PA PA - Philadelphia, 30th St Station, AsianMale 20-30, UP7438, gun stolen from WI, note, scars, Apr'94

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brand new DoeNet case, just added yesterday. But the link didn't work until today.

The Doe Network:
Case File 1213UMPA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1213umpa.html

1213UMPA.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified Male

* The victim was discovered on April 22, 1994 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 20-30 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'9"; 168 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Asian or Hispanic. Black hair; brown eyes. No tattoos noted. 1/4" round scar on inner right knee; upper left chest had hyperpigmented brown area; right face & neck area; forehead. Circumsized.
* Clothing: White sneakers, Etonic brand, size 7 1/2; white socks; blue jeans, Bugle Boy brand; white undershorts with print; white long-sleeved sweatshirt with "Palm Beach, USA" on the front, size XL.
* Dentals: Natural teeth.

Case History
The victim was located in a men's room at the 30th Street Station in Philadelphia. He had shot himself.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Philadelphia Medical Examiner's Office
215-823-7444
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
94-2003

Wish we could see more of the UID's ears -- the part we can see looks just a trifle off to me. Also the space between lips and nose looks off. But that might be reading too much into a reconstruction sketch. The demographics look pretty good, though not perfect.

The demographics look pretty good, though not perfect.

I wonder if the demographics and photo are lifted from a driver's license or similar. If so they may have been several years old. One inch and 20 lbs between ages of 16 and 21 would be par for the course I'd say. Although the photo of Anthony could be more recent, I'd also say that he looks a few years younger than 21.

Presumably if he were found shot to death in a men's room the body hadn't been there long though, so the reconstruction should be pretty good. Two miles and two weeks is by no means impossible but it's in an urban setting - had this person been found in the woods, I'd call that parking up. In a city it's a significant discontinuity but not impossible if he were having an episode of mental illness.

Edited to add: Carl, you're a little bit off on the distance although I don't think it's significant. It's about 4 miles from where the car was found to the body's location. Anthony's home is at A, the car's location is at B, and the station is at C. All are pretty close together. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....955543,-75.169144&spn=0.072767,0.154324&z=13

Presumably if he were found shot to death in a men's room the body hadn't been there long though, so the reconstruction should be pretty good.
It appears to be the work of the artist that did another Philadelphia case for which a postmortem photo is available, and IMO the reconstruction looked nothing like the decedent.

BTW, It was that case (1201UMPA) that got me thinking of doing my own reconstructions, and it was the first one of my drawings that DoeNetwork put on their site.

I really think you should submit that as a possible match.

Wow, I think it you should definitely submit this.

I wonder how old the photo of Anthony was? If it were a recent photo then the length of hair would rule the UID out since Anthony was only missing for about a month before the UID was found and his hair appears to be much shorter than the UID.

Thinking out loud -
Anthony was last seen on March 20th, His car found on March 25 and the UID was found on April 22nd. Was anything wrong with the car when they found it? Was it out of gas or something similar that would stop it from running? Did it look like there was foul play involved? It just seems unlikely to me that he would discard the only means of transportation he had access to unless there was a reason. If he dumped the car because he suspected the car would be reported (when he was flagged as missing) then why would he stay in a three mile radius of where the car was left for almost a month afterwards?

Im curious why there havent been actual photos of the UID released - he killed himself - 30th Street Station (amtrak) is HUGE and there are security cameras everywhere (less in 1994 Im sure, but still some) - wouldnt you think that the cameras caught the UID at some point between walking into the station and going to the bathroom?

Photo of 30th street station:
http://k41.pbase.com/u45/phillytrax/upload/33803536.30th_street_station.jpg

It appears to be the work of the artist that did another Philadelphia case for which a postmortem photo is available, and IMO the reconstruction looked nothing like the decedent.

BTW, It was that case (1201UMPA) that got me thinking of doing my own reconstructions, and it was the first one of my drawings that DoeNetwork put on their site.

Wow, that is just shocking!! I think I always just assumed the reconstruction would get it spot on, apparently not.

I've read about a style of reconstruction drawing that doesn't try to look realistic, in fact strives for an almost "caricature" effect that calls attention to the decedent's key features. So in this case they'd be calling attention to the full pouty "rosebud" mouth, hooded eyes, pronounced eyebrows, and almost triangular face. The idea is that since many of the details, like the tip of the nose, are unknown or hard to estimate after death, and can create a very different appearance if they're off by even a bit, it's better to leave them out.

I got this information from a course description about a forensic art class I was thinking about taking several years ago...

I called the Philly MedEx office and told the man on the line that I was inquiring about this case. I gave him all the details of this case including case number and he looked it up. He asked "is this a suicide case"? and I said yeah. He responded "Frankie Barron". I said, "You mean this guy has been identified"? He said "yeah, they have not yet claimed the body". After about five minutes of trying to verify that we were talking about the same case, it turned out that he keyed in the wrong case number. When he re-keyed the case number that I gave him from DoeNetwork, he said that the system returned a "case file not found".

He then told me to call back tomorrow and ask for Steve Olsweski. Hopefully, I'll have better luck dealing with Mr. Olsweski.

Okay, if I disappear I want CarlK on my case, k?
He'll really whip up on LE if they slack off :thewhip:

I got ahold of Steve Olsweski. He says that he knows about Anthony Garcia's case, but doesn't have any indication that he has been looked at with regard to this case. So he will pull his file and take a look.

He also said that they are now going through their old UID cold cases, and we should be seeing a few more in the near future.

I called Steve Olsweski for an update on this submission. They had contacted LE in charge of Anthony Garcia's MP case and requested fingerprints or dentals.

So far, LE has not gotten back to them with either. Anthony Garcia is in CODIS, but the UID is not, and he doesn't think there are any blood or tissue samples from which they can get DNA.

He said to call back in a few weeks.

I don't see this UID in Namus and Anthony Garcia's profile is still there.

UID is still in NamUs but with postmortem pics, not the sketch.
https://identifyus.org/cases/7438

Definitely not Anthony Garcia. He looks more Asian than Hispanic, and he looks nothing like the sketch.

At first, I thought it was a different case. The dates are different. NamUs indicates July 22, 1994. DoeNet indicates April 22, 1994. But based on the description, it clearly appears to be the same case.

I agree he looks nothing like the sketch, however I'm on the fence whether I think he looks more Asian than Hispanic. He looks Asian in one of the two postmortem photo's. Not sure what to think of that as he does in one but not the other.

I also think he looks very young. I would guess no older than 24.

I agree he looks nothing like the sketch, however I'm on the fence whether I think he looks more Asian than Hispanic. He looks Asian in one of the two postmortem photo's. Not sure what to think of that as he does in one but not the other.

I also think he looks very young. I would guess no older than 24.

he looks Southeast Asian to me as in Laos, Cambodia, possibly Vietnamese or Indonesian/Malaysian.

does not particularly look Thai to me and I am not familiar with those Burma/Myanmar so I can't say if that nationality is in the running.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back