1038 users online (222 members and 816 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dog Training: Animal Experts Debunk the Alpha-Dog Myth

Last edited by Dark Knight; 07-30-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Love to hear what Caesar Milan says about this.

Couldn't get the link to work, just commenting on the info in the title.

Darn I got a page not found when I clicked on the link. I really wanted to read that article too.

Good article. I use positive reinforcement only with puppies and older dogs I've had in my care or owned.

It has never failed me. I have never attempted to use punative discipline with an animal because IMHO it just won't work.

I don't know about all the "dog psychology" that is being talked about in that article. I just know that if you use positive reinforcement, praise when they do something right, redirection when they do something wrong with a firm but soft "no" they usually always respond.

I'll probably get taken to task for this next statement LOL because kids are not animals but that is how I approach and have approached raising my own children and dealing with other people's children in the past.

I don't have to physically intimidate an animal, or strike, hit or beat an animal to get acceptable behavior out of it. Just like I don't have to strike, hit or beat a child.

But that's JMHO. Loved the article DK thanks!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Good article. I use positive reinforcement only with puppies and older dogs I've had in my care or owned.

It has never failed me. I have never attempted to use punative discipline with an animal because IMHO it just won't work.

I don't know about all the "dog psychology" that is being talked about in that article. I just know that if you use positive reinforcement, praise when they do something right, redirection when they do something wrong with a firm but soft "no" they usually always respond.

I'll probably get taken to task for this next statement LOL because kids are not animals but that is how I approach and have approached raising my own children and dealing with other people's children in the past.

I don't have to physically intimidate an animal, or strike, hit or beat an animal to get acceptable behavior out of it. Just like I don't have to strike, hit or beat a child.

But that's JMHO. Loved the article DK thanks!

Agree with you!

Personally, I think dog training is very simular to child training.

Honestly, I have been kicked off and banned on prenting boards for sayying so! I STILL say, if I can teach a dog, with the brain the size of a walnut, to sit & stay, surely a two year old can be expected to! I say this when parents would whine their little darling won't sit & stay in "time out." rofl. I would ask them if they though my dog was smarter than their two year old. You want to see parents get all huffy? Just say that!
    Last edited by Linda7NJ; 07-30-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    Agree with you!

Honestly, I have been kicked off and banned on prenting boards for sayying so! I STILL say, if I can teach a dog, with the brain the size of a walnut, to sit, surely a two year old can be expected to! I say this when parents would whine their little darling won't sit & stay in "time out." rofl. I would ask them if they though my dog was smarter than their two year old. You want to see parents get all huffy? Just say that!

LOL! I've wondered how similar it could be. I'm retraining my dogs right now to walk properly, sit before getting food, treats, etc.

Thanks for the interesting article! I love Victoria Stillwell, and it was from watching her show that we taught our dog to sit, speak, lay down, and stay away from the door when the doorbell rings.

I've never seen Cesar Millan, but he was on the funniest episodes of South Park I've ever seen. I don't know how he is in real life, but he was hilarious when he controlled Eric Cartman on that cartoon.

Dog Training: Animal Experts Debunk the Alpha-Dog Myth

I use on water spray bottle on my yorkies when they want listen, my female barks at me and comes back for more. She don't care! My male will listen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOL QueenD, she's a rascal coming back for more hehe. Made me giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    Agree with you!

Honestly, I have been kicked off and banned on prenting boards for sayying so! I STILL say, if I can teach a dog, with the brain the size of a walnut, to sit, surely a two year old can be expected to! I say this when parents would whine their little darling won't sit & stay in "time out." rofl. I would ask them if they though my dog was smarter than their two year old. You want to see parents get all huffy? Just say that!
    I will agree with both of you too. I have a very stubborn dog (hound) but positive reinforcement and redirection worked for me. That and consistency. My dog may be stubborn, but he learns quick.

Also my little "darling" wouldn't stay in time out. My two year old daughter was more stubborn than the dog. I had to physically put her on my lap to keep her in time out.

Anyway, kid or dogs, I don't believe in hitting either of them to train them.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Being the leader of the pack does not involve hitting. I really hate it when these groups come out and use false information to try to debunk something they don't like. IMO, there is more than one right way to do most things, animal training included. I am dominant over my dog. If I weren't he would run the house, and thats my job. I've never hit him. One thing I've learned from being around people is that most of them think their way is the only right way.

"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler".

Albert Einstein

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

Mahatma Gandhi

I'm using info I got that I think is based on Milan's. Human = alpha. Jack is right; it never says to hit them or anything like that. Just tell them no and correct them, make them earn food, treats, etc.

All I've changed is we started doing a "pack walk," and they are earning walks, food, water. It seems to be working!

Thanks for the link. I like both Victoria and Cesar they both are great trainers. But I have to say that there is a reason Cesar is called the dog whisper. He is amazing with canines period. As Cesar says exercise, then discipline, and finally, affection. As the human pack leader, you must set rules, boundaries, and limitations and always project a calm-assertive energy.
    "Please note - this is a message board, not a blog. Thank you"... Sincerely, Tricia Griffith and the Websleuths Family

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast