1176 users online (249 members and 927 guests)  

Websleuths News

OH - Shaylene Farrell, 18, Piqua, 8 Aug 1994

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1064DFOH

Shaylene Marie Farrell
    Missing since August 8, 1994 from Piqua, Miami County, Ohio.
    Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
    •Date Of Birth: June 19, 1976
    •Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
    •Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 135 lbs.
    •Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; hazel eyes. Pierced ears.
    •Marks, Scars: Brown-colored mole under her lower lip; birthmark on her left thigh above her knee; scar on her right leg above her knee.
    •Clothing: Boys' t-shirt with the words "No Fear" in blue lettering on the front and blue Piqua High School shorts. Black sandals.
    •Dentals: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Farrell was last seen leaving her her family's residence on Haverhill Drive in Piqua, Ohio on August 8, 1994, circa 10.00. She planned to run a quick errand to buy a bottle of ice tea at the nearby Pick-N-Save grocery store in the 1500 block of Covington Avenue, where she had held a part-time job for the past two weeks. She was reported missing after she did not show up for her 19:00 shift at work.

Her mother's silver 1981 Chevrolet Malibu, which she had been driving, was discovered abandoned in the parking lot of the Pick-n-Save on Route 36 later in the day.

Farrell was a senior at Piqua High School in 1994. She has never been seen or heard from again. She did not take any money, clothing, or identification when she disappeared.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Piqua Police Department
    937-778-2027
    or
    937-615-TIPS (8477)

NCIC Number: M-758417397

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._shaylene.html
    Much more info at link above.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1306/0/
    NamUs link above. Dental charting: available, DNA: sample submitted, testing complete.

Shaylene has been missing 16 years today. Come home soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How big is this town she went missing from? Was there a lot of publicity about the case?

Quote Originally Posted by rainwater View Post

Larry Dewayne Hall is a convicted serial killer who lived in Wabash, IN in the 1970s and 80s. Hall traveled all over the Midwest, South, and Eastern U.S. -he was a Civil War re-enactor with a distinctive set of historically accurate sideburns.

Hall would cruise college towns and areas near Civil War battle and Civil War memorial sites, areas associated with the Civil War, etc. looking for victims. He is known to have visited one Revolutionary War site. He is serving life in a southern prison.

He seemed to be attracted to young women with dark (brunette) hair and heights ranging from 62-67 inches.

The link below contains a detailed timeline of LDH whereabouts and lists his known victims and an even longer list of alleged victims.

http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc%...%20DeWayne.pdf

The above quote from Rainwater was in a recent Websleuths thread about an unidentified female that was found in a farm field in Union County, Indiana in February 1984 near the Indiana-Ohio border.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...m-Field-Feb-84

I happened to notice that the link concerning Larry DeWayne Hall had listed Shaylene Marie Farrell as one of his alleged female victims from Ohio.
    Last edited by nerosleuth; 05-08-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Are the cops following up on that?

Why is she linked to that serial killer? Was he near Piquia Ohio in 1994?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel85 View Post
    Why is she linked to that serial killer? Was he near Piquia Ohio in 1994?
    Larry DeWayne Hall is was attracted to women that had shoulder length dark hair. He was also known to stalk mall parking lots, plazas, and stores looking for his victims.

Shaylene Marie Farrell had shoulder length dark hair and she disappeared from a grocery store parking lot.

I live here in Piqua where Shaylene went missing, and have lived in this county all my life. This is the FIRST TIME I've ever seen or heard of a possible connection to this alleged serial killer Larry Hall... And I look up info on her several times a year to see if there is any new info.

It has been frustrating to me that Shaylene's disappearance wasn't regularly in the news. There were a few articles, but no push for media coverage by anyone, which i suppose is why there were a few rumors around town that a family member may have been involved.

But after reading the above link regarding Hall, this makes complete sense. Piqua used to have a Heritage Festival every Labor Day weekend, which would have been one month after Shaylene's disappearance. This festival had reenactments from the 1800s, and actors who would audition and rehearse prior to the festival...so the timing is spot on.

Here is a link... The festival shut down last year, but was in full swing the year Shaylene went missing: http://m.daytondailynews.com/photo/n...477ed4b/pYjsQ/

Bumping for Shaylene. I sent a private message to a local reporter who covers our area for CBS local news on 7/14. Asked him to research this angle and give the family and public some kind of new info as the 22nd anniversary is approaching in August. Haven't heard anything back as of yet.

Nothing on the 22nd anniversary that I've heard on local news. I'm sorry, Shaylene. I feel like our entire community has let you down by not pursuing justice for you, and bringing you home to rest.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    I have to admit I'm a little suspicious of the story-I mean, how bad can a person really want a bottle of ice tea? At any rate, I hope she is found and found safe.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    I have to admit I'm a little suspicious of the story-I mean, how bad can a person really want a bottle of ice tea? At any rate, I hope she is found and found safe.
    It does sound strange, but the store was very close to her house, and she worked there. May have wanted to check the work schedule or see a friend. At that age, I often left the house just to drive and get out for a bit.

Shaylene, where are you?

It would have taken just a few minutes to get to that store purchase a snack and get back home just walking. There was a corner store a block away from my house growing up in Piqua and anytime I felt like a snack I went with no reservations. Sure sometimes a diet soda IS that important. I will wound a fella for coffee. J/k no I'm not. There is nothing suspicious about her making a run to that store. The fault is on the person who caused her to go missing