Measles Coming Through Philly Airport Montco County And Jersey Shore

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
A person who had visited Malawi, Africa where there is an outbreak of measles has contracted the disease.

If you're not vaccinated, have an immuno compromised condition and see link for other warnings you may want to seek medical attention.

The flight and gate number at the airport is listed. The Doctor's office in Montco where the person was seen is listed. Two supermarkets are listed as well one of which I have a relative that works there.

Oh and looks like the person was in Longport, New Jersey on the beach.

That's scary stuff especially for pregnant women. Personally I'm cool because I had them in infancy although they told my mom I couldn't contract them due to her antibodies. I almost died. So, this scared me.

http://www.pottsmerc.com/articles/2010/08/13/news/doc4c65ac5f9a802829033774.txt

Babies that have not received the full measles vaccine are susceptible to this?

I remember the DPT shots we got for the kids in series. I truly wasn't aware the measles vaccine isn't all in just one shot.:eek:

Yet another reason for travelers to make sure they are innoculated before traveling.

I'm old enough to have had to suffer the measles as a baby instead of having the immunizations.

At the age of 33 a titer showed I had no immunity. I had to wait until I gave birth to get a shot.

JFYI.

I'm old enough to have had to suffer the measles as a baby instead of having the immunizations.

At the age of 33 a titer showed I had no immunity. I had to wait until I gave birth to get a shot.

JFYI.

Thank you, Kat. I appreciate the information.

See, now I had a titer and I showed immunity when I took an MLT course. I was 30 years old at the time.

It's mentioned that the vaccine between 1964 and 1967 wasn't strong enough? For lack of a medical term. Then they also aren't saying what type of measles the person has. I know I had German measles. I was also exposed to roseola when I was pregnant and my grandmom and mom about hit the roof. However, I now understand it's a different kind of measles.

I just fear for people walking around with their infants. Again they say antibodies from mom will protect them, but just as you mentioned in your case this isn't so.

Not meaning to be an alarmist, but that virus is no joke.

I agree Filly. We not only have to worry about the infants but we need to worry also about those that have immune systems that are compromised, a large population of immigrants that may not have had access to immunizations in their originating country, and a growing population of children who's parents have chosen not to have them immunized.

They are all at risk IMHO.

Kat it seems like anyone under the age of 65 years old or so just shrugs their shoulders at this.

Besides me having them and my brothers eventually geting them I recall my mom telling about how Olivia Dehaviland caught the virus while pregnant. Don't quote me on that as I may have the wrong actress.

Recenlty three of my friends had babies. I didn't want to scare them, but told them it's best not be bring them out in large crowds. All three live up by Narberth.

I haven't seen anything else on it thank goodness and hope I won't.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/measles/faqs-dis-vac-risks.htm nice FAQ about the vaccines. If in doubt get a titer drawn. Years ago health care workers were informed to have titers drawn. I had my childhood MMR, titer showed I was not immune to measles. It was done prior to 1968, when they used an ineffective form of killed measles vaccine. I told my sister born in '72 to be tested, she was not immune to rubella, and was pregnant so had to wait to be revaccinated.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/measles/faqs-dis-vac-risks.htm nice FAQ about the vaccines. If in doubt get a titer drawn. Years ago health care workers were informed to have titers drawn. I had my childhood MMR, titer showed I was not immune to measles. It was done prior to 1968, when they used an ineffective form of killed measles vaccine. I told my sister born in '72 to be tested, she was not immune to rubella, and was pregnant so had to wait to be revaccinated.

Didn't we think we were immune to all this stuff us old folks? I'm talking in the like 50 years old or so age.

Plus those before us didn't y'all get this stuff? I recall people saying your parent would put all the kids in the same room with the one with chickenpox or whatever so everybody got it over with.

Plus, how about people that gesture to the huge scar on the top of their arm and go "See this? I'm immune to everything". When we were kids we'd have like contests wh had the biggest vaccination scar. Back in our parents day now they were huge.

Now we have to worry about being on the beach in Longport (which I love by the way) and getting a dose of measels?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back