Witchta, Kansas has two women under arrest for child endangerment.
A 6 year old child was found by LE in a house full of paint fumes with a can of spray paint very close by.
Melody Pearl Langdon aged 29 and Candince Swarm were arrested.
Last edited by Salem; 08-07-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: fix title
filly, this happened in Wichita Falls, TX. Sad that it happened anywhere.
It's good to know that the child wasn't harmed, and hopefully she will not be living with those people after this. Imagine, 1:30 in the morning, and the child was in the hallway. Wonder if she was awake, or sleeping there.
Those are two tough-looking cookies, wonder about the man who was with them. Guess he wasn't huffing.
Poor little child. They are some tough looking women's. I'll have to look the man up. Watch it will come to light he wasn't using but brought the stuff.
Myspace for Candy Swarm is private, but her mood is "off". I'd guess so when you're huffing metallic paint. Very sad. Pretty young woman. Hopefully she will get some help.
Last edited by Filly; 08-07-2010 at 10:01 PM.
I have to say thank goodness for this police officer prying a little, that is no place for a 6 year old child to be. What kind of life is that for this child.
Hopefully she can be placed in a good and loving home and learn that this is not ok, inhaling stuff like this is so dangerous.
I have a very good friend who's son was into "huffing" paints and glues. She had no idea, he wasn't living with her as he was 18 and had moved out....long story short he was rushed to the ER after "huffing" and almost did not make it. He has irreversible brain damage and was like a vegtable for quite sometime. HE has recovered much scince then but will never be the same.
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
From a medical standpoint, paint huffing is a dangerous activity that is, unfortunately, fairly popular among children and teenagers, said Dr. Louis Reed with the Community Healthcare Center.
"They get a high from inhaling it, but if they inhale enough, it replaces the oxygen in their lungs, and they could end up with a cardiac arrest or brain damage," Reed said. The practice can lead to irreversible damage, from hearing loss to central nervous system harm to heart failure to death.
I had a friend in Jr. High whose boyfriend and brother died doing this. They were 12 and 13, not adults! Guess they have killed a few too many brain cells along the way!
Sunnie and Mysticrose, I am so sorry for the pain your friends had to have endured having a child ending up in an ER, and a brother and boyfriend deceased because of this.
Honestly I don't understand it. I'm not educated on anything related to huffing. Kids, yeah I can see they'll basically try anything in alot of cases. Perhaps it's economics? Paint is cheaper than street drugs? I don't know. I recall reading years ago that our Native American population was hit hard by huffing.
This little girl had to be exposed to some fumes. Had to witness some bizarre behavior. Prayers she is O.K. today and safe.
I thought it was a bit premature to announce that the girl was fine after being removed from a home filled with fumes. How many times has she possibly been exposed to these fumes? I would think this could result in significant developmental delays as well as possible future diseases such as cancer. I would also think this could cause her neurological problems. I'm just not so sure that she is fine.