1087 users online (218 members and 869 guests)  

Websleuths News


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ElePhEr
    Posts
    6,092
    RKnowley you are one persistent sleuther and organized to boot. Let's hope that this current venture really comes through with some positive results.

    Wow RKnowley ... just a big ole Wow for what you are doing.

    eleph

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,542
    I am working on a google spreadsheet that will hopefully keep things more organized than what I have going on with this thread. It is hard to keep things straight when you only have 60 minutes to edit your posts.

    Here is a link to the spreadsheet I am trying to put together, I hope I can make it work out OK.

    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...en&output=html

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,542
    Elon Homes for Children (Sent FAX 8/19/2010)

    Contact Information (several locations listed..this looked like the best campus to begin with.)

    Kennedy Campus - Charlotte, North Carolina

    Elon Homes for Children
    1717 Sharon Road West
    Charlotte, NC 28210
    Phone: (704) 369-2500
    Fax: (704) 688-2960
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Jordan Child & Family Enrichment Center (Sent FAX 8/19/2010)

    1305 Glenwood Avenue
    Raleigh, NC 27605
    phone 919.833.5428
    fax 919.833.5441
    toll free 888.305.4321

    Our small, community-based group homes provide short-term emergency care as well as longer stays.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Methodist Home for Children (Sent FAX 8/19/2010)

    ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS

    Methodist Home for Children
    1041 Washington Street
    Raleigh, NC 27605-1259
    phone 919.833.2834
    fax 919.755.1833
    toll-free 1.888.305.4321
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nazareth Children's Home (Tried sending FAX 8/19/2010, number was not in working order)

    Contact Information

    Phone No: 1-888-207-0250
    Fax Number: 704-279-5430
    Address: Nazareth Children's Home, Inc.
    725 Crescent Road, P.O. Box 1438 Rockwell, NC 28138

    Nazareth Children's Home will use the Teaching-Family Model as its core but will also provide psychiatric and psychological services through local providers such as Piedmont Mental Health.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youth Homes, Inc. (Sent FAX 8/19/2010)

    Contact Information

    601 East Fifth Street
    Suite 330
    Charlotte, NC 28202-2914
    704-334-9955 Phone
    704-375-7497 Fax

    Youth Homes Inc. is a private, non-profit agency that has been providing residential and family strengthening services for children and families in Charlotte-Mecklenburg County since 1975.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Earthbound Misfit I; 08-19-2010 at 04:00 PM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ElePhEr
    Posts
    6,092
    I learned something just now - didn't know you could setup a google spreadsheet like that for all to see with a one-click of the button.

    That is a powerful tool to use to keep this all organized and to see the results as they come in.

    Don't know why but something in my gut is telling/shouting at me that Jason was from New York ... no explanation/no facts/no nothing to base this on ... nada nothing.

    I admire your tenacity in this sleuthing effort and have bookmarked the spreadsheet for easy reference.

    eleph

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,542
    Carolina Youth Development Center (Sent email 8/20/2010)

    Several persons listed as contacts here: http://www.cydc.org/contact/?id=404

    CYDC provides programs that reach more than 500 children and youth each year. We care for young people with very serious problems, including physical and sexual abuse, neglect, abandonment, and severe emotional disorders.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,542
    Could NY be shouting out at you because of the 914 phone prefix on the letter from the 2 Caroline's?

    Does anyone know, were the FILA tennis shoes that Jason was wearing popular all over the US, or were they more popular in certain states and then got popular in other locations later on?


    Quote Originally Posted by elepher50 View Post
    I learned something just now - didn't know you could setup a google spreadsheet like that for all to see with a one-click of the button.

    That is a powerful tool to use to keep this all organized and to see the results as they come in.

    Don't know why but something in my gut is telling/shouting at me that Jason was from New York ... no explanation/no facts/no nothing to base this on ... nada nothing.

    I admire your tenacity in this sleuthing effort and have bookmarked the spreadsheet for easy reference.

    eleph

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by RKnowley View Post
    Does anyone know, were the FILA tennis shoes that Jason was wearing popular all over the US, or were they more popular in certain states and then got popular in other locations later on?
    I was about 18 or 19 years old, about the same age as our Jason, when this occured and grew up outside of Philadelphia. Those type of Fila tennis shoes weren't that popular with the kids I went to school with. We were more into Nike's, Reebok's, and KSwiss, but that's just what I remember.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ElePhEr
    Posts
    6,092
    Quote Originally Posted by RKnowley View Post
    Could NY be shouting out at you because of the 914 phone prefix on the letter from the 2 Caroline's?

    Does anyone know, were the FILA tennis shoes that Jason was wearing popular all over the US, or were they more popular in certain states and then got popular in other locations later on?
    No, the 914 phone prefix doesn't trigger anything. The GD show in Albany on the 22nd, the driver of the van being in New York around that time. The driver of the van may have picked up Jason simply because he had on the GD shirt as he was a GD fan as well. Jason and the driver of the van may have both been at the GD concert in Albany. I think Jason may have started his travels in New York or just slightly before that. Things that stick out to me are:
    1. Jason had no id whatsoever - he was on the run from somewhere/something
    2. Had good dentals so he had proper nutrition throughout his life or just lucky
    3. Had money for GD tickets at RFK stadium but only 4 quarters on him when he passed
    4. Fila sneakers weren't the cheapest but they certainly weren't the most expensive either
    5. Had a GD shirt which had to have been bought
    6. A real puzzler as to where he was headed when he got in the accident
    7. He may have been traveling for a short time with the 2 Caroline's and staying in hostels when they decided to go a different route and split hence the note
    8. Not convinced that the note from the Caroline's was from the RFK GD concert but rather from an earlier meeting. The note was important to him as he kept it.

    I don't think Jason had been on the road very long before he died in the van accident. His travels may have started early in June and it was towards the end of June when his money ran out. I think he may have been headed towards where he believed the 2 Caroline's would be. The 2 Caroline's may have been on the run as well which almost makes me think the 3 of them may have been in the same group home or at least from close to the same area to start with.

    Rambling, rambling, and more rambling - sorry RKnowley .. just thinking and trying to make some sense out of where Jason's journey started and where he may have been headed.

    eleph

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,542
    Great post! Please, please "ramble on"! It may spark something that may lead to solving Jason's case. I love going over things once, twice, three times or more! Seriously, I love everyone's posts, it helps to weed things out.

    Quote Originally Posted by elepher50 View Post
    No, the 914 phone prefix doesn't trigger anything. The GD show in Albany on the 22nd, the driver of the van being in New York around that time. The driver of the van may have picked up Jason simply because he had on the GD shirt as he was a GD fan as well. Jason and the driver of the van may have both been at the GD concert in Albany. I think Jason may have started his travels in New York or just slightly before that. Things that stick out to me are:
    1. Jason had no id whatsoever - he was on the run from somewhere/something
    2. Had good dentals so he had proper nutrition throughout his life or just lucky
    3. Had money for GD tickets at RFK stadium but only 4 quarters on him when he passed
    4. Fila sneakers weren't the cheapest but they certainly weren't the most expensive either
    5. Had a GD shirt which had to have been bought
    6. A real puzzler as to where he was headed when he got in the accident
    7. He may have been traveling for a short time with the 2 Caroline's and staying in hostels when they decided to go a different route and split hence the note
    8. Not convinced that the note from the Caroline's was from the RFK GD concert but rather from an earlier meeting. The note was important to him as he kept it.

    I don't think Jason had been on the road very long before he died in the van accident. His travels may have started early in June and it was towards the end of June when his money ran out. I think he may have been headed towards where he believed the 2 Caroline's would be. The 2 Caroline's may have been on the run as well which almost makes me think the 3 of them may have been in the same group home or at least from close to the same area to start with.

    Rambling, rambling, and more rambling - sorry RKnowley .. just thinking and trying to make some sense out of where Jason's journey started and where he may have been headed.

    eleph

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    303
    Group homes are required by their licensing statutes to report runaways missing. There are different time constraints depending on the age/ability/mental status of the client, but even in 1995, kids were reported missing. I managed a group home in Michigan at that time, so I know this for certain.

    If Jason Doe was in a group home and ran from there, there would be a missing person report. Foster home as well because someone would have to have been checking to ensure he was there to keep paying them. (Yes, I know it doesn't always work like poor Rilya Wilson).


  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by HesterMofet View Post
    Group homes are required by their licensing statutes to report runaways missing. There are different time constraints depending on the age/ability/mental status of the client, but even in 1995, kids were reported missing. I managed a group home in Michigan at that time, so I know this for certain.

    If Jason Doe was in a group home and ran from there, there would be a missing person report. Foster home as well because someone would have to have been checking to ensure he was there to keep paying them. (Yes, I know it doesn't always work like poor Rilya Wilson).
    Thanks for that. I would have thought that that was the case - no-one wins by not reporting a runaway in this situation.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by HesterMofet View Post
    Group homes are required by their licensing statutes to report runaways missing. There are different time constraints depending on the age/ability/mental status of the client, but even in 1995, kids were reported missing. I managed a group home in Michigan at that time, so I know this for certain.

    If Jason Doe was in a group home and ran from there, there would be a missing person report. Foster home as well because someone would have to have been checking to ensure he was there to keep paying them. (Yes, I know it doesn't always work like poor Rilya Wilson).
    This is true, but perhaps Jason Doe had recently "aged out"-- someone may still recognize him, an employee who has worked at such a home for a long period of time may remember Jason if in fact he ever spent time in a group home. It's a long shot, but not impossible.

    The explanation that Jason Doe did not live with family and perhaps lived in a group home instead would explain why it appears there are no family members looking for him. If he had recently aged out of a youth home (or something similar) then the home or institution would not have been looking for him either.

    People who going missing during a time of transition are often the most vulnerable because there is not a routine or any sort of accountability that would cause the individual to reported missing rapidly.
    Just my opinion!

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    Hi everyone, I am from Virginia and remember this happening. It never really left my memory because we were (presumably) the same age. If it has been suggested before I apologize but has anyone considered "Job Corps" because it was a rather common program back then and from recollection it housed 16-24 year olds. He could have legally walked away from an elective program. Just a thought because he's often in mine. It was not uncommon in our region to have opted out of traditional schooling or had a sketchy home situation that led to Job Corp. It could be worth looking into considering so many never completed the program. It may have gone unnoticed for another kid to walk away especially if he aged out of parental need for release. Again, I apologize if it has been mentioned prior but I didn't see it. Thanks to everyone who never gave up hope on this case. It is haunting and depressing but aren't they all?

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    200

    Idea/questions

    I was researching missing/UiD here in Missouri, and came across the missing persons list. I noticed many many were marked as juvenile but were adults and adults marked as juveniles. Odd so maybe we are missing something with Jason here. So I am thinking... pay a little more attention, not only for the case here in MO but others as well. That led me to looking closer at some of the cases... Many of the cases here in St louis area where the person is marked as "black" and has gone missing is from Clayton Mo. Clayton is our second downtown. Its our seat of governtment including major DFS and juvy courts. So from what Ive seen about the missing here in St Louis, if you are in states care as a child, meaning in trouble with the law a chronic runaway or truant etc or just not having family around, they are marked as missing from clayton mo.

    If Jason Doe was a kid in states custody ( and around that time I was too, and alot of street kids had his style of clothing hair and jewelry) maybe the missing files have been discounted lost to time or fallen thru the cracks because he was a street kid or in the system. Or he aged out of the system and no one has even bothered or even really knows he has died.

    I am not sure how this will help, but who knows.....
    Love is a wild animal
    It breathes you it looks for you
    It nests upon broken hearts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2


Similar Threads

  1. Man Charged In Group Home Rape
    By Riddinx in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 08:30 AM