Darlie Routier special tomorrow night (8/15) at 10PM, EST. It may just be more of the same, but I am going to plan on watching it. Have a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Thanks for coming over Camilla. I'm hoping to get the discussion going once the Peterson case wraps up. Between the end of that case and the Lori Hackings murder trial (if there even is one), we'll need a good case to talk about. In the meantime, please feel free to post any links or other information that might get things started.

We've also got some posters here that are interested in the West Memphis Three case. Do you know of that one?
    Jeana--
    Sorry if this is obvious to most--I am still new around here and don't know many details about posters, but do you think Darlie is guilty or innocent?
    Thanks--
    Karen

i was reading over at that other board...and got the impression from some posters that darlie has now filed habeas corpus implying that she has a suddenly- recalled repressed memory that her husband did it. ..anyone know details on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy
    The blood droplets pointing downward on the back of Darlie's shirt are certainly inculpatory. So is the fact that she changed her stories regarding the so-called attacker. So is the fact that despite her apparent hysteria, she made sure to tell the 911 operator that she'd handled the knife and that her fingerprints might be on it.

And that's just for starters.

She did it.

You're right Ivy. And she didn't just "change her stories." She told 13 different stories. The woman never shed a wet tear UNTIL she did a behind prison walls interview after her conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by deputylinda
    the link wanted me to register...i'd love to see the photo. anyway...i have always been interested in this case also. look forward to more discussion. i wonder if a death warrant will be signed now?

She's about two years behind in the appeals process because of the transcript errors. We always thought that her best bet at getting a new trial would have been those errors. Once her appeal on that issue failed, I knew that the rest would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieKaren
    Jeana--
    Sorry if this is obvious to most--I am still new around here and don't know many details about posters, but do you think Darlie is guilty or innocent?
    Thanks--
    Karen

Karen, she's definately guilty. I lived just across the lake from that family during the time of the murders. I remember being so scared that my children's beds and crib were moved into my bedroom. No one was more surprised than me when she was arrested. However, I know the assistant prosecutor in Darlie's case and know for a fact that they did a very thorough investigation - there is no way an "intruder(s)" did it.

Quote Originally Posted by deputylinda
    i was reading over at that other board...and got the impression from some posters that darlie has now filed habeas corpus implying that she has a suddenly- recalled repressed memory that her husband did it. ..anyone know details on this?

Nothing new Linda. Darlie found a supporter who was willing to pay legal fees, but the guy thought that Darin had to have done it and Darlie just didn't remember it. So, he arranged for Darin to take a lie detector test. Darin failed misserably. However, depending on which of the 13 versions you believe that came out of Darlie's mouth, she saw who did it and it wasn't Darin. She wrote a letter from jail while awaiting trial saying so. When confronted on the witness stand during her trial with that letter, she apparently broke down on the stand and was unable to continue testifying. Toby Shook tore her down completely. She didn't understand that anything she sent out of that prison was being monitored.

Moreover, after Darlie's conviction, her family started a website, as many do. One day I left a comment on the guestbook and started up a correspondence with Darlie's mother. It lasted a couple of months and we were pretty cordial to one another, even though she knew I believed in Darlie's guilt and want her executed. She told me in an e-mail that Darlie and Darin had a huge fight the night of the murders and Darlie asked Darin for a separation. I promised her I wouldn't tell anyone the nature of our conversations that kept that promise until I found out that she was trying to spread horrible lies about me. Then, I told everyone what Darlie Kee told me about that night and the fight and Darlie asking for a separation. She denied it for years. Then, Darin finally admitted it himself. All those dozens of supporters of Darlie's who believed Darlie Kee without hesitation started to hesitate. They wanted to know why they were being lied to by Darlie's family. I think it lost Darlie a lot of support - and rightfully so.

We knew from that day on that it was just a matter of time before they tried to save Darlie from drowning by using Darin as a life preserver. Unfortunately for Darlie, Darin stated to the presss that although he wanted to help his wife, he wasn't willing to change places with her. I've also heard from a reliable source that while they would have liked to arrest Darin as well as Darlie because they think he's scum, they simply didn't have any evidence that he was connected to the crime.

Darlie cannot win either way. If she implicates Darin in any of the crime or cover up, it will prove that she lied, but it won't negate the fact that they had mounds of evidence against her. If she says nothing, she still dies and he still walks free. If he comes out with all he knows, she still dies, and he may face some sort of trouble for whatever part he played in all this, but if they didn't have enough evidence to bring charges against him back when the evidence and investigation were fresh, I seriously doubt that they'll have anything to use against him now, even if Darlie rolls on him.

thankyou so much for updating for me!! will you please post when death warrant is signed? of course that will go big-time like carla faye...female execution always does. thanks again! fascinating about her mother too. and darin's comment. ha.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast