1046 users online (230 members and 816 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

7/24/10 - Law professor finds bloody child sock on Black Butte & questions the system

A bloody find on Black Butte and a broken system

On a recent Friday afternoon, I drove south out of Portland, headed for the soul-restoring Santiam Pass to my cabin on the Metolius River in Camp Sherman. It had been a busy workday, the day following our wedding anniversary, and the glorious Central Oregon night, with a huge moon and countless crystal stars in a clear sky, was all I'd hoped for.

Little did I know that in the next 24 hours, a routine morning hike and the discovery of a bloody sock on the trailhead would lead me into a tangle of bureaucratic bungling and jurisdictional disputes and the realization that a citizen trying to do the right thing can be thwarted by broken, dysfunctional systems.

Indeed, truth is stranger and sometimes more disturbing than fiction.

(snipped)
    http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/in...y_find_an.html
    Justice for Nevaeh FB Group http://bit.ly/justice4nevaeh

In Memory of Aja D. Johnson:
    http://bit.ly/AjaFacebookGroup

In Memory of Ethan Stacy -
    http://bit.ly/inmemoryofethan

Etilema is offline Being kind to the cruel results in being cruel to the kind.
    Although I doubt this is actually related to Kyron's case, I found it deeply disturbing that it wasn't checked out to determine if it might be related to *something* or *anything*. If it is indeed blood, someone could be in danger and need help, or a crime could be involved.

I don't even know what to say about this story.

This is so disturbing! The word "Keystone" comes to mind.I hope someone is taken to task for the bungling of this!

This reminds me of Roy Kronk, persistently contacting LE and the Caylee tip line and telling coworkers of his suspicions about seeing a skull at the site off of Suburban where Caylee was finally found months later. Nobody took him seriously, despite his repeated attempts to get someone to just check into it. This worries me. Give me ONE good reason a child's sock with a lot of fresh blood on it found in an area that a child has been missing in for almost two months shouldn't be at least looked into?? you know, I was reassured that LE was doing a good job of following up on all the tips they've received (38 4" binders filled with tips, remember?), but now I'm just not as confident about it. The only tiny comfort I can derive from this is maybe they already have a good idea where he might be, or have very solid evidence that makes them KNOW this isn't related. The possibility that they just aren't looking into something like this because they don't care is too frustrating to consider. Kyron, where are you baby boy?!

The truest love there is

Quote Originally Posted by Etilema View Post
    Although I doubt this is actually related to Kyron's case, I found it deeply disturbing that it wasn't checked out to determine if it might be related to *something* or *anything*. If it is indeed blood, someone could be in danger and need help, or a crime could be involved.
    ITA...I also find it very disturbing how LE just passed the buck...you're not calling the correct county. You've got the wrong department...what the heck! Isn't this an urgent request? Wouldn't you think LE would send someone to check out this bloody sock??? JMHO

This story is indeed weird. I do not think that the sock is related to Ky's case but I still find it disturbing that LE would not take the report seriously. What caught my attention more then the news story was the comments. I will not post the user name but read the long comment about TH's friends not to talk to LE and and get a laywer. Now click on the users name. That same message was pasted every 2 mins like 10 times between 2:10 am and 2:27 am.(not on same thread) I find that very strange.

Things that make ya go Hmmm...
    Last edited by OhighO; 07-25-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Okay, now I'm infuriated! Whether it's related to Kyron or not, the lack of concern by LE is beyond ridiculous!

This is just plain scary..........this guy tried his darndest to help.
    Here.

I always tell people that if, heaven forbid, I am murdered, I hope to GOD, it's not in some podunk town where the police have about as much initiative as a person who pumps gas for a living. What a joke.

Unbelieveable. It just kept getting worse and worse! I am glad this guy knows how to write and glad that his ordeal was published. I hope that these agencies are held accountable and that at least SOME good comes out of this. How disturbing!

I would like to hear the actual 911 call. Does he say which agency eventually ends up with the sock? or did I just overlook it?
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

The sock was 163 miles away and halfway up a mountain...

... from where Kyron was last seen. If I found a bloody sock in my yard, out by the road, I would just toss it in the trash. I'll bet there are bloody socks in many locations closer to Skyline School. I think this guy was just trying to insert himself into the story. Hikers get bloody blisters. A bloody shirt or trousers, that's a little more meaningful. But a bloody sock- I'll bet I can find one in my son's room right now. I can understand why the local cops weren't interested in what this publicity hound had to say.

I hope this sock was sent for dna testing. If it comes back as Kyron's, it will be a huge step for the case. If it comes back as a sex offender - there is that direction to follow.

I've read tips coming in relating to Kyron are prioritized. This sock would be at the top.

Just a question: Is this the Black Butte area outside of Roseburg?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast