The "sexting" revisited

debirlfan

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5480748&postcount=214"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Terri obtained new cell phones from friends to avoid investigator's scrutiny[/ame]

To quote from the above,
"Not only can a phone be taken over remotely, the phones can be reprogrammed, remotely, to look like they are still off."

So - how do we know that it was actually TH sexting the naughty pictures from her phone to Cook, and not someone else who had hijacked her phone sending photos that were already on the phone (perhaps that she had shared with her husband) and pretending to be her?

I've always thought that the whole sexting story sounded hinky, but I couldn't quite figure out how the photos could have been sent without TH's knowledge - this would explain how it could happen. If someone wanted to make her look bad/guilty.....

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Terri obtained new cell phones from friends to avoid investigator's scrutiny

To quote from the above,
"Not only can a phone be taken over remotely, the phones can be reprogrammed, remotely, to look like they are still off."

So - how do we know that it was actually TH sexting the naughty pictures from her phone to Cook, and not someone else who had hijacked her phone sending photos that were already on the phone (perhaps that she had shared with her husband) and pretending to be her?

I've always thought that the whole sexting story sounded hinky, but I couldn't quite figure out how the photos could have been sent without TH's knowledge - this would explain how it could happen. If someone wanted to make her look bad/guilty.....

With all due respect, TH doesn't need any help to look bad. Just don't help in a missing child investigation. That will do the trick.

For this theory to be feasible, we would have to assume that MC and TH never got flirtatious or referenced the texts/pics in person. As much as he was visiting her house to deliver food, I highly doubt that scenario.

Just curious what the extent of this is, and where the phone ping might originate if being operated remotely?

MC himself admitted to an "inappropriate" relationship, though denies having sex with TH.

I am sure LE would be able to tell if this happened. :detective:

Respectfully, seriously doubt she is being railroaded, yet again.

I can tell you that it is extremely unlikely (somewhere between pigs flying and hell freezing over) that Terri was in communication with someone who has the technical knowledge to do this. There are probably fewer than 100 people in the world that can accomplish this task, and that is a very generous guess.

The pictures and the time they are taken and sent would tell the story. Every photo has a foot print. If the photos were sent in the middle of communications or sexting and being monitored by LE I think it is pretty safe to say the photos were sent by Terri.

Michael Cook at any rate has given up much in the paper and admitted just about everything except sleeping with Terri. I'm sure LE knows exactly where the photos came from and on what date they were taken.

MC himself admitted to an "inappropriate" relationship, though denies having sex with TH.

It wouldn't be the first time someone faked intimacy with a POI in hopes of learning confidential information. Share a few glasses of wine, use her phone while she's in the potty? Sounds plausible to me.

Sorry again if I'm doing this wrong, but this cites some examples of people doing this using available technology that works with GPS enabled phones (pretty much any smart phone)?

http://www.womensenews.org/story/061001/hi-tech-stalking-devices-extend-abusers-reach

If I did something wrong, please let me know, and show me how to do it better? Still learning.

The guy in this article just used a gps enabeled phone to monitor his wife's whereabouts. He wasn't spying through her cell phone, although that is about the only thing he didn't do.

Security expert Robert Siciliano says he gets countless e-mails from victims of cell phone spying.

"When somebody remotely activates your phone, you're not going to know it and they can use that phone to monitor the conversations in the room you're in," he said. "Your phone could be sitting next to you while you are watching TV, and somebody can actually log into your phone and can actually watch what you are watching on television."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/cell-phon...erstalking-nightmare/story?id=10020677&page=1
March 8, 2010

I assume they could watch you do a lot of private things. Ick!

For this theory to be feasible, we would have to assume that MC and TH never got flirtatious or referenced the texts/pics in person. As much as he was visiting her house to deliver food, I highly doubt that scenario.

If MC was in on the plan, he certainly wouldn't have said anything - and visiting the house could have further have been part of the plan.

I think the bawdy messages and photos did indeed take place between Terri and MC and perhaps were in lieu of a physical affair that they could not find the privacy to accomodate and I do not believe for a moment that this guy is anyone LE would take under their wing as an undercover.

I think the bawdy messages and photos did indeed take place between Terri and MC and perhaps were in lieu of a physical affair that they could not find the privacy to accomodate and I do not believe for a moment that this guy is anyone LE would take under their wing as an undercover.

LE might not - but would Kaine?

I can tell you that it is extremely unlikely (somewhere between pigs flying and hell freezing over) that Terri was in communication with someone who has the technical knowledge to do this. There are probably fewer than 100 people in the world that can accomplish this task, and that is a very generous guess.

A news station shows how cell phone spyware DOES work. While it says here that they downloaded to her phone, it obviously doesn't take mad skillz to do so. The above link also shows that it can be done remotely (as another poster verified by her son using an app to do so to her phone --- guess he's one of those hundred? ).

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?s=9346833&clienttype=printable

Security experts say it's no internet hoax.

"It's real, and it is pretty creepy," said Rick Mislan, a former military intelligence officer who now teaches cyber forensics at Purdue University's Department of Computer and Information Technology.

Mislan has examined thousands of cell phones inside Purdue's Cyber Forensics Lab, and he says spy software can now make even the most high-tech cell phone vulnerable.

--

While Hebert was at home making phone calls to her family, investigative reporter Bob Segall was outside her house, listening to the conversations on his cell phone.

And there's more - much more.

Every time Hebert made or received a phone call, Segall received an instant text message, telling him that Hebert was talking on her cell phone so that Segall could call in and listen.

On his computer, Segall also got a copy of Hebert's text messages and a list of phone numbers detailing each incoming and outgoing call to Hebert's cell phone.

And no matter where Hebert went with her phone, Segall received constant satellite updates on her location. He could literally track Hebert anywhere she went.

"It's hard to believe you can do all that," Hebert said when she saw the spy software in action. "I think that's really scary."

It gets even scarier.

When spy software was installed onto Hebert's phone, that phone became an instant spy device - even when the phone was not being used.

As Hebert's cell phone was simply sitting on a table or attached to her purse, Segall could activate the speaker on the phone and secretly listen in to the phone's surroundings. While Hebert was in a meeting on the 36th floor of a downtown Indianapolis building, Segall heard her conversations, even though he was four miles away.

---

The United States government is familiar with spy software for cell phones.

In 2003 and 2004, the FBI used cell phone spy software to eavesdrop on the conversations of organized crime families in New York, and it used those conversations in its federal prosecutions.

Private investigator Tim Wilcox says several federal agencies rely on cell phone spying technology to monitor suspected criminals, and he says private citizens are now using the technology, too.

"The technology is there. It's been there a long time. It's accessible, and it's done all the time," Wilcox said.

--------

Kaine wouldn't have to do anything at all --- except give his permission for LE to use the spyware.

The concept of the sexting being a set-up, as well as of MC being some sort of undercover plant, are both stretches that I can't make. I'd need a few stepping stones in between that I'm not finding.

:cow:

The concept of the sexting being a set-up, as well as of MC being some sort of undercover plant, are both stretches that I can't make. I'd need a few stepping stones in between that I'm not finding.

:cow:

I can see him injecting himself into the case as he claimed he was doing, and as he appeared to have done since Kyron disappeared.

Security expert Robert Siciliano says he gets countless e-mails from victims of cell phone spying.

"When somebody remotely activates your phone, you're not going to know it and they can use that phone to monitor the conversations in the room you're in," he said. "Your phone could be sitting next to you while you are watching TV, and somebody can actually log into your phone and can actually watch what you are watching on television."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/cell-phon...erstalking-nightmare/story?id=10020677&page=1
March 8, 2010

I assume they could watch you do a lot of private things. Ick!

Could be a computer geek at Intel trying to help, just sayin' :couch:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313