1266 users online (242 members and 1024 guests)  

Websleuths News

State of Disbelief. SC

Detectives: Brother shot 6-year-old boy in head

On Tuesday officials said the 6-year-old shot himself in the head after managing to unlock his parent's gun safe at their home in a rural area near Lystair Lake west of Shelton.

Mason County sheriff's Chief Criminal Deputy Dean Byrd said new evidence indicates the brother is responsible, despite investigators having been told at the scene that the younger boy shot himself with the pistol.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

west of Middle of Nowhere Missouri
    good lord, what a tragedy!!! I'm assuming this was a horrible accident, and not that the older 8 yr old had any malicious intent. I dont know how they 8 yr old or the 6 yr old could manage to unlock a gunsafe and load a weapon though. Maybe I underestimate these boys. I do think that the ammo should have been locked in another location, or the gun should have a better lock system with children in the house. My heart goes out to this family, and both their little boys.

I hope LE looks closely at the parents involvement/responsibility in the situation. No 6 and 8 year olds should have been able to gain access to a gun and bullets. Poor little one and if this was truly an accident can you imagine the guilt the 8 year old brother will carry throughout his life?

I've never seen nor touched a gun so I know nothing about the possibilities. However, I do know little boys. I have to say that they can be quite crafty with their abilities. If they'd watched Mom or Dad work the safe or load the gun, I wouldn't be surprised that they could manage. I know how shocked I am each time I read of a young one driving a car.

I rarely make comments about guns but they just don't figure into my life. I couldn't bear the worry. We don't even have sharp knives, nail files, or scissors available with the children we've raised. And of course I realize that one can be killed with a whack on the head. It's just a little less to worry about.

My heart goes out to the family and prayers for both boys.