The Wall of Hope - New location!

SurfieTX

Reaction score
What are your opinions on the Wall of Hope staying at the school? Do you think it should stay up after school starts, come down, or be relocated?

I personally feel it should be relocated.

Relocated. Events like Kyron's disappearance cause children great anxiety, and reminders of those events need to be minimized. Children worry that they too can disappear, be abducted, kidnapped, hurt, killed. Not a good thing.

I think it should be relocated, for the sake of the school children. They need to get back to some kind of normallcy at the school, and the children should feel safe there.

Relocate or get rid off. Just does not need to be near school, the children, the teachers, any possible perps near school. The fear would be too great for the young students, too cool for the older students, the teachers may even have more trouble focusing and worrying too much.

It would be great if a local church would sponsor it. Would be great to get it inside too, so items left for Kyron aren't damaged by the weather. Or even outside, on a church's grounds, perhaps a local business would sponsor a small shelter for the items to be left in. That would be very nice I think.

It would be great if a local church would sponsor it. Would be great to get it inside too, so items left for Kyron aren't damaged by the weather. Or even outside, on a church's grounds, perhaps a local business would sponsor a small shelter for the items to be left in. That would be very nice I think.

Excellent suggestion! Might prevent the future vandalism that is inevitable by teens or preteens.

I think it could serve as a rather scary reminder to Kyron's schoolmates. Children need to feel safe at school. I think that will be hard to achieve with the wall of hope still there as a daily reminder that Kyron wasn't safe. It should be removed and the tokens presented to mom and dad.

It shouldn't remain at the school. As far as moving it elsewhere, there is the issue of what if Kyron is never found? Does it stay in place forever? Anytime it comes down will be an emotional statement and seen by some as a loss of hope. I'm just not sure what should be done-perhaps D&K have a particular preference.

I live in MI and wasn't able to contribute to or visit the Wall of Hope. I've decided to include red balloons with the purple ones that I'll get next week in honor of HaLeigh Cummings. If alive, HaLeigh would turn seven next Tuesday, and Kyron was seven at the time of his disappearance. Both of these children whose cases I've followed intently continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

I think that the Wall of Hope should be dismantled and moved prior to the start of school. jmo

Haven't I read that when the memorials are dismantled, the items are given to the family? I think that would be a good idea. When the rains returns, all of it will get soaked, which is another reason it needs to come down.

To me, the kids won't be able to get back to normal again with it there. And as sad as it is to go on without Kyron, the kids need to be able to go to school without a constant reminder that Kyron is out there somewhere.

Maybe they could take it down, give to the family, and put up a small permanent plaque of hope for Kyron's safe return?

Such a difficult decision. My heart goes out to Kyron's loved ones and the Skyline community as a whole.

I'm thinking a living memorial tree would be a nice gesture..And a Red Ribbon tied around it...JMO

My 12yr old going on 30, went with me yesterday and she said she felt "weird".
It didn't bother her in a bad way, and as I went around to take pictures, she asked if she could play in the playground.

A lot of people bring things up and take pictures, I think that would be a distraction for the students.

I know I kept a close eye on her while she was playing, as the Wall of Hope attracts so many people, and you just never know.

I know for sure I would not like it there if she attended Skyline.

I think the hardest thing is that it is a "Wall of HOPE" and as long as Kyron is not found it is difficult to know what we can do or where we can do it, so the community (and everyone else) can express their prayers and wishes for Kyron to be found..

Gosh, what a great question and yet the answers are heart wrenching. IMHO D & K should be the ones to either dismantel it or request that it be removed for the well being of the children entering Skyline. Would speculate that no one would remove anything without their permission/suggestion.

Truly appreciated the idea of a plaque, or a tree to remember Kyron. Or Bean's wonderful suggestion of moving it to a church.

Good gravy, there are no comforting answers to this horrific situation...

Where are you, angel?

I'm thinking a living memorial tree would be a nice gesture..And a Red Ribbon tied around it...JMO

I thought about a tree, as well, or a garden with lots of red flowers! The teacher in me would want students to help maintain the garden to keep it blooming beautifully in memory of Kyron :)

Kind of weird....
I was in the doctors office today and they had a copy of the July 19 issue of People Magazine and in in was a picture of DY at the Wall of Hope. Must have been the lighting but her hair looked definitely like it was red, more so than TH's. Like I said really weird!

I think it should be removed - DY and KH should be given the oversight of where the items should go.

Okay, seems the best answer is remove it, give all to KH and DY to have. If anyone wants to plant a tree somewhere, well that should probably be up to KH and DY, and not near the school.

Just to clarify, I was one of the little ones that cried and was terrified to go to school up until 4th grade. Cannot believe I remember this, but not what I did yesterday, lol. (Add decades and mix.) I was so awful, I cried, fell in the mud and oil outside the school, cried in the school, I just could not get adjusted to all the big people and the fears, the loud voices, the mean big kids and so on.

A scary wall of objects that would have been as wide as the ocean to me at that young an age, would have made be on meds at 5 years old. No way I could have dealt with it and everyone telling me, "Oh that is for Kyron, he went missing from this hallway." Nope, not good.

I am sorry to say that, but really, it has to be removed at some point, and now is best. The community and KH/DY can decide on a tree, park bench, or any other gesture, if any, that would be less scary, and no where near the school. JMO.

Article today

Kyron's Wall of Hope being moved

snip
Kyron Horman's Wall of Hope memorial at Sklyine School will be moving before the start of classes.

snip
Kyron's family is working with school officials to find another location, possibly Portland Public School district headquarters. An announcement was expected in coming days.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Kyron-Wall-missing-Hope-portland-moved-100694899.html

Good, it should be moved before school starts. Small children can think literally, and some might believe that they could also disappear or be taken from the school by a stranger while walking down a hall. Also, they need to be educated at school, nothing else, and not reminded of bad things while there. That's up to their families what they know about horrible things that happen in the world.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back