1009 users online (262 members and 747 guests)  

Websleuths News

Penn's woods

GA - Sidonia Harmon, 29, Atlanta, 9 July 1991

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1448DFGA

Sidonia Lavern Harmon
    Missing since between July 18 - October 9, 1991 from Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    •Date Of Birth: August 7, 1961
    •Age at Time of Disappearance: 29 years old
    •Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"-5'7"; 110-117 lbs.
    •Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Black hair; brown eyes. Medium complexion.
    •Marks, Scars: Scar beside left eye, small scars on abdomen just below navel.
    •AKA: She-She
    •Other: User of crack cocaine. DNA is available.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Harmon was last seen at her boyfriends residence in the vicinity at 4139 Camp Benton Road in Atlanta, GA. on July 18, 1991.
    She may have been seen there on the 2nd or 3rd of August, 1991. She was reported missing on October 9, 1991.
    Her mother and daughter made the report. She had left before, but not for this length of time.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Atlanta Police Department
    Missing Persons Unit
    Atlanta FBI Office
    Agency Case Number: 973091309

NCIC Number: M-073210601
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Tiny bit more detail on circumstances.

Dental: None
    Fingerprints: None
    DNA: None

Sidonia has been missing 19 years today. Come home soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Salem; 01-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Atlanta, GA
    Sidonia Harmon was identified through DNA comparison in May 2011.

December 2011

Sometimes, cases take years to solve, like that of Sidonia Harmon, a 30-year-old Atlanta woman who, according to family members, had a crack problem and went missing July 9, 1991.

This month, her daughter, Temeka Strozier, called Stribling, asking why her mother’s photo had been removed from the department’s missing persons’ website.

It turns out Harmon’s remains had been found in March 1992 in a wooded area near Campbellton Road. But there was no apparent cause of death and the skeletal remains went unidentified until detectives obtained DNA samples from her family last year and matched them. Police told Harmon’s mother, but not her daughter.

“I never let it go,” said Strozier, who, at 35, is now older than her mother was the last time they saw each other. “Now I know a little, not a lot. I’m looking for more information. She was found only five minutes from my grandmother’s home. My question is, why did it take so long?

“It was part of my growing up, not knowing where my mom was and all this time she was in the hands of the Fulton County medical examiner,” said Strozier, who wants the homicide unit to take up the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    That is horrible! They've known it was her, but didn't notify her family?! That is so negligent and cruel. Those poor people needed to know right away that their loved one had been identified. My heart breaks for them.
    Do you have language questions or letters/documents that you'd like to have examined in order to determine the language background of the writer? I can help!

Atlanta, GA
    Ms. Harmon's family (her mother) WAS notified immediately when preliminary DNA results were received in May 2011 from the FBI CODIS lab.

I'm not sure what "...all this time..." is referring to, but Ms. Harmon's identity was not known until May 2011.

IMO it's a long time from May to December for the daughter not to know that her mother was found. Is she not in contact with Sidonia's mother?