745 users online (99 members and 646 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
  1. #1

    Do we have any verified SAR folks here?

    If so, is it okay to ask if they explain what they know about SAR?

    I'm starting to REALLY regret not paying more attention to my son's scoutmaster, who is a volunteer SAR. He was saved by a SAR team, so he is great about teaching the kids about safety, and the importance of SAR.

    I get my hopes up with these searches, and then we get no news. Maybe this is normal? Maybe it's a time issue?

    If there's anyone here who knows about this stuff, I'd love to know more about SAR in general.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,541
    Member Sarx is verified SAR. I sent her a message asking her to come to this thread. She is awesome!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by rnmif View Post
    If so, is it okay to ask if they explain what they know about SAR?

    I'm starting to REALLY regret not paying more attention to my son's scoutmaster, who is a volunteer SAR. He was saved by a SAR team, so he is great about teaching the kids about safety, and the importance of SAR.

    I get my hopes up with these searches, and then we get no news. Maybe this is normal? Maybe it's a time issue?

    If there's anyone here who knows about this stuff, I'd love to know more about SAR in general.

    Thanks.
    GrainneDhu has written extensively about her knowledge of SAR on various threads. I found it very helpful. Hopefully she can point you to some of her posts.

    P.S. I don't know if she's verified.
    Last edited by Haeve; 08-08-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add P.S.
    Where's Kyron?

  4. #4
    If you have worked in the SAR field, please contact me to get verified. As far as I know, only SARX is verified.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nothing to see here, move along...
    Posts
    7,966
    Isn't Oriah verified? I thought so, but I've been wrong a few times in my life.

    I **want** to be SAR (mounted and canine), and am on track to be certified in about 8 years...so until then, I just look, learn, and admire those who are. (To be fair, I ride volunteer mounted patrol on some of the more - "dangerous" trails in my area, but we're just there for 'presence.').

    Best-
    Herding Cats

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,670
    Oriah is SAR as far as I know, but hasn't yet been verified. I hope she emails Tricia and becomes verified. Someone want to drop her a PM or email?
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Herding Cats View Post
    Isn't Oriah verified? I thought so, but I've been wrong a few times in my life.

    I **want** to be SAR (mounted and canine), and am on track to be certified in about 8 years...so until then, I just look, learn, and admire those who are. (To be fair, I ride volunteer mounted patrol on some of the more - "dangerous" trails in my area, but we're just there for 'presence.').

    Best-
    Herding Cats
    EIGHT YEARS? It takes that long? You could become a physician in that amount of time. I had no idea.
    Do you take college classes or are you taught by SAR experts? Wow.

    Also, I wonder why TES has not been asked to come and assist in finding Kyron.

    Rest in Peace, Robbi 1980-2012

  8. #8
    IIRC, TES only joins a search if invited by LE.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,304
    Hi All, I'm here and happy to answer any questions. Thanks for pm'ing me Kimster, it's the best way to get my attention for sure!
    Oriah is absolutely qualified, as is Justtoseeyousmile, but both are very busy and more often than not out in the field. They are wonderful and full of knowledge as well.
    Anyways, what can I help with?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sarx View Post
    Hi All, I'm here and happy to answer any questions. Thanks for pm'ing me Kimster, it's the best way to get my attention for sure!
    Oriah is absolutely qualified, as is Justtoseeyousmile, but both are very busy and more often than not out in the field. They are wonderful and full of knowledge as well.
    Anyways, what can I help with?
    Daisy7 sent the PM this time, but I'm guilty of calling you in a lot in the past!

    We'll have to get the other two verified. In the meantime, Oriah and Justtoseeyousmile are welcome to share their expertise here too!


  11. #11
    Sarx, I have a question.

    The terrain in these areas where the search is going on for Kyron is very rough. They are going through huge wild blackberry patches which are visible in the pics that Freefallzzzz supplied us and I would think poison oak is another problem.

    How do searchers deal with allowing the dogs in those areas when it is almost impassible by humans???


    ETA: adding link to pics of the area


    http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...02010/?start=0
    Last edited by Kimster; 08-08-2010 at 07:26 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    Sarx, I have a question.

    The terrain in these areas where the search is going on for Kyron is very rough. They are going through huge wild blackberry patches which are visible in the pics that Freefallzzzz supplied us and I would think poison oak is another problem.

    How do searchers deal with allowing the dogs in those areas when it is almost impassible by humans???


    ETA: adding link to pics of the area


    http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...02010/?start=0
    Dogs are great in these situations for finding the little nucker holes/trails that lead into the bramble. If a child can get into it, so can a dog. Sometimes there are no holes like that, but often humans completely miss them and dogs find them.
    I'm not familiar with the details of the case, so not sure what type of dogs they are using. The age of the case is going to make a difference on what type of dogs and how successful they're going to be in those areas.
    As for the poison oak, it's not fun, but if my dog says that the MP went through it, I will too, that's why I have cases of Tecnu. Not everyone works that way though.

  13. #13

    Thanks SARX

    Quote Originally Posted by sarx View Post
    Hi All, I'm here and happy to answer any questions. Thanks for pm'ing me Kimster, it's the best way to get my attention for sure!
    Oriah is absolutely qualified, as is Justtoseeyousmile, but both are very busy and more often than not out in the field. They are wonderful and full of knowledge as well.
    Anyways, what can I help with?
    I guess I just wonder what the significance of this weekend's search is, and that there is no news? Our scout troop lectures about SAR all the time, and.... I've had this free resource in my back yard, and being disabled, I never thought it was relevant to me. I guess it's still not, but I sure wish I'd been paying attention!

    I just don't really know much about it, what it entails. I've seen some mention of man hours with a bunch of formulas that made my head spin.

    If this isn't too broad a question, can you offer us some insights into what has been going on this weekend? If it is, when I get back tonight I'll do some research and see if I can't pry a more pointed question out of my pea brain.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,304
    Give me a few to get the back story on the case and then I can be a bit more educated.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,304
    Oh sad...
    So he went missing 2 months ago. The area where the search took place this wknd, where was it in relation to where he missing?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Clay is gay folks...
    By believe09 in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 08:20 PM