1260 users online (268 members and 992 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Thumbs down Dutch sailor, 14, gets OK for solo world trip

MIDDELBURG, Netherlands A Dutch court cleared the way Tuesday for 14-year-old Laura Dekker to embark on a risky attempt to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world, an adventure that could begin in the next two weeks.

Judges at Middelburg's family court lifted a guardianship order imposed on Dekker last year after she said she wanted to set sail when she was still just 13.

Her plan ignited a worldwide debate on how far parents should go in supporting or encouraging their children's improbable dreams.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100727/...s_young_sailor

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

My oldest son is 13. No way would I even consider letting him solo around the world next year. He has only just gotten permission to ride his bike 1 mile away to athletic practice. No way does a young teen have the requisite judgement to handle all the possibilities that could arise on a round the world solo voyage. I don't think all the publicity these young sailors are getting helps, either.

Fascinating. It's amazing that someone so young would be driven in this way. I will side with the courts and her parents on this. It certainly sounds like she did a lot of things to ameliorate the judge's concerns. Good luck to her!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

This is one amazing story. I wish her all the luck in the world. I think it will be one exciting adventure, yet I would never let my child do it!!

Goz

Hope this isn't "Abby Sunderland" part 2... that her family has bought her the right kind of boat...

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Fascinating. It's amazing that someone so young would be driven in this way. I will side with the courts and her parents on this. It certainly sounds like she did a lot of things to ameliorate the judge's concerns. Good luck to her!

I agree!

Go Laura! I just can't imagine the maturity and drive a kid like this must have but regardelss of whether you are sailing around the world, driving on the freeway or jogging in a park; the world is a dangerous place so live life to its fullest and enjoy the adventure.

I have a 13 year old, and there's no way on God's green earth I would let him out in the ocean by himself. Or even with an experienced captain

I wish her the best of luck, but IMHO, I think we'll be getting a distress call one way or another.

And I don't understand why these youngsters want to go out ALONE. What's wrong with bringing someone with you?

I guess I don't understand these recent solo sails around the world. I have a hard enough time getting to the grocery store!

MOO

Mel

Maybe this time someone will die trying to rescue her.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
    And I don't understand why these youngsters want to go out ALONE. What's wrong with bringing someone with you?

Mel
    Absolutely! It seems to me this would be an awfully cool bonding trip with your family or a parent.

Also, I'm concerned that she doesn't seem to take the threat of pirates very seriously. She has a typically teenage attitude that nothing bad could really happen to her. I pray for the best, really!