Identified! WA - Skamania County, Male, 30-45, May'03 - Name Withheld

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/73umwa.html
Unidentified Male

* The victim was discovered in August 2003 in Southwestern Skamania County, Washington
* Estimated Date of Death: August 2, 2002 - May 1, 2003
* Cause of Death: Believed to be blunt force trauma to skull.
* State of Remains: Mostly decomposed; some missing bones.

Vital Statistics
o Estimated age: 30 - 45 years old
o Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"-6'0". weight unknown due to decomposition.
o Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly of Asian or Native American heritage. Dark brown / black hair; unknown eye color.
Antemortem injuries to left nasal bone and left eighth rib.
o Clothing: One moccasin-type slipper and one wool sock; .
o Jewelry: One gold necklace with pendant of soldered gold nuggets.
o Dentals: Available
o Fingerprints: Not Available.
o DNA: Available

Could it be Jerry?

Its far from where he disappeared by the photo bears a striking resemblence to him. Also, since there is apparently misinformation about Jerry's height, on various missing person websites, we can't use his height as a reference (he's been reported as being 6'3" as well)

There is a websleuths thread, about Jerry, here http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16151

http://www.rinokids.com/Adults/Strege/index.htm

DOB 20-FEB-1959
Race WHITE
Sex MALE
Hair BROWN
Eyes BLUE
Height 5'6" <<<<<<<Note: This information is in question, please see http://members.cox.net/kelly_projectjason/index_files/page0003.htm

Weight 230 LBS
Case # 02-6708
Date Missing 11-OCT-2002
Location Waupun, WI

Jerrold Strege was reported missing by his father on October 11, 2002. When his father went to his apartment to see why he was not answering the telephone, he found Jerry's apartment unlocked, lights on and the television on. All of Jerrold's belongings were in the apartment including his keys, wallet, cell phone, etc. Both of his vehicles were still in the apartment garage. No signs of any type of disturbance could be seen in the apartment.

It was found, through investigation, the last time anyone had seen Strege was on his last day of work at Dodge Correctional Institution on October 2, 2003. He was scheduled to be back to work on October 8, 2003 but never showed up or called in which triggered his employer and father to begin looking for him.

At least 4 separate searches were conducted over the next several months utilizing volunteers, search teams, canines, and police personnel but no sign of Strege could be found. To this date nobody has reported any contact with Jerry Strege since his disappearance. Strege was an avid, highly skilled amateur golfer (among the best in the state, they say) and in fact had been planning to compete in a golf tournament on the weekend of October 5 and October 6, 2002. This perplexed many of his golfing friends since he was said to have been looking forward to playing in this tournament.

Possible Match #2. Although the stats match, its hard to say if there really is a resemblence as the photo is of such poor quality. Also this Jerry went missing in October of 2001, the recently revised estimate for the date of John Doe's death starts in August of 2002.

Edit: I found a link at the Charley Project, and they have a different photo which I've added here for comparison. Charley project link http://charleyproject.org/cases/c/cushey_jerry.html
- the upper part of the face seems to match but the jawline is DEFINITELY not a match.

Charlie Project - John Doe - Rino Kids
http://www.rinokids.com/Adults/Cushey/

Jerry Lee Cushey

DOB 23-DEC-1971
Race WHITE
Sex MALE
Hair BLACK
Eyes BROWN
HEIGHT 5'9"
WEIGHT 170 LBS
NCIC #
Date Missing 12-OCT-2001
Location Union Township, PA

http://kdka.com/local/local_story_303184336.html

Local Man Missing... Without a Trace

(KDKA) Pittsburgh On October 12, 2001, Jerry Cushey of Monongahela vanished without a trace. Cushey's family suspects foul play was involved in his disappearance -- and they're on a mission to try and find out what happened.

Cushey lived in an apartment above a Mon Valley tattoo parlor. In fact, he was last seen standing in front of this place. Though he was headed to a bar that night, he never showed up.

"My mom called every day during the week. There was no return phone call -- and that's when we started getting worried." -- Sonya Helmantoler, Cushey's Sister

Then someone returned the Jeep that Cushey had borrowed from his father.

"I looked out and I seen this person going down the driveway -- he had like a black tank top on and tan shorts." -- Jerry Cushey Sr., Cushey's father

Whoever returned the Jeep left no fingerprints or any other clues. In fact, the jeep had been wiped clean.

The family says that wasn't the only thing that stunned them. Cushey's roommate told the family that Jerry had stolen some money and his van -- and was on the run.

The van was later discovered in Cheat Lake, West Virginia with a twig holding down the gas pedal. Once again -- the vehicle had been wiped clean.

Family members consulted a psychic, who led them back to Cheat Lake -- to a dock where four men had been spotted the same weekend Cushey disappeared. Divers found a hat that the family believes belonged to Cushey -- but nothing else.

During their search for answers, family members say they received a disturbing phone call.

"The guy on the phone told me to back off. I said, 'Excuse me?' He said to back off or things were going to happen." -- Sonya Helmantoler, Cushey's Sister

Cushey's family says they won't be intimidated. They're hoping if they can solve the mystery of his disappearance, they'll be able to convince police to investigate the case as a homicide and bring the person responsible to justice.

If you know anything about Jerry Cushey's disappearance, his family asks that you call the state police in Belle Vernon at 724-929-5131. Your tip can be anonymous.

Both have pretty distinctive dentals that perhaps don't match Fairy-I looked up the UID on the NamUS/UDRS website and the UID had no molars, but had fillings, root canals and some broken teeth....

The match simply says crooked teeth-if you call LE for the match can you ask them if they have a complete set of dentals for their missing person case?

Here is the NamUs link...
https://identifyus.org/?p=case&i=2054&=0&s=DateFound_DESC&from=search

Thank you, believe09. I may be missing something, but I'm not seeing specific dentals on either????

Thank you, believe09. I may be missing something, but I'm not seeing specific dentals on either????

When you click on the NamUs/UDRS link, your UID will pop up. Look at the column on the left and you can click on dental. It will bring up the teeth that were found and what state they were in.

The report feature in the same column is where I usually find really good info about the disposition of the remains when they were first located.

Your missing guy is listed as having crooked front teeth...

When you click on the NamUs/UDRS link, your UID will pop up. Look at the column on the left and you can click on dental. It will bring up the teeth that were found and what state they were in.

The report feature in the same column is where I usually find really good info about the disposition of the remains when they were first located.

Your missing guy is listed as having crooked front teeth...

Thank you. Still, I have the feeling that the missing guy was "dropped off" by someone he didn't know well. I don't see anything on the UID dental record that allows for crooked teeth - just dental work or present teeth. If the missing guy was dropped off by someone other than a close family member, they may not have know his specific dental history. Do you not see a physical resemblance?

Thank you. Still, I have the feeling that the missing guy was "dropped off" by someone he didn't know well. I don't see anything on the UID dental record that allows for crooked teeth - just dental work or present teeth. If the missing guy was dropped off by someone other than a close family member, they may not have know his specific dental history. Do you not see a physical resemblance?

-One man is white one man is American Indian
-Skin tones are waaaaay off
-at least 6 years age difference
-face shape drastically different

Really though the skin tone/race alone should have stopped you from submitting it. I think we need to really step back and look at the cases and consult with people before randomly submitting UIDs.

Props on the efforts but to me it's a big 'no'.

I don't think it is way off.

First of all, the recon on the UID was based on skeletal remains so skin tone, some of the face shape and features and even some racial characteristics can be way off.

UID also says possible American Indian so I would not discount Kelvin. I think it is worth submitting because you never know.

First of all, the recon on the UID was based on skeletal remains so skin tone, some of the face shape and features and even some racial characteristics can be way off.

UID also says possible American Indian so I would not discount Kelvin. I think it is worth submitting because you never know.

I fully agree.

LE I talked to stressed they do want to receive tips, even if some characteristics do not match. There may be additional information which LE did not make public, which might support the possibility of the match. They decide whether it is worth pursuing or not.

Agreed. Forensic anthropology is not an exact science. Artistic renderings may also vary greatly from what an individual looked like in life. At best you can count on aproximations. As someone who was following the Cengiz Han Nurray thread I was reminded by someone in the field that phsyical and circumstantial similarities are not the always the best way to determine a match between an UID and a missing person. I am certain LE is capable of determining which sumissions are worthy of further investigation.

Really though the skin tone/race alone should have stopped you from submitting it. I think we need to really step back and look at the cases and consult with people before randomly submitting UIDs.

I'm not really sure why you felt the need to be so insulting, but I stand by my choice to send this one in. If it's not a match, I prefer to hear it from the authorities. I also believe you should take a second, more careful look at these gentlemen. Vitals are commonly off - particularly with UID's and very often with missing persons. IMO, there are compelling similarities and I would prefer to take a chance in assisting rather than dismissing the possibility out of hand.

Originally Posted by Tom Friendly

-One man is white one man is American Indian Possible white/Indian mix - and that could come from parents or grandparents but not be immediately obvious
-Skin tones are waaaaay off but probably extrapolated from bone structure given decomposition and that any skin remaining would be highly discolored if not rotted
-at least 6 years age difference misper was ca.27 at time of death of UID, only three years outside the range
-face shape drastically different combination of slim nose, wide jaw and brow line on both UID and misper don't seem drastically different to me. Major differences are in hair line and eye shape, which might not be evident from skeletalized remains.

I agree that putting matches out here to discuss before submitting them is a good idea but this is nowhere near as far off as you have suggested, unless the picture of the UID is an actual photograph and not a reconstruction, or if the dentals are available for comparison.

I agree that putting matches out here to discuss before submitting them is a good idea but this is nowhere near as far off as you have suggested, unless the picture of the UID is an actual photograph and not a reconstruction, or if the dentals are available for comparison.

I see one man with a circle face and one with a square one. Everyone that has seen the pics here agrees.

Hey, proove me wrong. If I'm wrong I'll donate $100 to the charity of your choice.

I'm no expert and don't search the UID sections of the forum a whole lot, but the sketch and the pic of the missing man look quite a bit alike to me. Skin tone medium, age in the right range, NA, and height looked to be the same to me. The only thing might be if the missing man is proven full blood NA and the UID is proven by any dna recovered to only be part NA.

-Really though the skin tone/race alone should have stopped you from submitting it..

It does state "WHITE" on the UID as race, however, if you continue to read down under "Identifying Char." it clearly states "Possible race of White/Hispanice or WhiteAm Indian".

IMHO we can't go by 6 yrs off age, I have seen ages off by 15-20 yrs. When working w/UID there is a lot of wiggle room.

Thirdly, and what most grabbed my attention to this possible match is the face structure. It is VERY similiar, IMO. The shape of the jaw line, that would be something the forensic artist could 'get' with the skull, IMO, the squareness is interesting...the hair cut (line) shape of nose, width of neck.

May be totally off. But it is MHO that it is worth a submit.

This is an easy rule out, the jewelry, dentals, and if needed DNA. Not hard to see.

If it is no a match....I suggest we make sure LE, all involved in these 2 cases are aware of Campaign for the Missing, DNA Training for LE, and try to help out in both of these cases now that they are brought to our attention.

Fairy....you rock! :blowkiss:

The time difference in lost/found nags me. I'd like to know more about the missing person. Any research done on him to date? Circumstances?

I thought I would do something....my friend was here tonight, has no part in ws, or anything.....I brought up both pics and said "tell me what you think"...

"the first thing I notice, the width, the height of the faces, that grabs me"

"the nose"...."the lips, pokin' out, pulled".

As a sleuther, I just wanted to post this to show you all how the mind works.

I thought they looked very similiar... While the UID showed more of a square face on both sides, the missing persons left ( our right ) was square as well - his face was not symetrical.

Fairy, did you follow up and have you submitted it to both LE and the coroner or ME handling the UID. I had to do that with the recent UID I submitted a few calls to each and two emails to each before I really heard anything. My suggestion is to submit to both. LE is sometimes buried and the ME will prolly get to LE and push a bit harder for info than the average person like ourselves.

GL!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back