Sniff......we really might be all alone in the universe.

blueclouds

Former member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
HOW WOULD THEY KNOW???

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/08/05/space.planets.reut/index.html

Our solar system may be unique after all, despite the discovery of at least 120 other systems with planets, astronomers said on Wednesday.

All the other solar systems that have been found have big, gassy planets circling too close to their stars to allow them to be anything like Earth or its fellow planets, the British and U.S.-based researchers said.

blueclouds said:
HOW WOULD THEY KNOW???

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/08/05/space.planets.reut/index.html

Our solar system may be unique after all, despite the discovery of at least 120 other systems with planets, astronomers said on Wednesday.

All the other solar systems that have been found have big, gassy planets circling too close to their stars to allow them to be anything like Earth or its fellow planets, the British and U.S.-based researchers said.

Do the big gassy planets resemble URANUS? BWAHAHAHAHA!

BirdieBoo said:

lol birdie! who's to say other beings have to have air and water to live :waitasec: , zillions of possibilities.

BirdieBoo said:
Don't klingons live near uranus? :waitasec:

BirdieBoo said:
:laugh:

After all the people cruelty and animal cruelty stuff I've read today, I NEeded that! :) :) :p Thanks!

Do you mean to tell me that no one else believes in extraterrestrial intelligence?

Viktor, Sometimes I'm not even sure if I believe there is intelligent life ANYWHERE in the universe, ESPECIALLY on our own planet!

I was always under the impression, that scientists would have difficulty determing whether or not a sun/star had a relatively small, earth type planet circling it.

Imho, our solar system is not that "unique." We do have the gas giant(s), just like other solar systems do. What do you think Jupiter is?

Scientists are able to determine if a star has planets.... by the movement of the (I think it's the red shift..) star, or apparent movement of the star, when the giant planet passes in front of the stars light, and the star appears to "move." They compare this light, over a period of time... a few months, I think it is. This is easy for them to detect (now; wasn't easy ten years or so ago.. :D ) but, still not so easy when a smaller planet passes in front of the star.

Do I think we are the only planet that holds life in the universe? No.

If we are the only planet that has life, God help us.....

BirdieBoo said:
Viktor, Sometimes I'm not even sure if I believe there is intelligent life ANYWHERE in the universe, ESPECIALLY on our own planet!

Using the expression, Will you dazzle them with brilliance or baffle them with BS, it seems that it's often 1% of the former and 99% of the latter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back