Thread: Boys allegedly tried to drown puppy before grilling

Boys allegedly tried to drown puppy before grilling

Oldest charged in theft, cutting of a dog earlier

SPRINGFIELD Two boys accused of fatally roasting a puppy on a barbecue grill first tried to drown the pet, but it survived, police say.

Afterward, the boys, ages 14 and 11, put the puppy on an old gas grill and set it on fire using charcoal, according to police reports.

The burning happened behind a boarded-up home on Carden Circle, part of Springfield's public housing facilities, on July 24.

Neighbor Dregis Freeman, 10, came along, saw the burning under way and tried to help the puppy before it died. He said the other boys said they wanted to see what it tasted like.

''I saw them burning the dog,'' said Dregis, whose nickname is ''Li'l Dee.''

''I saw it, and I saw smoke. I went running back to tell. I was thinking it was mean.''

In other developments, the 14-year-old is charged with stealing and cutting another dog just a few days earlier. Two other boys, ages 10 and 13, also are charged in that case. None had been in trouble with Springfield Police before now.

The boys are believed to be two brothers, a cousin and a friend. Their names have not been released by police, citing their status as minors.

Also, the father of one boy was arrested yesterday and charged with aggravated assault on a neighbor in a fight related to the group of children.

While many adults are asking how any child could torture a puppy that way, they also are praising Dregis Freeman for trying to save the pet.

Dregis went to an adult neighbor's house asking for a bucket of water and a towel to nurse the burning dog. The neighbor called 911 and later confirmed to police that Dregis wasn't involved in the cruelty.

By the time Dregis and the neighbor returned, the puppy had crawled off the grill and made it a few feet away, barking and yelping. It died moments later.

http://www.tennessean.com/local/arch...nt_ID=55440748

This sickens me. That poor puppy. Where do these kids learn things like this?

Here is an example of a full blown sociopath... at age 14.

Intervention, imho, is too late at this point.

future serial killers...where are these parents??? they are lucky i didn't catch them...no, I am lucky i didn't catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket

I agree 100% I wouldn't normally say this about children, but these kids are little ba$tards that need to be severely punished!

My God, how could they?? don't they value life, even an animal's???
    This is outrageous ...
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

I am blown away. Jeffrey Daumer move over...there is room beside you in hell for a coupla future killers...
    Just my opinion anyway... cheers!

Punishment doesn't help. (imho.) As an example, do you think punishing Ted Bundy would have helped?

Intervention, is too late. They are full blown sociopaths at this point.

There are people who think that these children can be saved, and that we should spend resources to try to turn them around. Imho, that's a waste of society's time and effort. They have already chosesn, their life's path. It is fixed.

Society could best spend it resources, by changing the way we, as a society, let people raise children.

The first seven years of a child's life are critical in forming personality, how the child sees the world, and their relationship to it.

I really wish i hadn't read this. I am so sickened by this story. Anyone who could do this to a helpless puppy is way beyond help child or not. Disgusting!
    Kathleen

What bothers me is that "The neighbor called 911 and later confirmed to police that Dregis wasn't involved in the cruelty." The kid is doing the right thing, and ends up needing to prove he was doing the right thing. What it he had just taken it upon himself to try to save the dog, and someone found him with it? Would he have been accused of the crime?

At least someone is raising their kids the right way.
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

Maybe intervention is too late, but someone has to do something... if nothing else, then set an example with these kids by locking them up until they're 18 or whatever the age is.

Tough week for dogs

It's been a horrible few weeks with animals - here's a local story about a DV that involved killing a puppy.
    http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sit...ry/html/170223
    There is NO excuse for family violence.

Quote Originally Posted by bookbakery
    Maybe intervention is too late, but someone has to do something... if nothing else, then set an example with these kids by locking them up until they're 18 or whatever the age is.
    I don't think they can lock them up for this. DeputyLinda may know. Now, this is the perfect opportunity for LE to watch these kids as I agree w/ Sprocket. Full blown sociopath showing their traits and it will escalate. Also notice the angry parent trying to protect and/or deny what others were saying about their kid. Here we go with the learned violence reaction.

Sick Sick Sick!!!

Punishment doesn't help. (imho.) Intervention, is too late. They are full blown sociopaths at this point.

There are people who think that these children can be saved, and that we should spend resources to try to turn them around. Imho, that's a waste of society's time and effort. They have already chosesn, their life's path. It is fixed.
    Society could best spend it resources, by changing the way we, as a society, let people raise children.
    The first seven years of a child's life are critical in forming personality, how the child sees the world, and their relationship to it.
    Sprocket, what is it exactly that you think we are doing wrong, that results in this kind of behavior??
    Hearing about these things really scares me. It happens all too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo
    Sprocket, what is it exactly that you think we are doing wrong, that results in this kind of behavior??
    You did not ask me, but I have an opinion on this. Some children are just headed this direction due to whatever imbalances are in their bodies. But I have seen some children who behave this way because:
    1) They were considered to be nuisances from the day they were born. They have no concept of unconditional love.
    2) No one has ever taught them that the behavior is not acceptable.
    3) In their house, that kind of behavior IS acceptable.
    4) No one is supervising the children, to stop them when things get out of hand.
    5) The parent is TOO nice. No stand is taken when unacceptable behavior starts.
    6) There are no specific, acceptable boundaries for behaviors. In an ideal house, if a child accidentally spills their milk, the discipline might be to clean it up (or help clean it up), and possibly would have to have water for the meal if the family was on a strict budget or there was no more milk. In a non-ideal house, the child gets yelled at, sent to their room without supper, or possibly smacked. None of that explains to the child why spilling milk is a problem.
    7) The child has too much. They feel smothered, and need to break free, often using poor judgment in their desparate attempt to be what they want to be instead of what their parents want them to be.

I find that most of the children who have behavioral issues are just looking for someone to talk to them as if they are human beings and count for something. Each person is motivated by something diffferent, and the parent has to know what it is and channel it. If they don't, the child feels like no one cares, and if they don't care, why should he/she?

Just my observations.
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    I don't think they can lock them up for this. DeputyLinda may know. Now, this is the perfect opportunity for LE to watch these kids as I agree w/ Sprocket. Full blown sociopath showing their traits and it will escalate. Also notice the angry parent trying to protect and/or deny what others were saying about their kid. Here we go with the learned violence reaction.
    in most jurisdictions juveniles cannot be found "guilty" but can be found "delinquent" , and locked up until age 18.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by deputylinda
    in most jurisdictions juveniles cannot be found "guilty" but can be found "delinquent" , and locked up until age 18.
    An inside look at the lives of two future serial killers.

Remember these names - they will be in the news again, some time in the future, after they get a second chance and are picked up for murder!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

I have a REAL big problem with this.
    I don't think locking these people up helps either Sprocket. Not at all.
    This crap starts early. Starts with the parents and the grandparents etc. etc.
    I think if we, as a society, started hold the parents and the kids accountable for these attrocities, some people would start using better birth control methods. Child murders, parents go to jail for murder too. Sounds harsh doesn't it? Yup. Told yall this one gets me...

These kids are Serial killers to be unless something "miraclesque" is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo
    I recommend reading the excerpt from Robert Ressler's book, WHOEVER FIGHTS MONSTERS I posted at FFJ. Here's a short excerpt of what I copied at FFJ:

From birth to age six or seven, studies have shown, the most important adult figure in a child's life is the mother, and it is in this time period that the child learns what love is. Relationships between our subjects and their mothers were uniformly cool, distant, unloving, neglectful. There was very little touching, emotional warmth, or training in the ways in which normal human beings cherish one another and demonstrate their affection and interdependence. These children were deprived of something more important than money--love. They ended up paying for that deprivation during the remainder of their lives, and society suffered, too, because their crimes removed many people from the world and their assaultive behavior left alive equally as many victims who remain permanently scarred.

The abuse that the children endured was both physical and mental. Society has understood somewhat that physical abuse is a precursor to violence, but the emotional component may be as important. One woman propped her infant son in a cardboard box in front of the television set, and left for work; later, she'd put him in a playpen, toss in some food, and let the TV set be the baby-sitter until she came home again. A second man reported to us that he had been confined to his room during his childhood evenings; when he wandered into the living room at such times, he was shooed away and told that evening was the time when his mother and father wanted to be alone together; he grew up believing he was an unwanted boarder in his own home. "

These children grew up in an environment in which their own actions were ignored, and in which there were no limits set on their behavior. It is part of the task of parenting to teach children what is right and wrong; these were the children who managed to grow up without being taught that poking something into a puppy's eye is harmful and should not be done, or that destroying property is against the rules. The task of the first half-dozen years of life is socialization, of teaching children to understand that they live in a world that encompasses other people as well as themselves, and that proper interaction with other people is essential. The children who grow up to murder never truly comprehend the world in other than egocentric terms, because their teachers--principally their mothers--do not train them properly in this important matter.

And here is the link to the entire excerpt:

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/foru...ead.php?t=4494

Quote Originally Posted by Bhodirasta
    I have a REAL big problem with this.
    I don't think locking these people up helps either Sprocket. Not at all.
    This crap starts early. Starts with the parents and the grandparents etc. etc.
    I think if we, as a society, started hold the parents and the kids accountable for these attrocities, some people would start using better birth control methods. Child murders, parents go to jail for murder too. Sounds harsh doesn't it? Yup. Told yall this one gets me...

These kids are Serial killers to be unless something "miraclesque" is done.
    I think this is a great idea! I am definitely for their little butts being thrown in jail to pay for what they did, but I think the parents need to face punishment, too. Why? Because this is your kid or kids and you should know the who, what, where, when & why of what's going on with them. I know my parents did when I was a child.
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

GO STEELERS!