912 users online (178 members and 734 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Judge Rules California's Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional 8/4/10

Breaking news on pretty much every major news network but no news stories to post yet (just breaking news tickers across the tops of the screen).

Stay tuned..

Heh, you beat me to it! ; - )

Here's the Gawker article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/04/cal...pt=T1&iref=BN1

Here's the correct LINK:

http://gawker.com/5604649/california...nal-overturned

Sorry about that!
    Last edited by shana; 08-04-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Found an article..

Judge Overturns California's Same-Sex Marriage Ban

federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker found in his ruling that the ban violated the Constitution's equal protection clause under the 14th Amendment.

The closely watched case came some two years after Californians voted to pass Proposition 8, which defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

Neither opponents nor supporters of same-sex marriage said before the ruling that it would likely be the last. Both sides said the decision will be appealed and eventually wind up in the U.S. Supreme Court.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/04/cal...pt=T1&iref=BN1

Oops, Shana got it before me. Thanks Shana!!

Great news!

Just finished reading the whole opinion. This judge rocked the house! What an incredibly well done ruling. I am so happy to see a ruling for equality. So many people have been kept from marrying the person they love. It makes me feel guilty that I enjoy being married, knowing that others aren't allowed. I hope gay rights continue to spread across the country. It's time.

Yay Cali!

Before the hysteria starts, let me mention that the judge who made the ruling is himself gay. And of course, the proponents of Prop 8--who have no rational basis for their position--are already out there saying Judge
    Turner was simply voting his bias.

But as the L.A. Times points out in today's editorial. Turner was first nominated by Ronald Reagan but not confirmed, then finally nominated and confirmed under George H.W. Bush. In both hearings, Turner was bitterly opposed by gay-rights groups because his record as an attorney was not favorable to gay causes.

So it's a little late at this point to claim the man is simply a tool of the mythical "Gay Agenda."

I know there is still a long road ahead, but I can't help but be thrilled by such a solid, well-written opinion strongly supported by the evidence presented. I believe it will stand on appeal. I just can't see how it could be overturned. The evidence in support of the plaintiffs was so overwhelming. They put on a great case and the defense didn't bother defending. That has now bitten them in the butt. I am seriously hoping this will go to the Supreme Court and establish federal law to overturn DOMA and I think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Before the hysteria starts, let me mention that the judge who made the ruling is himself gay. And of course, the proponents of Prop 8--who have no rational basis for their position--are already out there saying Judge
    Turner was simply voting his bias.

But as the L.A. Times points out in today's editorial. Turner was first nominated by Ronald Reagan but not confirmed, then finally nominated and confirmed under George H.W. Bush. In both hearings, Turner was bitterly opposed by gay-rights groups because his record as an attorney was not favorable to gay causes.

So it's a little late at this point to claim the man is simply a tool of the mythical "Gay Agenda."

Whenever anyone has mentioned that, I've asked if a straight judge would automatically rule the opposite way. "Well, that's different!"

Sigh.

Great News.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

It will come as a shock to no one that this news made my soul smile!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

This should have never been overturned. Ridiculous. We the people of Ca. voted for this. No way should it have been overturned.
    WHY even VOTE then????

Quote Originally Posted by lilpony View Post
    This should have never been overturned. Ridiculous. We the people of Ca. voted for this. No way should it have been overturned.
    WHY even VOTE then????
    Under our system, human rights are not subject to majority vote; that's why they are called rights. Judge Turner specifically points out that a majority of Californians once voted to legalize racial discrimination in housing; that vote was rightfully overturned by the courts.

Fortunately, our constitutions (federal and state) are just as concerned about tyranny by the majority as they are about tyranny by a king or dictator.

The authors of those documents wisely realized that no minority is safe, and society as a whole can never be stable, if some people can be declared "non-people" or "less than full citizens" simply because they differ from the majority.

This ought to be painfully obvious to all Americans, given that we live in a country in which no ethnic group, no religious denomination and no political party actually constitutes a full majority. And let's remember that at various times and places, majority votes have endorsed human slavery, the persecution and slaughter of certain people based on their religious faith, the imprisonment and murder of homosexuals, the marginalization of the handicapped, and the general denial of human rights to women.

So rather than banging our heads against the wall, let's try not imposing our arbitrary prejudices on everyone else.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast