643 users online (70 members and 573 guests)  

Websleuths News

Mom charged with DWI after girl calls 911 from car

Mom charged with DWI after girl calls 911 from car

Watch Related Video

Child in Car Calls 911 to Report Drunk Mom

Advertisement

Buy AP Photo Reprints
    InteractiveDUI by State SOUTHEAST, N.Y. (AP) -- A woman has been arrested on drunken driving charges in upstate New York after her 12-year-old daughter called 911 while in the vehicle.
    State police say 49-year-old Jamie Hicks of Long Island was driving with her two children near Brewster when she was stopped Sunday night after her daughter called 911 to say her mother was driving drunk.
    Police say Hicks had a blood-alcohol content of 0.18, more than twice the legal limit.
    The Islip woman was charged under a new law that makes it a felony to drive drunk with minors in a vehicle. She was arraigned and released on $2,000 bond.
    Hicks declined to comment to the Newsday newspaper. She is due back in court on Aug. 17.

A woman has been arrested on drunken driving charges in upstate New York after her 12-year-old daughter called 911 while in the vehicle.
    State police say 49-year-old Jamie Hicks of Long Island was driving with her two children near Brewster when she was stopped Sunday night after her daughter called 911 to say her mother was driving drunk.
    Police say Hicks had a blood-alcohol content of 0.18, more than twice the legal limit.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Good for her kid, at least she has some sense. I do worry about possible repercussions from her mother later on especially after reading another article stating that when the dispatch called back cause the call dropped the mother was berating her.

Good for this child. I'm glad she was brave enough to call. She probably saved her and her brothers life.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

If my opinion, that girl is a real hero! Who knows how many people she saved by making that call!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

I say GOOD for this child -- what a hero You know - it's just not worth it. In the early days I went to a friends house with my son (hubby wasn't there), had a few glasses of wine, thought - eh, I could drive home. Then said to self - don't be so stupid. I would have slept in the car, but instead spent the night at my friend's house. The more sensible option would have been not to drink at all.

Nowadays, I only have my vino at home because that experience really scared me. It doesn't take much for some people to get drunk really fast. Not excusing this woman at all, just sharing -- she should have never gotten in that car.

Just sharing --

MOO

Mel

You are so right!

ITA! This child is a Hero and hopefully a wake-up call for the mother. I thank God that I never hurt myself or anyone else during my young and dumb days. When I became a mother over 22 years ago, that nonsense stopped. I still enjoy a nice beverage or two, but plans are always in place before the drinks flow.

Quote Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
    I say GOOD for this child -- what a hero You know - it's just not worth it. In the early days I went to a friends house with my son (hubby wasn't there), had a few glasses of wine, thought - eh, I could drive home. Then said to self - don't be so stupid. I would have slept in the car, but instead spent the night at my friend's house. The more sensible option would have been not to drink at all.

Nowadays, I only have my vino at home because that experience really scared me. It doesn't take much for some people to get drunk really fast. Not excusing this woman at all, just sharing -- she should have never gotten in that car.

Just sharing --

MOO

Mel
    By today's definitions of DUI, most of us over the age of 45 have ''driven drunk" -- you were a wise woman -- power to you for making the right choice

Quote Originally Posted by 4Kat View Post
    ITA! This child is a Hero and hopefully a wake-up call for the mother. I thank God that I never hurt myself or anyone else during my young and dumb days. When I became a mother over 22 years ago, that nonsense stopped. I still enjoy a nice beverage or two, but plans are always in place before the drinks flow.
    Absolutely. My husband isn't much of a drinker, so he is always the designated driver even if I have 1 glass of wine with dinner (now that I'm older, that's my limit if we go out).

MOO

Mel

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
    Absolutely. My husband isn't much of a drinker, so he is always the designated driver even if I have 1 glass of wine with dinner (now that I'm older, that's my limit if we go out).

MOO

Mel
    I think we lucked out. My husband doesn't drink either. It's nice to have that built-in designated driver when you need it.