706 users online (114 members and 592 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mortytbusybody View Post
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...hlight=561UFOH

Looks like this same match was also submitted by Snufamonbobball but I don't see a follow-up, so please keep us posted when you hear something.
    Hi mortybusybody,
    Thanks for post. I had been in contact with the case manager a number of times prior to my submission and during that time Grimm had not been submitted. I also did a search here a couple of days ago and could not find it. Will keep you posted.

ETA, I don't see where snufamonbobbal submitted it here either. Hoping she gets ID'd. I will try to get more familiar with the search feature. I don't know how I missed her here., That would have saved me a bit of time.
    Maybe we need more frequent follow up on the already posted cases here where someone wants a missing person discussed?
    Last edited by Mensch; 08-04-2010 at 03:18 PM.

OH - Licking County - Female 561UFOH, 25-40, April 1990 - *WARNING: GRAPHIC*

I searched and didn't see a specific thread for this UID (only "possible matches") so I thought I'd start one for her (if there is one for her please merge.)

Doe Network:
    http://doenetwork.org/cases/561ufoh.html

Namus:
    https://identifyus.org/cases/4768
    ***WARNING POST MORTEM PHOTO AT NAMUS LINK***

* The victim was discovered on April 19, 1990 in Hebron, Licking County, Ohio
    * Estimated Date of Death: 12-24 hours prior to discovery
    * Cause of Death: She was beaten by a blunt object across the face and neck

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 25-40 years old
    * Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2-5'3"; 110-115 lbs.
    * Distinguishing Characteristics: Reddish-brown hair; brown eyes. She had given birth to at least one child. Ears pierced once in each lobe. Fair complexion.
    * Distinguishing Marks: White mole to the right of her nose bridge. Small brown mole to right of umbilicus. Stretch marks characteristic of childbirth.
    * Clothing: White panties; no other clothes were found.
    * Dentals: Available. Fillings present.
    * Fingerprints: Available
    * DNA: Available

Case History
    The victim was located at the rear of the Pilot Travel Center, a truck stop at Interstate-70 and Route 37, in Licking County, Ohio on April 19, 1990.

The autopsy showed she had engaged in sexual activity not long before she was killed. Police believe she may have frequented truck stops.

She was buried June 18 in Spring Grove Cemetery at the county's expense.

A sketch and her description have been distributed to police departments and 3,200 truck stops across the United States. Deputies have been unable to match nationwide missing-reports to the victim.
    In March 1991, the Ohio attorney general's office set up a task force to investigate slayings of at least 11 women whose bodies had been dumped along highways in four states, including Ohio, between 1985 and 1990.
    Authorities said most of the slain women were known or suspected prostitutes who frequented truck stops.

Investigators
    If you have any information about this case please contact:
    Licking County Sheriff's Department
    740-670-5540
    You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 4034-90

Possible Match Gloria Fedyshyn???

What do you guys think of Gloria Fedyshyn as a possible match?

Doe Network:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1263dfbc.html

I thought they looked eerily similar and the age, height and involvement in the sex trade all fit with the UID. The two only negatives are:
    1) the distance from Vancouver to Ohio (though if she was frequenting truck stops she could have been traveling)
    2) Some reports say she went missing in January 1993 (though they still list her missing age as 27, so with a birth-date of Aug. 1962 she would have been 27 in January 1990)

I attached a photo of the post mortem pic next to a pic of Gloria, hopefully it works.

*WARNING POST MORTEM PICTURE IN ATTACHMENT BELOW*
    http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/...NDFEDYSHYN.jpg

I thought the bridge of the nose, the shape of the face and the eyebrows were spot on, plus what I can see of the hairline looks similar. Your input is appreciated.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-11-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Link to submitted match LINDA ROSE GRIMM:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110991
    Last edited by KateB; 05-10-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Frances Morales is a light-skinned white/hispanic woman last seen in Cumberland County, New Jersey in April 1990 but not reported missing until months later.

She's 27, in range. Her height is 5'3", which is right on. Weight 125 lbs. slightly high. Right coloring -- the postmortem photo clearly shows the red is dyed, probably maroon over dark brown. No mention either way of children. She appears to have pierced ears, and it looks to me like she could have facial spots in at least some of the same places as the UID (though the resolution's so poor I can't tell for sure.)

I especially noticed the very high round forehead and the small nose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by mortytbusybody View Post
    What do you guys think of Gloria Fedyshyn as a possible match?

Doe Network:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1263dfbc.html

I thought they looked eerily similar and the age, height and involvement in the sex trade all fit with the UID. The two only negatives are:
    1) the distance from Vancouver to Ohio (though if she was frequenting truck stops she could have been traveling)
    2) Some reports say she went missing in January 1993 (though they still list her missing age as 27, so with a birth-date of Aug. 1962 she would have been 27 in January 1990)

I attached a photo of the post mortem pic next to a pic of Gloria, hopefully it works. *WARNING POST MORTEM PICTURE IN ATTACHMENT BELOW*

I thought the bridge of the nose, the shape of the face and the eyebrows were spot on, plus what I can see of the hairline looks similar. Your input is appreciated.
    She does look very close. Linda Grimm doesn't, at least not to me.

From the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Snufamonbobball View Post
    I spoke with the Licking Co. ME investigator yesterday, and Ms. Grimm had not been looked at as a possible match for this Doe.

I was very happy to find out that no one there had forgotten about her. The investigator is still actively searching for her true identity and was not able to rule Ms. Grimm out immediately. She will be checking further into this possibilty and she said she would let me know when and if they rule her out, or match her.

Snufamonbobball
    So it looks as though the match is not new, but nor has it been followed up. Great job, Mensch, on finding this and re-opening it.

It's definitely worthy of submission and there is nothing that seems to discourage a match other than time/distance (and there are circumstances that make that time/distance much smaller).

This match needs to be investigated properly and followed up unless it turns out that there is an actual rule out already.

I spoke with the Licking Co. ME investigator yesterday, and Ms. Grimm had not been looked at as a possible match for this Doe.

I was very happy to find out that no one there had forgotten about her. The investigator is still actively searching for her true identity and was not able to rule Ms. Grimm out immediately. She will be checking further into this possibilty and she said she would let me know when and if they rule her out, or match her.

Snufamonbobball
    It seems that Grimm was submitted a year ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephani View Post
    It seems that Grimm was submitted a year ago...
    I have been dealing with the case manager and she said Linda had not been considered. This case was sent to me about 2 months ago and I started on it last month. Did my usual preliminary checks and information gathering and submitted Linda as a possible to the UID, considering the background, etc. and when I was told Linda had NOT been submitted, I turned in the information I had. What am I missing here? If someone does not think this is a match, then let's discuss it. Why the other thread on the same person without discussion here?
    Open forum discussion is new to me. I normally do my work and turn it in. I post a possible, a very good possible given a lot of research and it seems it is not acceptable. If someone sees a potential match, then they should back it up with a report and send it in. The LE investigator spoke with my ME contact a few days ago. That is precisely he is familiar with this case. I am only waiting to hear there is finally a name for this woman who had the most unspeakable treatment in this life so she can rest in peace. Again, if someone is musing on the possibility of a match, lets get on with a discussion and not leave it for months or up to a year. I have found no where here that it was submitted prior to my records on the documented case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    What am I missing here? If someone does not think this is a match, then let's discuss it. Why the other thread on the same person without discussion here?
    According to the rules articulated by Cubby, if you start a thread using the "Submitted" or "Possible Match" flags, or if a specific UID and a specific MP are stated in the thread title, the discussion must be limited to that possible match only, and if anyone wishes to discuss a different MP, they must start a new thread (either a general discussion thread for a single UID, or another specific combination of 1 UID and 1 MP)

Since you are still in the 24-hour window, if you revise the thread title to specify only the UID case, and replace the "Submitted" flag with "OH" (i.e. Ohio), then the discussion can go beyond the MP case indicated in your thread title, and we can merge the two threads that were started today.

It is for that reason that I never use the "Possible Match" or "Submitted" flags anymore when starting a thread because it limits the discussion to a single MP.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 08-04-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Gloria Fedyshyn looks like a real good possible. There are a couple of freckles or moles on each cheek of the UID in the postmortem photo that you don't see on Gloria. But (1) Gloria's face is covered heavily with make-up, and (2) we don't know when the photo of Gloria was taken, and freckles and/or moles may have developed in the interim.

Frances Morales looks alot like the recon drawing, but not so much like the PM photo. She has a much different nose, IMO. Her nostrils (alae) have more flare.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    According to the rules articulated by Cubby, if you start a thread using the "Submitted" or "Possible Match" flags, or if a specific UID and a specific MP are stated in the thread title, the discussion must be limited to that possible match only, and if anyone wishes to discuss a different MP, they must start a new thread (either a general discussion thread for a single UID, or another specific combination of 1 UID and 1 MP)

Since you are still in the 24-hour window, if you revise the thread title to specify only the UID case, and replace the "Submitted" flag with "OH" (i.e. Ohio), then the discussion can go beyond the MP case indicated in your thread title, and we can merge the two threads that were started today.

It is for that reason that I never use the "Possible Match" or "Submitted" flags anymore when starting a thread because it limits the discussion to a single MP.
    Thank you Carl,
    I appreciate the feedback as I have two unanswered questions regarding forum in posting in the instruction section that have gone unanswered. I did the best with what I knew at the time. Much appreciated.

Two things that catch my attention on Linda Grimm. (1) Charley Project indicates that Linda had a caesarean scar. There is no indication of a caesarean scar on the UID, although abdominal stretch marks are indicated.

(2) Linda's nose tip seems more delicate. Granted, that is not conclusive because there was a four-year lag and noses do continue to grow throughout life, but IMO the difference goes beyond what I would expect in four years.

I was having trouble with the post-mortem photo because there's so much bruising and swelling it's hard to make out what her living face would have looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    Two things that catch my attention on Linda Grimm. (1) Charley Project indicates that Linda had a caesarean scar. There is no indication of a caesarean scar on the UID, although abdominal stretch marks are indicated.

(2) Linda's nose tip seems more delicate. Granted, that is not conclusive because there was a four-year lag and noses do continue to grow throughout life, but IMO the difference goes beyond what I would expect in four years.
    I hear ya about the C section...boy do I hear ya! This has been a major arguing point with a ME. It does not 'fit' with the MP report.
    I will try to be brief but everyone needs to understand that each person envolved in the submission of a case is subjective in their review.

1) If a volunteer, they glance at the pic, say, "Nah, doesn't have the right hair, teeth, eyes, etc". They want the dead and the living to look the same. They don't. They won't. Death is ugly.

2) The LE reviewer will look at it and say, "What was she doing 1200 miles from home and how did she get there and why was she there?" (Who,what,where,why and how). Very deliberate and to the point. They don't want to be bogged down with possibilities.

3) The ME, IF the case ever gets that far will say "LE told me this is not a good match and I can't time up time and expense on a guess"...or a number of other reasons. They want to see what is in the LE report and LE wants to see what the ME had to say about scars, marks and tats. If the ME didn't say it....then it is not true. It is a catch 22.

4) Ideally, the researcher gives everyone a piece of the picture on the UID and the MP case as ONE case, as if both cases were one and the same. It is up to us to give them something to get them moving up the ladder of review. That means getting past the initial look at our case. Give them something that says, "What if I am right"???

I think I have done that in this case, as I do in all my cases and if allowed I would post the superficial markings on this UID's post mortem that got as far as the ME and then to the anthropologist who is getting the appropriate scientific proof to clear this up because no one can be ID'd by superficial marks or a reasonable set of events that brought the MP to his/her place of death. As to the nose, lighting must be considered. (See all of Grimm's photos). Also consider swelling caused by facial trauma. Then consider skin breakdown and the pitting in the onset of decomposition. Some of these markings can be separated out from natural occureing skin blemishes if one is determined enough and works long enough on enlarged and enhanced photos. If markers appear on two or more photos, start making a good argument for the ME, because ultimately they determine which UID gets a closer look.

I might also note here, as I have said before; distance is not a factor in most cases and to determine if it is or not depends on being familiar with both the UID and MP case and all the circumstances that can be found and making one's best logical assessment.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast