1130 users online (236 members and 894 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NM - Steven Teran, 26, & four children, ages 2-13, Las Cruces, 10 Feb 1990

I learned about these murders when I lived in El Paso last year. I had never heard of them before then. I saw that a documentary was being made at the time and I just remembered I want to watch that, I'll look for it on netflix or to purchase.

The Murders for those that don't know either:

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/20693343/detail.html
    Updated: 9:06 pm MDT September 2, 2009

Snip:
    today Minn begins day one of what's to be about an 85-minute documentary on the horrific murder. Today, he would interview some of the people involved in the case, like one of the survivors.

“I'm shocked not everyone knows about what happened," Minn said. "This is such a small city."

With his documentary, he's trying to reach out to as many people as possible.
    http://www.murdervictims.com/voices/Steven_Teran.htm
    Justice for Steven Teran, Valerie Teran,
    Paula Holguin and Amy Houser (pictures of the victims and background). Looks like a privately owned website of a family member possibly. JMHO.

http://blog.drivinglaws.org/2010/02/...n-active-case/
    Feb 3rd, 2010

...Detectives are continuing to investigate the February 1990 shootings at a Las Cruces bowling alley that claimed four lives and left three others critically injured.

Shortly after 8 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 10, 1990, police were dispatched to what was then known as Las Cruces Bowl, at 1201 E. Amador Ave., when 12-year-old Melissia Repass called 911 to report that she and six other people had just been shot execution-style...
    It's a horrific unsolved cold case. I just posted it in case anyone else was interested as well, hadn't heard about it, or maybe heard about the documentary.

I remember when this happened via newscast and thinking how strange it was. I hope that there is resolution for the families.

This case has also been on the show Unsolved Mysteries. I remember watching it, when it was on back in the early 90's.

M ~

Last edited by KateB; 05-21-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by mnegri1973 View Post
    This case has also been on the show Unsolved Mysteries. I remember watching it, when it was on back in the early 90's.

M ~
    Here is the link: Bowling Alley Murders

Another link with story: Ludington Daily News

Quote Originally Posted by mnegri1973 View Post

M ~
    me too!

The documentary was finished and released early this year at theaters in EP and Las Cruces.

I'm still trying to find it to watch.

Here is the link:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may...s-cruces-story

May 13, 2010

The documentary is entitled "'A Nightmare in Las Cruces"

I hope the movie brings in new clues/tips, leading to the case being solved. I have family members who were born in Las Cruces. When this happened in 1990, they figured it would be solved quickly. They felt that these guys would most likely have fled to Mexico, but would be extradited.

I'm not trying to be funny but suspect 1 looks like Eddie Murphy and suspect 2 looks like Bill Cosby. Those names popped up in mind immediately when I saw them. Weird.

The last screening was 9/16/2010, then will be released.....

Minn says the film has recently been picked up for DVD distribution by Lionsgate, an event that should happen by sometime next year.

http://alibi.com/index.php?story=33729&scn=film

I watched the documentary today... quite an horrific crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
    I watched the documentary today... quite an horrific crime.
    Any more information you can share that is not here?

No, not really. The movie is very graphic with crime scene footage. It focuses more on the victims and their families rather than on any solid leads; it has been 21 and a half years and it seems they are no further forward. It does make a strong appeal for any relevant information regarding solving the case in the last 10 minutes or so

They took a good look at the bowling alley manager (he did act a bit weird and appeared slightly aloof), but despite his not being liked, generally, there is no actual evidence to suggest he was guilty of anything.

A really tragic case - it reminds me a lot of the yogurt shop murders in Austin, Tx. in Dec 1991. In both cases businesses were targetted and money was taken (although robbery doesn't seem to have been the primary motive); Children were shot; fires were started which ruined evidence; both ocurred in the South near the border or very near (Las Cruces); both at weekends; there seems to have been substantial overkill etc.

Of course there are differences (in the Austin case there was an element of sexual assault, and that case was late at night as opposed to 8:30 in the morning), but they seem pretty similar to me. One poster on another forum said to me regarding the perps in the Austin case that he thought they were long gone - dead, or back down South over the border and most likely in jail. I tend to think that is probably the case with the bowling alley massacre perps also.
    Last edited by Dreamnine; 06-07-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Further thoughts

The movie documentary was very well done and worth watching: I can't recall a documentary of a true crime which was quite as good, as well-researched or as well-presented.

While very emotive, it's almost impossible to understand how it couldn't be so sad given that 3 of the victims were a 2 and a 6 and a 13 year old girl.

The evidence, as presented and told by witnessess, points to 2 Hispanic males, one in his 20s to his 30s, the other perhaps 20 years older, but LE just didn't have any leads, nor do now, and it's easy to speculate that these were just 2 "bad guys", probably from Mexico, and that this was some kind of a "thrill killing."

Of all the cases I've looked at over the years this stands out to me as one of the most horrific, I think because really young kids were involved, that, and its apparent random nature ie. I don't believe the business was 'cased', or it may have been, but just for 24 hours or so... this was completely random IMHO.
    Last edited by Dreamnine; 06-07-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast