Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 106DFNY

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/106dfny.html

Tiahease Tiawanna Jackson
Missing since August 14, 1983 from Staten Island, New York
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: October 5, 1972
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 11 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'8; 90 pounds
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Black hair; brown eyes.
•Medical Conditions: Jackson is diabetic and has high blood pressure. She also has Bright's Disease, a kidney disorder which requires medication and treatment.
•Marks, Scars: Burn scar on left arm
•Clothing: Dark blue ski jacket with white trim, a white sweater, blue jeans, blue plastic mesh shoes and two purple combs in her hair. She had a yellow metal necklace with butterfly and a silver bangle bracelet on her left wrist.
•Other: DNA available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Jackson was last seen leaving the "Mariner's Harbor Motel" on Staten Island, New York on August 14, 1983. Her mother sent her to purchase chicken on Forest Avenue. She never returned.

Three days after her disappearance investigators questioned Andre Rand. But they were unable to bring charges due to lack of witnesses and evidence. At the time of Tiahease's disappearance, Rand was known to have a campsite in Baron Hirsch Cemetery, Graniteville, which is less than half a mile from the Conca D'Oro. Tiahease's mother also told investigators a man fitting Rand's description often hung out in a van in a parking lot near the motel.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Jackson's case, please contact:
New York City Police Department
Missing Persons Squad
1-212-694-7781
OR
Crimestoppers
1-800-577-TIPS

NCMEC #: NCMC701777

NCIC Number: M-106129091
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/jackson_tiahease.html

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/tjackson.html

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/the_mystery_remains_the_search.html
Sunday, August 17, 2008

Two percent.

After disappearing a quarter of a century ago, that paltry figure represents the likelihood Tiahease Jackson is still alive, said an official from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

On Aug. 14, 1983, the 10-year-old girl left her home at the Conca D'Oro Motel in Mariners Harbor to buy chicken wings for a neighbor.
More at link.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6213/0/
Dental: Not available
DNA: not available
Fingerprints: not available

Tiahease has been missing 27 years today. Come home soon.

Attachments

• TJackson.jpg
    TJackson.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 36
  • TJackson1.jpg
    TJackson1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 36
Etan Patz is Not Alone: 15 Missing Child Cases in NYC Remain Unsolved

[snip]

Tiahease Jackson, 10, vanished on Aug. 14, 1983, after she left her home on Staten Island to buy chicken wings for a neighbor. According to reports, police believe she may have fallen prey to Andre Rand, a convicted kidnapper and sexual offender who hunted for victims on the streets of Staten Island in the 1970s and '80s. But no one has ever proved it.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...child-cases-nyc-remain-unsolved#ixzz1v6tM8Qc7

image640x480.jpg

Tiahease Jackson
Missing 14 August 1983
From Staten Island, NY

Vital Statistics

DOB: 5 October 1972
Sex: Female
Hair: Black
Eyes: Black
Height: 4 ft 8 in
Weight: 90 lbs

Source
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Hotline: 1-800-843-5678

Happy ending in Ohio gives loved ones of missing Staten Islanders reason to believe

[snip]

According to the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services the number of children (under the age of 18) reported missing in New York City and New York State in 2012 were 8,101 and 21,656 respectively.

[snip]

Tiahese Jackson was 10-years-old when she disappeared from the former Conca D'Oro Motel in Mariners Harbor Aug. 14, 1983. Her family has since moved out of state, and her body was never found.

More: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/05/happy_ending_in_ohio_gives_lov.html

Does anyone know what can be done when Doe Network says DNA available and NamUs says "Sample not available"? Does that mean it was collected by LE but isn't entered in the national database?

Has anyone encountered this before?

Any chance Rand didn't do it? maybe it was just tunnel vision. Where there any other suspects at the time? I know he killed some kids and became a myth a perfect example of the boogie man based on his mental behaviour but he never confessed and her body was never found. Rand is still alive, he's a good suspect but I hope police turned all possible stones. And if this lunatic did it why was her body so hard to find.I've seen that documentary about him BTW Cropsey.

If Rand did kill her, he must have been pretty lucky in finding a spot to hide the body. I doubt he had access to many places outside of the city, it seems like he stayed in the same general area most of the time.

The one thing about this case that has always bothered me is the fact that Tiahease vanished in the middle of August...wearing a ski jacket.

She was last seen leaving a shop on Forest Avenue on staten island, here a street view link to it
Google Maps

Here's another entry I found about her on whereaboutsunknown blog,
Tiahease Jackson

Tiahease Tiawanna Jackson
  • tiahease_tiawanna_jackson_1.jpg
  • tiahease_tiawanna_jackson_2.jpg
  • tiahease_tiawanna_jackson_3.jpg
    • Missing Since08/14/1983
    • Missing FromStaten Island, New York
    • ClassificationNon-Family Abduction
    • Date of Birth10/05/1972 (46)
    • Age10 years old
    • Height and Weight4'8, 90 pounds
    • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA dark blue ski jacket with white trim, a white ruffled blouse or sweater, blue Gitano jeans, blue plastic mesh shoes, a gold necklace with a butterfly charm, a silver bangle bracelet on her left wrist, and two purple combs in her hair.
    • Medical ConditionsTiahease has diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure and Bright's Disease, a kidney disorder which requires medication and treatment. She also suffers from learning disabilities.
    • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Tiahease has a burn scar on her left wrist and elbow and a mole on her left cheek. Her left eye is lazy and turns inwards. Her name is pronounced Ty-eese.
    • Details of Disappearance
      Tiahease was last seen leaving the Mariner's Harbor Motel on Forest Avenue in the New York City borough of Staten Island on August 14, 1983. She lived in the hotel with her mother and three siblings, the family having moved there after getting burned out of their apartment. The Jacksons planned to relocate to the southern United States.

At 1:30 p.m., while Tiahease's mother was asleep, another resident of the hotel sent Tiahease out to purchase chicken wings from the Crown Supermarket in the 900 block of Richmond Avenue.

Tiahease never returned to the hotel and has never been heard from again. Her mother woke up at 4:30 p.m., and, discovering her daughter had been missing for three hours, immediately called police.

Tiahease's mother describes her daughter as streetwise and wary of strangers. She frequently went on errands in the city, sometimes with her sister or a friend and sometimes alone, and had been warned about predators. She has never been heard from again. Tiahease's mother and uncle both passed lie detector tests and are not considered suspects in her disappearance.
Tiahease Tiawanna Jackson – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Tiahease Jackson, 11: May Have Fallen Victim To Serial Killer In 1983

She was only been 11-years-old, but Tiahease Jackson was described as a street-smart kid. She had been taught not to trust strangers and was well aware that there may be predators in her Staten Island neighborhood. In the late summer of 1983, Tiahease and her family—which included her mother, Gwendolyn Jackson, and three siblings—were living temporarily at the Mariners Harbor Motel on Forest Avenue. They had been displaced after a fire burned them out of their apartment, and the motel would become one of the last places that Tiahease Jackson was seen.

On August 14, 1983, Gwendolyn was reportedly taking a nap around 1:30 p.m. when another resident of the motel asked Tiahease, pronounced “Ty-eese”, to go to a local market to get them a pack of chicken wings. As her mother slept, the young girl went to the Crown Supermarket in the 900 block of Richmond Avenue and was reportedly last seen inside of the store. This wasn’t anything unusual for Tiahease Jackson, as she often ran errands in the city, sometimes with her sister or her sister’s friend. However, what happened to the 11-year-old remains a mystery because she never returned to the motel.

When her mother awoke at 4:30 p.m. and saw that Tiahease was not home, she immediately began searching for her daughter. Aside from the obvious worries about a child gone missing, Tiahease’s medical issues were also concerning. She was diagnosed with Brights Disease, or Glomerulonephritis, which is a kidney disorder that requires medication. She also had asthma, high blood pressure, and diabetes, all being treated medically, as well as learning disabilities.

Unsurprisingly, investigators questioned Tiahease’s family members and reportedly gave her mother and her uncle polygraph tests. Both passed and were cleared of wrongdoing early on in the search. There was a man whose name came up during the investigation, Andre Rand, and it was speculated that he may have had something to do with the disappearance of Tiahease Jackson.

If Rand’s name sounds familiar, it is because his name has been mentioned in several documentaries, including the famed 2009 film, Cropsey. Rand was convicted of the 1987 kidnapping and murder of Jennifer Schweiger, a 12-year-old girl with Downs Syndrome who went out for a walk and never returned home. He was also convicted of the 1981 abduction of seven-year-old Holly Ann Hughes who disappeared during her trip to the store to purchase soap for her mother.

Rand, real name Frank Rushan, reportedly lived in a makeshift campsite less than a half-mile from the motel where Tiahease and her family were staying, and the child’s mother told investigators that she saw a man matching his description often hanging out the motel’s parking lot in a van.

He is considered a suspect in several other cases, as well: Alice Pereira, 5 (1972); developmentally disabled Hank Gafforio, 22 (1984); Audrey Nerenberg, 18 (1977), Ethel Atwell, 47 (1978), and many others. Authorities lack evidence to try Rand on other cases they believe he is responsible for. The suspected serial killer will be eligible for parole in 2037 at 93-years-old.

Gwendolyn Jackson eventually relocated to her native Georgia with her remaining children. It is reported that in 2008, 25 years after Tiahease went missing, Gwendolyn passed away without learning what happened to her daughter.

At the time of her disappearance, Tiahease Jackson stood 4 feet 8 inches tall and weighed 90 pounds. She had black/dark brown hair and brown eyes. Tiahease has a lazy left eye that turns inward, a mole on her left cheek, and a scar on her left wrist that was caused by a burn. She was last seen wearing a white sweater or blouse, a dark blue ski jacket with white trim, blue jeans, blue plastic mesh shoes, a silver bangle bracelet on her left wrist, two purple combs in her hair, and a yellow metal necklace with a butterfly. Her middle name is “Tiawanna.” Tiahease would be 48-years-old at the time of this publication.

Anyone with information about this case is urged to contact the New York City Police Department – Missing Persons Squad at (212) 694-7781 or their local authorities. The agency case number is KNMP00347.

I remember reading about this particular case, but I think at the time (and still), everyone wanted to pin it on Rand. There are a few things I never understood though:

At around 1:30pm a neighbor asks Tiahease to buy chicken wings, did they ever name that neighbor, or did they ever question him further? The mother was sleeping in the apartment, the neighbor rings/knocks for a 10-year-old to run an errand?

At around 4:30pm the mother wakes up and looks for her daughter and can't find her. Where were her other kids? did they see Tiahease open the door and accept the neighbor's request to get them chicken wings?

Another thing that I'm scratching my head about is where was this "Crown Supermarket" located? I keep seeing that it was located on the 900 block of Richmond Ave. That would place it around this area: Citgo · 1810 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10310

I see someone else listed the location of the supermarket by here: Stop & Shop · 1351 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10302
Located at what is now Stop & Shop (previously it was Pathmark). Where was the Crown Supermarket located exactly?

I've walked from where the motel used to be to both locations, if it was where the Stop & Shop is located, that's a very far walk for chicken wings. Western Beef was there around at that time, just a few blocks from there. Shoprite further down, right across the street from Baron Hirsch Cemetery. That's been the one thing I can't seem to understand, where that supermarket was located and why did she have to go so far for chicken wings.

The mother relocated to Georgia with the rest of her children, she has since passed away.

I'm not very familiar with what is there now, been gone a long time. I'm not super sure of which street was which, but I think Crown was by the old Ilene Peters store. If you know where PS22 is, it would have been kitty-corner from there (across Richmond & Forest), if I remember right. Then if you kept going on Richmond past the Crown Supermarket, you'd come to Dakota Diner, which I think still exists. I haven't lived there in decades, so I hope that makes sense.

What i can't wrap my head around is her wearing a ski jacket in August.

I just looked at Google maps and my best guess is that the old Crown Supermarket is now called Fast Stop & Deli. I can't be 100% certain that's the exact spot but it was right in that area somewhere.

The ski jacket thing I can sort of understand, I've seen kids around her age wear coats and jackets in August! The Fast Stop & Deli isn't there anymore, it's a smoke shop now. Before that it was a cellphone shop, an ice-cream store and an antique shop(?) which was there probably around the time she disappeared. Right in front of it there's a building right across Dakota Diner, it used to be a pool/christmas tree store at the beginning of the 90's, not sure what it was before that. I've lived in the area for over 30 years now, a few things have changed but not enough where I couldn't remember if there was a Crown Supermarket there.

I feel like they tried to look for her but were so invested in Rand that they might not have looked at other people. Aside from her learning disability and her medical issues, she was a smart kid and knew how to be out on the streets (according to her mom).

Enough has changed that I can't really get my bearings looking at a current map. I am the same age as Tiahease and still lived there in 1983 but moved away a couple years later.

I can remember seeing the Crown Supermarket from the school bus by my school (PS22) everyday, that's the only reason I remember roughly where it was. I don't think I was ever inside the store.

One other thing I remember was that we all knew there was a "bogeyman" abducting kids, Holly Hughes and Alice Pereia had already gone missing by then, but I don't think anyone had identified Rand as the bogeyman until he got caught killing Jennifer Schweiger in the later 80s. We were hearing about a creepy red van near the schools but that was all.

All us kids in my neighborhood would play in and cut through the cemetery, the older kids would hang out there and smoke. If it had been known that Rand was involved and was known to camp in the cemetery, no way any of us would have been allowed in there.

I wish my memory of locations was more precise, it's been so long. I don't remember a Christmas tree place over there at all, I only remember Holly Hill which was closer to the mall, I think.

Last edited:
It ha
Enough has changed that I can't really get my bearings looking at a current map. I am the same age as Tiahease and still lived there in 1983 but moved away a couple years later.

I can remember seeing the Crown Supermarket from the school bus by my school (PS22) everyday, that's the only reason I remember roughly where it was. I don't think I was ever inside the store.

One other thing I remember was that we all knew there was a "bogeyman" abducting kids, Holly Hughes and Alice Pereia had already gone missing by then, but I don't think anyone had identified Rand as the bogeyman until he got caught killing Jennifer Schweiger in the later 80s. We were hearing about a creepy red van near the schools but that was all.

All us kids in my neighborhood would play in and cut through the cemetery, the older kids would hang out there and smoke. If it had been known that Rand was involved and was known to camp in the cemetery, no way any of us would have been allowed in there.

I wish my memory of locations was more precise, it's been so long. I don't remember a Christmas tree place over there at all, I only remember Holly Hill which was closer to the mall, I think.
It had to be this place: Papa's Halal Fried Chicken & Gyro · 1787 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10303
So, from where she lived to where she went "Crown Supermarket": PLS Check Cashers to Papa's Halal Fried Chicken & Gyro
Did they ever check the quarry? They saw her leave the supermarket; she could have gone the backway through Wilcox St.

It was a pool store and in the winter, it sold artificial trees and decorations. It was also a "City Carpet" at one point, you can see it if you go on Google Maps to 2007.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back