NY NY - ANDRE RAND - Missing children on Staten Island, 1970's-80's

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Infamous kiddie sex-fiend Andre Rand — finally on trial in the 1981 disappearance of a 7-year-old Staten Island girl — fashioned a child's body out of prison bedding and then masturbated on it, prosecutors alleged yesterday. Rand — dubbed the "Hannibal Lecter of Staten Island" — is already serving 25 years to life for the kidnapping of another 12-year-old borough girl in 1988. He was spotted by other inmates using the bedding for sicko sex, lead prosecutor Mario Mattei said in Staten Island Supreme Court.

Rand's homemade "doll" consisted of a rectangular piece of green eggshell foam that had part of its top tied off with a piece of string to form what prosecutors claimed was a small head.

It was seized from the 60-year-old convict's cell at Auburn Correctional Facility in 2001 after "he was observed sleeping with it and cuddling with it," Mattei said.

DNA tests later showed it had Rand's semen on it, prosecutors said.

But prosecutors were unsuccessful yesterday in their bid to get the bedding admitted as evidence in the sensational case, which riveted the city more than 20 years ago when little Holly Ann Hughes vanished.

After the jury was sent home halfway through the day, Judge Stephen Rooney ruled during a hearing that the bedding's shape "is amorphous.

"You could look at this and call it almost anything you want," he said.

Rand is accused of abducting Holly Ann on July 15, 1981, after she walked to the corner deli to buy a bar of Ivory soap.

Her body was never found, but witnesses will reportedly testify that she got into the drifter's green Volkswagen that day. The suspect has already admitted talking to her after watching her walking to the store.

Rand's ex-girlfriend, Eileen Nix, is set to take the stand today to testify that her former beau used to beg her to wear pigtails.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/29387.htm

Casshew said:
Infamous kiddie sex-fiend Andre Rand — finally on trial in the 1981 disappearance of a 7-year-old Staten Island girl — fashioned a child's body out of prison bedding and then masturbated on it, prosecutors alleged yesterday. Rand — dubbed the "Hannibal Lecter of Staten Island" — is already serving 25 years to life for the kidnapping of another 12-year-old borough girl in 1988. He was spotted by other inmates using the bedding for sicko sex, lead prosecutor Mario Mattei said in Staten Island Supreme Court.

Rand's homemade "doll" consisted of a rectangular piece of green eggshell foam that had part of its top tied off with a piece of string to form what prosecutors claimed was a small head.

It was seized from the 60-year-old convict's cell at Auburn Correctional Facility in 2001 after "he was observed sleeping with it and cuddling with it," Mattei said.

DNA tests later showed it had Rand's semen on it, prosecutors said.

But prosecutors were unsuccessful yesterday in their bid to get the bedding admitted as evidence in the sensational case, which riveted the city more than 20 years ago when little Holly Ann Hughes vanished.

After the jury was sent home halfway through the day, Judge Stephen Rooney ruled during a hearing that the bedding's shape "is amorphous.

"You could look at this and call it almost anything you want," he said.

Rand is accused of abducting Holly Ann on July 15, 1981, after she walked to the corner deli to buy a bar of Ivory soap.

Her body was never found, but witnesses will reportedly testify that she got into the drifter's green Volkswagen that day. The suspect has already admitted talking to her after watching her walking to the store.

Rand's ex-girlfriend, Eileen Nix, is set to take the stand today to testify that her former beau used to beg her to wear pigtails.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/29387.htm

SICKO!!!!

God I wish these guys could be put into regular prison population. They would be dealt with like they deserve to be. Kidnapping & murdering a child is inhumane. So let the A@@@@#$*W(^*&%^& die that way. Inhumanely painful.

blueclouds said:
God I wish these guys could be put into regular prison population. They would be dealt with like they deserve to be. Kidnapping & murdering a child is inhumane. So let the A@@@@#$*W(^*&%^& die that way. Inhumanely painful.

Agreed!
I hate how they put them in "seg" -thats crap.They DESERVE to be within the general population!!!!!!

Exactly - let be done to them as they have done to children !!!

Tonight on ID Channel called Cropsey....

I saw that last night and it was fascinating. In fact, it was on again this AM and I watched part of it again. What I found really interesting was the fact that people WERE living IN and around the abandoned school.

that sounds interesting. i'll have to watch for repeat of it since missed it.

Andre Rand was suspected of being an alleged serial child abductor/killer in 1970's & 1980's on Staten Island. Some children have not been found, yet.

I saw this on cable last night...I do remember this happening in the news back then and how horrified I felt since becoming a new mom...

For all those still missing, I do hope one day, you will be found. You have a angels working on earth who has been vigilant since starting this group for Jennifer, the first child taken. Donna Cutugno along with a retired detective are still looking for you all as I type this. May God watch over until she does...JMHO

Tribeca Film Festival's 'Cropsey' recounts horrifying Staten Island murders
BY Robert Dominguez
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 11:19 AM

When a group of friends and neighbors from Staten Island ventured into Manhattan last weekend to watch a hard-hitting crime documentary at the Tribeca Film Festival, most had no idea just how gutwrenching the experience would be.

It's been 22 years since a creepy drifter who lived in the woods behind the abandoned ruins of a mental institution was arrested for the kidnaping and murder of a 12-year-old girl with Down's syndrome — a horrific crime that soon took on a more ominous tone when the man, 43-year-old Andre Rand, became a suspect in the disappearances of several other Staten Island children over the years.

The strange case of Andre Rand and the still-missing kids remains one of the biggest mysteries in the annals of New York criminal history, and is now the subject of "Cropsey," a gripping documentary that debuted at this year's Tribeca fest.

But for the friends and neighbors of the victims who attended Saturday's screening, sitting through a rehashing of Rand's crimes — both real and imagined — was almost unbearably painful despite the passage of time.

"It was very emotional, and very sad," says Donna Cutugno, a neighbor of Jennifer Schweiger, the disabled girl who was abducted and killed in the summer of 1987 and whose body is still the only one that was ever found.

"You tend to put things in the back of your mind over the years, but seeing the film brought a lot of bad things back," adds Cutugno, who spearheaded the neighborhood search for Jennifer's body when the little girl went missing.

"It's still very painful because there has been no closure for my family," says Rita DiMartino, the aunt of Alice Periera, a 5-year-old girl whose disappearance in 1972 has been linked to Rand, though never proven.

"Alice's mother passed away without ever knowing what happened to her. But even though they focused more on (Jennifer), on the whole (the film makers) did a great job, because this is something that should be shown everywhere to build awareness that you can't trust people like (Rand)."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz0wgDvgFFP

'Cropsey' documentary explores a missing children case
Review
Sunday, August 08, 2010
By Rob Owen, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When a real-life crime story involves the disappearance of developmentally disabled children and a drooling, wild-eyed suspect, where, between fact and folklore, can the truth be found?

That's the question at the heart of "Cropsey," a documentary film about missing children on Staten Island in the 1970s and 1980s. The movie has its television premiere Friday at 9 p.m. on Investigation Discovery, the first in the network's quarterly "ID Films" presentations of independent documentary features.

'Cropsey'
When: 9 p.m. Friday, Investigation Discovery

Filmmakers Josh Zeman and Barbara Brancaccio frame the story of the accused, Andre Rand, and five missing children in a familiar context: the boogeyman. Growing up both filmmakers had heard of "Cropsey," a generic term for an on-the-loose maniac that was popularized at camps near the Hudson River, according to Penn State Hazleton professor of folklore Bill Ellis.

"Cropsey" blends traditional documentary interviews and sleuthing with images and scenes more reminiscent of "The Blair Witch Project." On a couple of occasions, the movie tries too hard to go down an occult path to devil worshippers in Monstertown, but then it pulls back. As Zeman notes in his narration, "The power of an urban legend is that it doesn't claim to be the truth, but rather it says the truth is a range of possibilities and it's the audience who must decide. So pick one."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10220...#ixzz0wgGISYSc

Posted on 06/03/2010 10:19:31 PM

S.I. FILMMAKERS FACE BOGEYMAN
Posted on 10/03/2004 04:00:00 AM

THEY CALL HIM their "bogeyman."Andre Rand - who is now on trial for the 1981 disappearance of 7-year-old Holly Ann Hughes - has haunted a generation of Staten Island children. In an attempt to face their childhood fears, two of them, Joshua Zeman, 32, and Barbara Brancaccio, 33, are making a documentary film

PLEAD WITH RAND TO FESS ON HOLLY & 5
Posted on 10/13/2004 04:00:00 AM

THE FAMILY OF A child abducted by Andre Rand stood outside Staten Island Supreme Court yesterday and begged the convicted kidnapper to reveal where other long-missing women and children are buried. Rand, on trial in the kidnapping of Holly Ann Hughes, who was never seen again, was convicted in the abduction

Tribeca Film Festival's 'Cropsey' recounts horrifying Staten Island murders
Posted on 04/29/2009 11:19:06 AM

When a group of friends from Staten Island went to Manhattan to watch a hard-hitting crime documentary at the Tribeca Film Festival, most had no idea just how gutwrenching it would be.

CON: RAND TOLD ME HE KILLED S.I. GIRL, 7
Posted on 10/08/2004 04:00:00 AM

IN A SERIES of chilling statements, convicted kidnapper Andre Rand compared himself to serial killer Ted Bundy and admitted abducting a 7-year-old Staten Island girl 23 years ago, an inmate testified yesterday. Rand, on trial for the July 15, 1981, disappearance of Holly Ann Hughes, made the statements on mo

CLOSURE STILL MISSING TRIAL BEGINS IN '81 CHILD ABDUCTION CASE
Posted on 09/19/2004 04:00:00 AM

NOTORIOUS STATEN Island child predator Andre Rand's own chilling words may end up slamming the prison doors behind him - this time for good. "They're not going to find a body,"Rand allegedly boasted to an inmate about Holly Ann Hughes, 7, who disappeared in 1981. "But if they do, I'm finished."Rand goes to t

JURY: PEDOPHILE TOOK HOLLY
Posted on 10/20/2004 04:00:00 AM

THERE IS FINALLY some justice for little Holly Ann Hughes. A Staten Island courtroom erupted with sobs of relief yesterday when a jury convicted Andre Rand, 60, of kidnapping 7-year-old Holly more than two decades ago. Her body hasn't been found. When Holly's mother, father and two brothers heard the word "G

PAST HAUNTS PRESENT S.I. kidnap trial stirs fearsome memories
Posted on 10/17/2004 04:00:00 AM

IN THE STATEN ISLAND neighborhood where Holly Ann Hughes and four other children disappeared more than 20 years ago, residents are still haunted by the memories. "Today, because of Andre Rand, you've got to keep an eye on your kids,"said Jimmy Rassias, a father of three who works in Port Richmond, where Holl

A PLEA FOR CLOSURE Ask Holly defendant to 'fess on missing 5
Posted on 10/13/2004 04:00:00 AM

THE FAMILY OF A child abducted by Andre Rand stood outside Staten Island Supreme Court yesterday and begged the convicted kidnapper to reveal where other long-missing women and children are buried. Rand, on trial in the kidnapping of Holly Ann Hughes, who was never seen again, was convicted in the abduction

SENTENCE DAY FOR KIDNAPPER HOLLY ANN, 7, NEVER FOUND
Posted on 11/24/2004 04:00:00 AM

NOTORIOUS STATEN Island kidnapper Andre Rand is set to be sentenced today for the 23-year-old abduction and disappearance of little Holly Ann Hughes. Rand was convicted last month of snatching the blue-eyed 7-year-old child from outside her Port Richmond home July 15, 1981. "I just hope he gets the maximum,

GETS THE MAX IN GIRL KIDNAP
Posted on 12/09/2004 04:00:00 AM

ANGUISHED relatives of Holly Ann Hughes lashed out yesterday at the man convicted of snatching the little girl off a Staten Island street 23 years ago. "Was she calling for 'Dad?' "Holly's brother, Sean, 32, asked stone-faced kidnapper Andre Rand. "Was she crying for 'Mom?' "Rand, 60, was hit with a 25-year-

More Andre Rand Articles from the Daily News

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/An...#ixzz0wgIb3W1T

Thanx for all the reply's on this documentary. Its the best I have ever seen.

I taped the show but would like to buy the tape. They have a website cropseylegend.com but does not let you join for some reason :(

I was on the fence about Rand being involved but when they showed him living in Hollys apartment building at the time of a disappearance well all I can say glad this guy is behind bars.

If anyone has a Netflix account, they have it streaming online, now. I am in the middle of watching it...

Yes "sadnews" I watched that last night (I had DVR-ed it and finally had a chance to sit and watch it), which is why I'm here now. Whenever I see/hear about any of these kinds of crimes (homicides, suspicious deaths, missing persons, kidnappings, etc.) I always come to WS after to make sure there is a thread about it and do some research. I don't post often though, I just like to read and research. I usually only post if I have anything different to add to the discussion. Usually there are plenty of people already saying what I'm thinking/feeling about it, which is the case here too. But I still needed to post this time anyway and agree that this guy was/is definitely a SICKO!! And that documentary gave me the heebie jeebies. All those people (former patients) just thrown out into regular population with no where to go, no support, and no monitoring and everyone knows they just continue to roam the grounds living in makeshift camp sites, but nobody does anything or cares until children start going missing. And all that space just abandoned and left as a breeding grounds for this kind of stuff. The people of Staten Island would be wise to clean up all those acres and use it for something productive, which would remove the appeal it has to the dark underbelly side of their society...and find a place to put all those displaced patients where they are safe and society is safe from them.

I remember this so clearly. I delivered newspapers around this time and saw the faces of these little girls every day.
It is the anniversary of Holly Hughes disappearance and there was an article on the SI website:
http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2011/07/plaintive_echoes_of_a_little_g.html

"STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Thirty years ago, 7-year-old Holly Ann Hughes left her Port Richmond home wearing a bathing suit, blue shorts and sandals, going to buy a bar of soap at the corner store. The cashier recalled that she was a nickel short and left the store empty-handed. Holly Ann never returned home."

Here is a rough Andre Rand Timeline

(*Please note the red highlights are the crimes he has not been convicted of but fit is MO, Victim type, Hunting ground or He has tentatively been linked to the victim)

March 1944 - Born Frank Rushan in Manhattan, grew up in Ithaca, N.Y
Early 1960s - Served in the Army
1966 and ’68 - New York’s Willowbrook State School
May 5 1969 - South Bronx, NY - 9-year-old Bronx girl into his car and drove her to a vacant lot. He removed his clothes and hers, but a passing police car interrupted the crime. Charged with attempted rape, Rand pleaded guilty to sexual abuse
Jan 1972 – sentenced to four years. He served 16 months – after release changes name to Andre Rand
July 10, 1972 - South Beach, Staten Island - Alice Pereira
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pereia_alice.html
Aug 11 1973 - Syracuse, Onondaga County, NY - Rosemary E. Hamilton Buck
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/buck_rosemary.html
June 24 1974 – Lumberton, Burlington, NJ – Margaret Fox
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fox_margaret.html
April 7 1975 – New Lisbon, Burlington, NJ – Steven Anderson & David Williams
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/anderson_steven.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/williams_david.html
Oct 6 1976 – NYC, NY –Cesilia Pena
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pena_cesilia.html
July 5 1977 – Brooklyn, NY – Audrey Lyn Nerenberg
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/nerenberg_audrey.html
1978 – Ethel Atwell – (Suspect in the rape and murder of Shin Lee, both woman Willowbrook aides)
March 9 1979 - Westampton Township, NJ - Lorraine Rea Herbster
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/herbster_lorraine.html

1979 - Accused of raping a young woman & a 15-yr girl, neither pressed charges.
July 1981 –NYC, NY– Holly Ann Hughes
1981 - offered a 9-year-old girl a lollipop and tried to entice her to ride in his Volkswagen. When she refused his offer, Rand followed her to her home and searched for her while she hid under a rug. No charges were filed.
January 9 1983 - West Brighton, Staten Island – 11 Children in van to Newark, NJ- charged with unlawful imprisonment and served 10 months in jail. (No mention of when 10 months were served)
Aug. 14 1983 - Staten Island - Tiahease Jackson
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/jackson_tiahease.html
June 9 1984 – Staten Island – Henry Gafforio
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gafforio_henry.html
July 1 1984 – Amherst NY, Nancy Jo Scamurra
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/scamurra_nancy.html
July 9, 1987 – Westerleigh, Staten Island - Jennifer Schweizer

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can find more information about Eli E. Vanderpool Jr. 17yrs old, missing from Smithboro, New York on November 26, 1985.

other then, the update on Doe network;

"In 2005, someone found some leg bones inside a tube sock in the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. The bones were identified as Vanderpool's in February 2007. Authorities do not know what caused his death or where the rest of his body is. "

http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved/resolved28.html

Could any of these missing be among the remains that have been found on Staton Island?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back