671 users online (85 members and 586 guests)  

Websleuths News

NC - Shelby Chisom, 17, killed by brick through windshield, Davidson Co., 7 Aug 2010

Link

Shelby Chisom, 17, was killed when a concrete stone was thrown through the window of a moving car and hit her in the head.

N.C. Man Charged With Killing Teen With Concrete Stone
    Published August 09, 2010
    | FoxNews.com

...Chisom was leaving a party with several friends at about 6 a.m. Saturday morning when Michael John Craver, 21, allegedly threw a concrete paving stone through the car's open window, the Charlotte Observer reported. Chisom's friends took her to a hospital, where her condition worsened. She was transferred to a second hospital where she died at noon on Saturday....

Link

Victim's friends in court
    They face man accused of throwing stone in girl's death
    By Michael Hewlett and Paul Garber

...Davidson County Sheriff David Grice said that Chisom and Craver had been at a party at a house on Woodfield Drive. There were 30 to 40 people at the party, Grice said.

Lisa Chisom, Shelby's mother, said in an interview with WXII that Craver is the cousin of Shelby's ex-boyfriend, and that he had become upset when she showed up at the party with a new boyfriend....

Link

Accused in North student's death appears in court
    Man accused of throwing paving stone that killed rising senior
    BY STEVE HUFFMAN
    The Dispatch

...Michael John Craver, 21, of 2113 Craver Road, which is in the Welcome community, was shackled and in handcuffs as he entered the Davidson County Courthouse. He was wearing an orange jail jumpsuit.

Craver is charged with throwing a concrete paving stone early Saturday at a car in which Shelby Montgomery Lee Chisom, 17, was a front-seat passenger. Friends said the stone hit Chisom in her mid-section, and she died about noon Saturday of a lacerated liver....

-------------------------------------

...She ordered Craver not to have any contact with Chisom's family and told him that if convicted he could face life in prison or a death sentence....

Link (There is a video with a short interview with the mother)

Brick Thrown Through Car Window Kills Teen
    Michael Craver In Davidson County Jail, Charged With Murder

...Deputies said the incident happened at a house on Woodfield Drive and Eller Road just before 6 a.m. Saturday. Davidson County Sheriff David Grice said 30 to 40 people were attending a party at the house that started the night before. Both Chisom and Craver had been at the party, Grice said....

Words fail me. This is so horrific. I hope this guy never sees the light of day again.

I know this isn't anyone's fault but the defendant's, but why was a 17 year old girl out at 6am?

My goodness, what an awful way to pass. Prayers to the family. Why did this kid do this?

Wow, what ugly actions. This poor girl, I have to agree on the question of why she was out all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Disguiseduser0308 View Post
    My goodness, what an awful way to pass. Prayers to the family. Why did this kid do this?
    The articles say that she used to date his cousin and he got angry when she showed up with another guy.

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-stor...0,556690.story

Leeza McCarthy, a spokesperson part of the Division of Patholoy at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, said Chisom died of a "massive laceration to the liver."

This is so tragic! My God, how hard did he throw that paver????

It sounds like her friends took her to the hosptial right away.

ETA:

BBM. After reading some comments at this article, it looks like her friends DIDN'T take her to the hospital right away or even call the police until later. http://www.topix.net/forum/source/my...MPNHSVBMGT5EPE
    Last edited by Lovejac; 08-11-2010 at 01:48 AM. Reason: found out more info
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    Link

Shelby Chisom, 17, was killed when a concrete stone was thrown through the window of a moving car and hit her in the head.

N.C. Man Charged With Killing Teen With Concrete Stone
    Published August 09, 2010
    | FoxNews.com

...Chisom was leaving a party with several friends at about 6 a.m. Saturday morning when Michael John Craver, 21, allegedly threw a concrete paving stone through the car's open window, the Charlotte Observer reported. Chisom's friends took her to a hospital, where her condition worsened. She was transferred to a second hospital where she died at noon on Saturday....

Link

Victim's friends in court
    They face man accused of throwing stone in girl's death
    By Michael Hewlett and Paul Garber

...Davidson County Sheriff David Grice said that Chisom and Craver had been at a party at a house on Woodfield Drive. There were 30 to 40 people at the party, Grice said.

Lisa Chisom, Shelby's mother, said in an interview with WXII that Craver is the cousin of Shelby's ex-boyfriend, and that he had become upset when she showed up at the party with a new boyfriend....

Link

Accused in North student's death appears in court
    Man accused of throwing paving stone that killed rising senior
    BY STEVE HUFFMAN
    The Dispatch

...Michael John Craver, 21, of 2113 Craver Road, which is in the Welcome community, was shackled and in handcuffs as he entered the Davidson County Courthouse. He was wearing an orange jail jumpsuit.

Craver is charged with throwing a concrete paving stone early Saturday at a car in which Shelby Montgomery Lee Chisom, 17, was a front-seat passenger. Friends said the stone hit Chisom in her mid-section, and she died about noon Saturday of a lacerated liver....

-------------------------------------

...She ordered Craver not to have any contact with Chisom's family and told him that if convicted he could face life in prison or a death sentence....

Link (There is a video with a short interview with the mother)

Brick Thrown Through Car Window Kills Teen
    Michael Craver In Davidson County Jail, Charged With Murder

...Deputies said the incident happened at a house on Woodfield Drive and Eller Road just before 6 a.m. Saturday. Davidson County Sheriff David Grice said 30 to 40 people were attending a party at the house that started the night before. Both Chisom and Craver had been at the party, Grice said....

Words fail me. This is so horrific. I hope this guy never sees the light of day again.

I know this isn't anyone's fault but the defendant's, but why was a 17 year old girl out at 6am?
    BBM. This article has some interesting comments from a poster named "mother of a 2011 senior" http://www.topix.net/forum/source/my...MPNHSVBMGT5EPE
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    BBM. This article has some interesting comments from a poster named "mother of a 2011 senior" http://www.topix.net/forum/source/my...MPNHSVBMGT5EPE
    Ok, I've lied to my parents too, who hasn't. I wonder where she told them she was? As far as waiting an hour before calling anyone I think it had to do with underage drinking and their fear of being caught. JMO

From March 2011:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local...64accb15a.html

When detectives told him that Shelby had died, Craver shrugged his shoulders. "Okay. And?" Craver responded, according to Assistant District Attorney Alan Martin...

But after pleading guilty Monday to second-degree murder, Craver, who was a rising senior on an athletic and academic scholarship at Mars Hill College, apologized for causing Shelby's death in the early morning hours of Aug. 7. Shelby died from internal bleeding after her liver was cut in half...

Judge W. David Lee of Davidson Superior Court sentenced Craver to 12 years and three months to 15 years and six months in prison.