GUILTY OH - Caleb Durig, 8 mos, bitten, beaten to death, Troy, 26 July 2010

fhc

Reaction score
http://www.whiotv.com/news/24396734/detail.html

"The Miami County Coroner’s Office found that the boy died from multiple blunt force trauma," said Troy police Capt. Chris Anderson

According to court documents, the baby suffered facial bruises to the forehead, cheek and on the leg that appeared to have been caused by biting. The documents also stated that Calab had an open wound on his face, ligature marks around his neck and blood coming from his nose.

Jason Durig, 29, and Tara, 27, appeared before a judge in Miami County Tuesday morning and was arraigned on the charges

Jason Durig, according to court records, spent time in jail for child endangering in the past. He was sentenced to 18 months in prison in June 2007 after a 1-month-old baby was scalded while Durig was giving the child a bath

Justice for Calab

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/local/miami/Details-of-Troy-baby's-death-revealed

In court documents, Detective T.G. Sloan states there was a considerable amount of dried blood on Caleb's face. He also observed considerable bruising on his left cheek, back, and chest. There was also what appeared to be an adult size bite mark on the baby's left calf. Police also found blood on the floor and rails of the baby's crib.

"We observed petechia in the eyes, which through my training, can be a sign of suffocation and/ or strangulation," wrote Detective Sloan.

Police reports also stated that Jason Durig had another child who had been taken away from him a few years ago after the child, who was one month old at the time, was scalded in a hot bath by Durig. Jason Durig was sentenced to serve 18 months in prison for that crime

Another precious, innocent life lost to incompetence and evil.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blog...ts/entries/2010/07/27/troy_jason_e_durig.html

Although this is called a blog. I trust this source.

Jason E. Durig, the Troy man charged with child endangering in connection with the death of his 8-month-old son, served 16 months in prison for scalding another baby in a bath.

“You should never have custody of another child in your entire life,” Miami County Common Pleas Judge Robert Lindeman told Durig during his June 2007 sentencing.

Why in the world was this man who was convicted of child endangering in 2007 allowed access to this child?

Good lord this poor baby.

police reports also stated that Jason Durig had another child who had been taken away from him a few years ago after the child, who was one month old at the time, was scalded in a hot bath by Durig.

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/local/miami/Details-of-Troy-baby's-death-revealed

OMG, why were they allowed to have this precious baby?

I wonder, was Calab's mother also the mother of the "other child" that was taken away from Jason Durig in 2007?
It's just so sad, I can't get my mind around anyone harming a tiny, helpless infant. And it seems to happen so much these days!

why is it that these 's always bite their victims (along with other forms of abuse)

is it a form of torture or what? it just strikes me as strange b/c normally we hear of little kids, like toddlers, biting each other in day care or something

RIP Calab and may your murderers die in prison

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...arges-in-death-of-8-month-old-son-843371.html

The Miami County prosecutor filed a murder charge Tuesday, Aug. 3, against the father of Caleb Durig, the 8-month-old who died last week from multiple blunt-force trauma.

The baby’s mother, Tara Durig, 27, was charged Tuesday with permitting child abuse, a first-degree felony. She also faces a pending charge of child endangering, a third-degree felony, Nasal said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blog...ts/entries/2010/07/27/troy_jason_e_durig.html

Although this is called a blog. I trust this source.

Why in the world was this man who was convicted of child endangering in 2007 allowed access to this child?

Good lord this poor baby.

Kat here is answer to your question re how this creep had access to another child. No one stepped up to the plate for precious little Caleb....

At his 2007 sentencing for scalding a one-month-old boy, Jason E. Durig pleaded ignorance. “I didn’t know what to do,” Durig told Miami County Common Pleas Judge Robert Lindeman. “What I am guilty of, basically, is being inexperienced.”

Ann Stevens, spokeswoman for the Montgomery County Department of Job and Family Services said child protection officials are limited by both resources and legal jurisdiction. “We cannot keep a case open indefinitely,” Stevens said. “We don’t have a police state. You can’t just have a government agency involved in your life forever.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/8-month-olds-death-from-blunt-force-trauma-832652.html

Sentenced to 18 mos - he served 16 mos - with what we all know about prison over crowding and time served, it appears he didn't take responsibility for the injury to his first child or he had poor behavior while in prison - since most perps serve 10% to 20% of the sentence before being released.

Miami County Prosecutor Gary Nasal: When asked if Durig did counseling or any anger management as part of his sentence. Nasal said, "The court did not order any special conditions relative to his interrelation with children"

"It might be too late for Caleb but maybe this was his purpose that everybody can speak out now so that you know if something isn't looking right or sounding right. You speak out so that that next baby is still here," said Amber Temple, one of the grieving members of the community.

http://abc.daytonsnewssource.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wkef_vid_4042.shtml

I would like to know why there was no anger management or parenting classes ordered. Are officials never going to understand - this will happen over and over without intervention? And while I am 110% behind longer sentencing for first time perps, holding someone for 18 mos then setting them free to hurt others is not the answer.

Comments from the vigil....

"It's pathetic that I can sit outside and hear that baby cry for three hours. 2-3 hours on end, while they're sitting outside with their doors closed. Doors, blinds, everything closed. No baby monitors nothing," said (neighbor) K B.

Many of the neighbors now feel guilty for not acting on their suspicions! The Durig's next door neighbor plans to move out of the apartment - facing the make-shift memorial is too disturbing!

AB, who lived next door to the Durigs, is so haunted by Caleb’s death Monday that she wants to move. “I can’t wait to get out of here,” AB said. “I walk to my front door and there is the memorial and you are reminded of it every day. If they had just said ‘we need help,’ we could have helped them,” AB said. “I’m trying not to cry.”

I think one of the problems is that a scalding could possibly be an accident and the guy was just an idiot. We know better. But that sliver of doubt surely was there in court and played up by his defense attorney. He even used the 'inexperienced' line.

I hope and pray that this 'mother' and I use that term very loosely, is not also the 'mother' of the child that was taken away.

If this is the case, she should also be charged with murder. Why is it that these women pick up losers and do not have the brains to use birth control, which is cheap, or often free?

Why would anyone subject their child to a monster?:croc:

why is it that these 's always bite their victims (along with other forms of abuse)

is it a form of torture or what? it just strikes me as strange b/c normally we hear of little kids, like toddlers, biting each other in day care or something

RIP Calab and may your murderers die in prison

Great question!! I found this:

Causes
Children usually discover biting by chance when they are about 1 year old and teething. Most children first learn to bite by biting their parents in a playful manner. It is important to try to interrupt this primitive behavior at this early stage. The biting often continues because the parents initially think it is cute and the child considers it a game to get attention.

Later, children may bite when they are frustrated and want something from another child. At an age when children have minimal verbal skills, biting becomes a primitive form of communication. Only after a child is 2 or 3 years old does biting become a deliberate way to express anger and intimidate others.

http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/articledetail.cfm?id=853

I think one of the problems is that a scalding could possibly be an accident and the guy was just an idiot. We know better. But that sliver of doubt surely was there in court and played up by his defense attorney. He even used the 'inexperienced' line.

Possibly, but the courts didn't buy it either - it was this judge who said he should never be allowed access to another child as long as he lived!!

He had to know if the water was hot enough to "scald" that it was too hot to be pouring on a 4 week old infant or anyone for that matter... Their doctor supposedly told the parents to take him to Children's Hospital but he claimed insufficient funds for gas and took him elsewhere. They didn't seek treatment soon enough was another problem.

I had a client years ago who scalded their newborn with boiling hot formula, so hot that the nipple popped off like a cork - a case of low IQ and "inexperience". Again no medical treatment until granny came down over the weekend. (4 or 5 days later) They got their child back and had been on weekly - in home, follow up counseling for 16 mos when I got the case - they moved to another county after I had them for a year - my supervisor told me she was relieved they were no longer "our problem" - which was when I resigned.

I had gotten a call one day at home from this "mother" because the baby (who never cried) had been in the crib, "crying for over an hour", instead of sleeping. When I told her to go check on her daughter, (duh) the baby's leg was caught in between the slats on the crib. She didn't call me over concern for her crying baby, it was because the crying was making her nuts.

The people who have the ability to help, don't - way too often. I was just a "grunt" the eyes and ears of the county, who wrote volumes about this family - thinking something would be done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back