Identified! FL - Hernando Co., WhtMale Skeletal 556UMFL, 40-55, off U.S. 19, Nov'91 - Richard Paul Sargent

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 556UMFL
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/556umfl.html

556UMFL.jpg
556UMFL1.jpg

Reconstructions of Victim

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on November 3, 1991 in Hernando Beach, Hernando County, Florida
* Estimated Date of Death: 1985-1991
* Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 45-55 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7-5'8"
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair. Thin build; Small face with sunken checks. Healed fracture of maxilla; healing fracture of left 6th rib; healing or healed fractures of 3 thoracic vertebrae.
* Clothing: Clothing found near victim were a T-Shirt, written on the shirt in blue letters was "Excuses why you don't catch fish; water too deep; water too shallow", grey or faded black cutoff shorts. No jewelry.
* Dentals: Available. Overlapping incisors, evidence of a root canal, unfilled caries; poor quality fills in mandibular molars (possibly prison).
* DNA: Available; CODIS.

556UMFL2.jpg

T-shirt

Case History
The victim was located in the area of Osowaw Boulevard, about a mile west of U.S. 19 in western Hernando County, Florida.
He was located by a hunter looking for deer tracks, in a patch of woods west of U.S. Highway 19, about 15 yards north of the roadway.
The skull, ribs and vertebrae were scattered over a 60-foot area.

Here's a possible that seems to match up on all of the particulars.

James Albert Boyd
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/boyd_james.html

boyd_james.jpg
______
556UMFL.jpg
556UMFL1.jpg

• The DLC (Feb'87) is within the timeframe of the UID's estimated date of death (1985-1991)
  • Age (48) within range (45-55)
  • Height (5'8") within range (5'7"-5'8")
  • Hair: Brown (not indicated whether light or dark) to match description. Since remains consisted of scattered bones, hairstyles on reconstructions are probably a wild guess.
  • Has a "small face with sunken cheeks" as is described of the UID.
  • Hometown of St. Petersburg is about 50 miles from Hernando Beach.
  • UID's description indicates poor-quality dental work was possibly performed in prison. Boyd was convicted of murder over 2 decades prior to disappearance, which would seem to suggest that he spent some time in prison.

The facial structure on the color reconstruction is pretty close to Boyd, although his bite is more compressed. The poor quality of Boyd's photo makes it difficult to make a good comparison. His lower face is obscured by shadows and possibly by facial hair.

DoeNet indicates a healed fracture of the maxilla (i.e., the portion of the skull to which the upper teeth are attached). Looking at Boyd's photo, his compressed bite looks almost as if he is missing teeth, but the description indicates nothing about missing teeth. Perhaps that look is the result of the injury to his maxilla.

The B&W reconstruction is much different, both to Boyd, and to the color recon. With two recons that look completely different from each other, one cannot rely too much on visual similarities or differences.

Reactions: mrz
This seems like an extremely promising match to me.

Last resort for me is if I can't find a second pic then I look on doe. Sometimes they have one.
This photo looks nothing like Boyd (MO) and I don't think it looks like the recon. He has a weak chin and different facial structure. Generally a professional forensic artist will get the bone structure correct. However, the bridge of the nose looks close and the distance between the eyes is similar.Can't comment on circumstances but my two cents on the pic.

ETA....link! sorry.. :)
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4051dmfl.html

IMO it is worth submitting. The two pics of Boyd don't resemble each other much and aren't great quality. The location makes me think they might have been compared but maybe not.

Anything on NamUs?

Did the guy Steven Wayne White who was robbing him and convicted for murdering him have any ties to Hernando beach? What about the ex gf? They likely did. 50 miles is not that far....

there are no rule outs listed at Namus so I'm not sure Boyd's name was ever considered.

one thing that catches my attention about the possible match is that Boyd was clearly the victim of murder with shell casings found at his home. I did not see any mention of bullet markings on any of the bones of the UID.

there are no rule outs listed at Namus so I'm not sure Boyd's name was ever considered.

one thing that catches my attention about the possible match is that Boyd was clearly the victim of murder with shell casings found at his home. I did not see any mention of bullet markings on any of the bones of the UID.

FWIW, James Boyd's son, who goes by the handle M.James indicated (on a different thread for a UID to which Boyd was compared) that he didn't think this UID was his father.

FL FL - Case File 1085UMFL - June 1987 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

cherBear,

I think this is a good one to check out. I actually emailed Hernando about some of the UID and asked if any of them had been put into NamUs because the Henando site doesn't have much in the way of details. I never got a response, but I think this one is close enough to submitt to them and have it checked out.

If this person was in prision, wouldn't there be some kind of DNA and prints on file to ID him? I know he had no skin for prints but what about the dentals?

If this person was in prision, wouldn't there be some kind of DNA and prints on file to ID him? I know he had no skin for prints but what about the dentals?

Prints, Yes. DNA, No (i.e., not in 1991). As for dentals, they might have dentals, but they are not encoded into a searchable dental database, as his fingerprints would be.

I see that they have DNA on this man. Do they run it against CODIS to see if there are any hits? I am sort of new to this; if they can't ID him does that mean they didn't run his DNA or that the family hasn't entered it in the system? I also think that the injuries to his back, rib and jaw may have been inflicted in jail or after he went missing, so it may not be in any description on NamUs. Maybe I need to go back before 1985, he could have just gone off the radar at any point in time of his life.

I see that they have DNA on this man. Do they run it against CODIS to see if there are any hits?

Yes, usually they do. Some states don't check with the national database (i.e. CODIS), but most do - including Florida.

Still no rule-outs listed.
I realize that Jackson Wade Orvin is younger than the estimate, but there are certainly a lot of similarities:
Location, height, broken mandible. http://nampn.org/cases/orvin_jackson.html

556UMFL.jpg
556UMFL1.jpg

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Any idea if this was submitted? If not I will, just checking again, don't want to send it twice.

Any idea if this was submitted? If not I will, just checking again, don't want to send it twice.

I can't find any documentation on whether or not I submitted him. I probably did not, so feel free to submit. I still think he's a good possibility.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

okay, I emailed the contact person on NamUs. I hope that is how you guys do this. I will check back to see if he got it. Do you also email LE that has this cold case?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back