7/24/10 - Law professor finds bloody child sock on Black Butte & questions the system

darlin gal

Reaction score
A bloody find on Black Butte and a broken system

On a recent Friday afternoon, I drove south out of Portland, headed for the soul-restoring Santiam Pass to my cabin on the Metolius River in Camp Sherman. It had been a busy workday, the day following our wedding anniversary, and the glorious Central Oregon night, with a huge moon and countless crystal stars in a clear sky, was all I'd hoped for.

Little did I know that in the next 24 hours, a routine morning hike and the discovery of a bloody sock on the trailhead would lead me into a tangle of bureaucratic bungling and jurisdictional disputes and the realization that a citizen trying to do the right thing can be thwarted by broken, dysfunctional systems.

Indeed, truth is stranger and sometimes more disturbing than fiction.

(snipped)
http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2010/07/web_exclusive_a_bloody_find_an.html

Although I doubt this is actually related to Kyron's case, I found it deeply disturbing that it wasn't checked out to determine if it might be related to *something* or *anything*. If it is indeed blood, someone could be in danger and need help, or a crime could be involved.

I don't even know what to say about this story. :(

This is so disturbing! The word "Keystone" comes to mind.I hope someone is taken to task for the bungling of this!

This reminds me of Roy Kronk, persistently contacting LE and the Caylee tip line and telling coworkers of his suspicions about seeing a skull at the site off of Suburban where Caylee was finally found months later. Nobody took him seriously, despite his repeated attempts to get someone to just check into it. This worries me. Give me ONE good reason a child's sock with a lot of fresh blood on it found in an area that a child has been missing in for almost two months shouldn't be at least looked into?? you know, I was reassured that LE was doing a good job of following up on all the tips they've received (38 4" binders filled with tips, remember?), but now I'm just not as confident about it. :banghead: The only tiny comfort I can derive from this is maybe they already have a good idea where he might be, or have very solid evidence that makes them KNOW this isn't related. The possibility that they just aren't looking into something like this because they don't care is too frustrating to consider. Kyron, where are you baby boy?! :(

Although I doubt this is actually related to Kyron's case, I found it deeply disturbing that it wasn't checked out to determine if it might be related to *something* or *anything*. If it is indeed blood, someone could be in danger and need help, or a crime could be involved.

ITA...I also find it very disturbing how LE just passed the buck...you're not calling the correct county. You've got the wrong department...what the heck! Isn't this an urgent request? Wouldn't you think LE would send someone to check out this bloody sock??? JMHO

This story is indeed weird. I do not think that the sock is related to Ky's case but I still find it disturbing that LE would not take the report seriously. What caught my attention more then the news story was the comments. I will not post the user name but read the long comment about TH's friends not to talk to LE and and get a laywer. Now click on the users name. That same message was pasted every 2 mins like 10 times between 2:10 am and 2:27 am.(not on same thread) I find that very strange.

Things that make ya go Hmmm...

Okay, now I'm infuriated!:furious: Whether it's related to Kyron or not, the lack of concern by LE is beyond ridiculous!:banghead:

This is just plain scary..........this guy tried his darndest to help.

I always tell people that if, heaven forbid, I am murdered, I hope to GOD, it's not in some podunk town where the police have about as much initiative as a person who pumps gas for a living. What a joke.

Unbelieveable. It just kept getting worse and worse! I am glad this guy knows how to write and glad that his ordeal was published. I hope that these agencies are held accountable and that at least SOME good comes out of this. How disturbing!

I would like to hear the actual 911 call. Does he say which agency eventually ends up with the sock? or did I just overlook it?

... from where Kyron was last seen. If I found a bloody sock in my yard, out by the road, I would just toss it in the trash. I'll bet there are bloody socks in many locations closer to Skyline School. I think this guy was just trying to insert himself into the story. Hikers get bloody blisters. A bloody shirt or trousers, that's a little more meaningful. But a bloody sock- I'll bet I can find one in my son's room right now. I can understand why the local cops weren't interested in what this publicity hound had to say.

I hope this sock was sent for dna testing. If it comes back as Kyron's, it will be a huge step for the case. If it comes back as a sex offender - there is that direction to follow.

I've read tips coming in relating to Kyron are prioritized. This sock would be at the top.

Just a question: Is this the Black Butte area outside of Roseburg?

Watch - now this poor guy will be arrested for "cop bashing". I can say a similar thing happened to me when my purse was stolen. I called 911, as the perp could have still been in the store. Told, oh that's not an emergency - HUH? Transferred me to the sherrifs dept who couldn't be bothered to come out, and told me to come to THEM to fill out a report. Someone please tell me exactly what do we have 911 for?

MOO

Mel

I would like to hear the actual 911 call. Does he say which agency eventually ends up with the sock? or did I just overlook it?

It sounded like the local police ended up with it. Which is a shame, since the state police and local police were both at this guy's cabin, and he made it sound as if the state police at least were willing to hold the sock as evidence should it be required down the line.

Not that this necessarily has to do with Kyron directly, but come on - at least the Kyron case should highlight the need for people to be vigilant in general about potentially injured (or worse) children. What if someone found Kyron's shoe or sock at 12 noon on June 4th in the woods or on SI? No child was "missing" then as far as LE knew, yet it would have been valuable evidence for the child that was reported missing at 430pm that same day. Would they have thrown the shoe or sock away had someone tried to hand it to them, throwing away evidence of Kyron?

So what if no child had been reported lost, injured or kidnapped YET when the sock was found by the man in the article - there is always the potential for there to be a crime, or an injury, or a child reported lost at some point in the future. What's the harm or trouble in detailing the GPS coordinates where the sock was found, take a statement from the dude who found it and stick it in a sterile evidence bag for later? If it happens they never need it - well, good. What was wasted except 30 minutes and a plastic bag?

It is just a mess, a disgrace, etc. how this was handled, regardless of the value to the case if any. I think that is the whole point.

I always tell people that if, heaven forbid, I am murdered, I hope to GOD, it's not in some podunk town where the police have about as much initiative as a person who pumps gas for a living. What a joke.

It is not just podunk areas. About 10 years ago we had our car stolen from the Coastal Empire Fair in Savannah GA. The only saving grace we had for us was that we knew a detective on the Police force. I can only imagine if it was a child...:furious:

This story is indeed weird. I do not think that the sock is related to Ky's case but I still find it disturbing that LE would not take the report seriously. What caught my attention more then the news story was the comments. I will not post the user name but read the long comment about TH's friends not to talk to LE and and get a laywer. Now click on the users name. That same message was pasted every 2 mins like 10 times between 2:10 am and 2:27 am.(not on same thread) I find that very strange.

Things that make ya go Hmmm...

That and there is one poster that they have removed comments by. ??

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back