Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2493dfky.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 2493DFKY

Gladys Stella Kidd
Missing since August 6, 1990 from Morehead, Rowan County, Kentucky
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: May 20, 1919
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 71 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 135-140 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; one brown eye, one green eye. Glasses.
•Dentals: Partial X-rays Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
On August 6, 1990, Gladys Kidd left her home in the Morehead 3C trail area in Rowan County Kentucky.
Kidd cleared out her bank account in 1991, taking approximately $80,000 from a sale of a local farm and equipment located along the CCC Trail.
All she took with her was clothes and a filing cabinet. She parked her car somewhere in town and left the keys in it. The only word from her was a letter received by her son, about 17 days after she disappeared, post marked in the Lexington, Kentucky area. One portion of the letter reads, “Don’t try to find me, I would just leave.”
Her social security checks have gone uncollected, her driver's license has never been renewed, and her social security number has had no activity.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Kentucky State Police
Trooper Toby Gardner
606-784-4127

NCIC Number: M-481564574
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/cold_case/post8coldcase4.php

http://themoreheadnews.com/local/x155274062/Septic-tank-searched
October 16, 2007

The body of Gladys Stella Kidd wasn’t discovered Friday in a septic tank on Moores Flat Road, but police continue to study the cold case of a Morehead woman who mysteriously disappeared during the summer of 1991.
More at link.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kidd_gladys.html

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=3838,2492861&dq=gladys-stella-kidd&hl=en
1995 archive article.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1735/0/
NamUs profile. DNA samples complete. Dental charting available.

Gladys would be 91 yrs old if she is still alive. She has been missing 20 years.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP1735
Gladys Stella Kidd, Female, White/Caucasian

A36C1E5F-7C9E-4F3D-BE47-C1951AB496AF.jpeg 84AFF7D3-3ED2-4841-B3F6-63F0FEB6947A.jpeg
Date of Last Contact: August 6, 1990
Missing From: Morehead, Kentucky
Date of Birth: May 20, 1919

Height: 5' 5" (65 Inches)
Weight: 135-140 lbs
Hair Color: Brown

Eye Description: Not sure which eye is which but one is green and one is brown and she wore eye glasses

Details of Disappearance

Kidd was last seen on August 6, 1990 when she left her home in Rowan County, Kentucky. At the time of her disappearance, she had just cashed a $56,000 check, the proceeds from the sale of her farm. The bank wanted to give her a cashier's check, but Kidd insisted they gave her the money in cash. She disappeared afterwards.

Kidd's last contact was by letter, postmarked in Lexington, Kentucky seventeen days after she disappeared. The letter instructed her loved ones not to try to locate her. It is unclear whether she wrote the letter of her own volition, however. She has never been heard from again. She took her clothes and a filing cabinet with her when she vanished, but left behind all her other belongings.

Kidd's granddaughter stated Kidd had a secret boyfriend in 1990. The man would not speak to any members of Kidd's family on the telephone and did not want his identity to be known by her relatives, friends or members of her church.

Kidd told her loved ones they already knew her boyfriend and they would be surprised to discover his identity. She frequently took telephone calls from the man and went on dates with him. He has never been identified.

Since Kidd's disappearance, her Social Security benefits have not been collected, there has been no activity on her Social Security number, and her driver's license has not been renewed. Her children and grandchildren believe she met with foul play. Her husband died in 1983, seven years prior to her disappearance. Her disappearance remains unsolved.

Dentals: Partial X-rays available
DNA: Available

Sources
NamUs
The Doe Network
The Charley Project
Family Group Sheet
KSP Online
The Morehead News
The Carter County Post
National Missing Person Directory

Porchlight International
The Courier-Journal (attached newspaper clippings)

This case has baffled me for some time. I live in the Morehead area. And I can tell you that as of several months ago, the family is still looking for closure.

Attachments

• MISSING - KIDD.jpg
    MISSING - KIDD.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 3
Could they have traced any of her phone calls back then?
Did any of her friends or acquaintances go "missing" around the same time she did?

Gladys apparently told her loved ones that they would be surprised at the identity of her secret lover. That leads me to believe that he may have been much younger than Gladys.

The fact Gladys suddenly withdrew a large amount of cash, and disappeared with a filing cabinet, definitely points to something shady. Was she involved in something she should not have been? Maybe this mystery boyfriend had got her involved or was defrauding her? If Gladys was on the run, it could be her pursuers caught up with her, or the boyfriend killed her. It wouldn't be the first gold digger murder case.

Was the handwriting of Gladys's letter analysed? Are they sure she wrote it?

Gladys apparently told her loved ones that they would be surprised at the identity of her secret lover. That leads me to believe that he may have been much younger than Gladys.

The fact Gladys suddenly withdrew a large amount of cash, and disappeared with a filing cabinet, definitely points to something shady. Was she involved in something she should not have been? Maybe this mystery boyfriend had got her involved or was defrauding her? If Gladys was on the run, it could be her pursuers caught up with her, or the boyfriend killed her. It wouldn't be the first gold digger murder case.

Was the handwriting of Gladys's letter analysed? Are they sure she wrote it?
I wonder if all the new DNA technology has been applied -- like there could be some on the letters/envelopes (saliva) of the sender -- could it still be used (Othram)?

I wonder if all the new DNA technology has been applied -- like there could be some on the letters/envelopes (saliva) of the sender -- could it still be used (Othram)?
I would also like to know how long the letter was. If the letter was brief, it could've been written by an abductor, as the more detailed the letter, the more scrutiny it can be put under.

...and what do they mean by"filing cabinet". She took one with her in her car.
Like a whole filing cabinet you'd find in a office?!?
And why would she take it with her?

I would also like to know how long the letter was. If the letter was brief, it could've been written by an abductor, as the more detailed the letter, the more scrutiny it can be put under.
Note that in the newspaper account linked above, her kids are convinced that while she did the writing, someone else was dictating - she only had a fourth-grade education but the language was perfect (not the way she spoke).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back