681 users online (84 members and 597 guests)  

Websleuths News

up north

MI - Jerome Peters - 53 years old - Deerfield Township - 28 July 2010

Deerfield Township man, 53, missing since Wednesday
    Published: Friday, July 30, 2010, 10:45 PM
    David Harris | Flint Journal

DEERFIELD TOWNSHIP, Michigan Police are looking for a 53-year-old Otter Lake man that has been missing since Wednesday.

Police said the man, Jerome Peters, called his wife around 5:15 p.m. Wednesday, complaining he had low blood sugar levels and needed medication. He said he was located somewhere in the vicinity of Barnes Lake and Klam roads. His wife could not find him and called police.

Michigan State Police Lt. Pat McGreevy said police searched the area and found the man's vehicle about six miles near Norway Lake Road, west of M-24 in Deerfield Township. McGreevy said the area is heavily-wooded and swampy.

The Oakland County Sheriff's Department Aviation unit assisted in the effort as well, according to police.

It is unknown what Peters was last wearing.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Michigan State Police Lapeer post at (810) 664-2905

up north

MSP seeks help in missing man case

Friday, July 30, 2010

A search will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday.

up north

Lapeer County searches for missing man

Updated at 07:17 PM today
    Candace Burns

LAPEER COUNTY (WJRT) -- (07/31/10) -- Dozens of people from Mid-Michigan are on the lookout for an Otter Lake man.

Jerome Peters, 56, was last seen on Wednesday. His wife says he called her in a panic, telling her he was lost in the woods.

Saturday, Jerome's family organized a search team with volunteers from the community. They believe Jerome may be in the woods near Norway Lake Road and M-24 in Lapeer County's Deerfield Township.

His family is hoping to find him before it is too late.

DEERFIELD TOWNSHIP (WJRT) -- (08/01/10) -- The search for the missing Otter Lake man has come to a sad end.

The search for 53-year-old Jerome Peters ended when they found his body in a lake.

His body was found in Lapeer County's Deerfield Township while crews searched near M-24 and Norway Lake Road.

Donna Peters reported her husband missing after getting a frantic phone call from him last Wednesday. She says her husband was lost in the woods after stopping to relieve himself along a Deerfield Township road.

Jerome's family is devastated that he wasn't found alive, but grateful for everyone who did their best to bring him home.

"We feel really proud of my community. Even though the police lost faith in my husband being here, these people didn't. These people went through ungodly circumstances, risking injury," said Donna.

"Once you're in there, you can't see the person standing two feet from you. It's just that thick. It's just been unbelievable, the amount of people out here, unbelievable," added Jerome's Sister Kathy Woodman.

State police found his truck, but Jerome was nowhere to be found. In her grief, Donna criticized state police, but later admitted their search was thorough. "Ran helicopters, dogs and guys on the ground"

Family members were told the body of Jerome was found in a lake, but its unclear exactly where. "I had talked to my husband the whole two hours he was lost out here in broken conversation. I was on the phone with him when he drown," explained Donna.

Woodman is proud of her brother for his perseverance. "That's why he was so far in the woods. He was not a quitter. He was going to get out."

Daughter Samantha Peters holds on to the positive in the situation. "Like my uncle told me .... we can never forget, he was coming home to us."

State police report they're waiting for an autopsy and toxicology reports before they can comment on the case.

Jerome was a father of three.