Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 2446DFNY

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2446dfny.html

Rosemary E. Hamilton Buck
Missing since August 11, 1973 from Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 110 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; hazel eyes.
•Clothing: White coat; blue jeans.
•AKA: Mary
•Dentals: Not available. Her two front teeth crossed slightly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Rosemary Buck was last seen hitchhiking near the corner of Sixth North Street and Wolf Street on August 11, 1973 at approximately 12:00 P.M.

She is the mother of a son who was 2 1/2 years old at the time. She had an apartment on Wolf Street, on Syracuse's North Side.
She had been in a mental hospital and struggled, with alcohol, a bad marriage, and was getting on and off public assistance.

Rosemary frequented the former Yellow Balloon Bar on Thompson Road, near Erie Boulevard East. She often traveled to attend rock concerts.
She told friends she was eventually going to Boston, MA., to meet with an unknown male friend.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Syracuse Police Department
315-442-5200

Agency Case Number: 05-328624

NCIC Number:
M-091232922
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/buck_rosemary.html
No activity on SS number.

Rosemary E. Hamilton Buck (20) - Syracuse NY, 1973 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Missing in America link---no discussion allowed there.

I do not find Rosemary listed in NamUs at this time.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=6153,1741682&dq=rosemary-buck&hl=en
Do not know who these remains turned out to be.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=5888,1777069&dq=rosemary-buck&hl=en
bones ruled out.

Rosemary has been missing 37 years today. Her son deserves answers. Come home soon.

Attachments

• RHBuck.jpg
    RHBuck.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 151
Bumping...

Circumstances of Disappearance

Rosemary Buck was last seen hitchhiking near the corner of Sixth North Street and Wolf Street on August 11, 1973 at approximately 12:00 P.M.

She is the mother of a son who was 2 1/2 years old at the time. She had an apartment on Wolf Street, on Syracuse's North Side.

She had been in a mental hospital and struggled, with alcohol, a bad marriage, and was getting on and off public assistance.

Rosemary frequented the former Yellow Balloon Bar on Thompson Road, near Erie Boulevard East. She often traveled to attend rock concerts.

She told friends she was eventually going to Boston, MA., to meet with an unknown male friend.

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2446dfny.html

Rosemary is now listed in Namus. NAMUS MP 7592. NAMUS shows the same picture of her as shown in the above posts. Bumping.

I'm hearing from Cold Case Investigators in Syracuse that her body was found on Indian Tribal Lands and that there are specific policies and procedures because of this. I'm awaiting confirmation on this I. The next few days.

I am unfortunately not having any luck with the Syracuse Police Dept. nor the Onondaga Co. Sheriffs Office. Does anyone know if she has relatives on Facebook that I could maybe speak with? I am attempting to tie her in with a Jane Doe in Lebanon County, PA.

Last week I spoke with an investigator with the SPD Cold Case Unit and he told me that he believed Rosemary Buck was found dead at an Indian Reservation in New York. I have been trying to get ahold of the same detective; however I lost his name and have been unsuccessful at reaching him. Further contact with SPD resulted in a phone war, where I was getting the runaround between the SPD and Onondaga Co. Sheriffs Office. I have had no other choice than to contact the admins for NAMUS and the PA State Police contact.

I am hoping I can get some answers by the end of the day, if not by the end of the week. I feel like this case needs to warm up a bit. If there was potential foul play, this needs to be taken seriously by all forms of law enforcement.

***CRITICAL UPDATE***
​
I now have some new information on my dogged search for answers involving the Rosemary Buck/Jonestown Jane Doe lead. This could definitely be a must read.

As I mentioned before, the SPD Cold Case Unit contacted me last week in regards to the information I submitted. The cold case detective mentioned that Rosemary Buck had be found on Indian Tribal Lands, but did not specify which state. He had followed up that he would call me in a few days when he got answers. He never called me back and I attempted to chat with the CCU, but I was bumped to the Onondaga Co. Sheriffs CCU. When I contacted OCSO CCU, they told me they were not involved in the case.

When I realized I was getting the reacharound, I stopped co-operating with the SPD and moved on to the Penn. State Police Jonestown Barracks. I attempted to contact Trooper Nathan Trate, who is in charge of this investigation. He did not pick up and I left two messages on his machine. He has not returned my phone calls.

On that note, I moved on to the NAMUS staff. I got a phone call from Dr. Richard Scanlon, an Odontologist for NAMUS yesterday but I was not able to pick up due to me driving on the road. He left a message inquiring more info on the Jane Doe and the potential match that I had. I returned his call and only got a message machine and left a message. He has not returned my phone call.

Then this morning I attempted contact with Carol Schweitzer, who is a consultant with NAMUS and also a key person with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). And I made contact....finally.

My conversation with Ms. Schweitzer was perhaps the most refreshing of all the attempts I made. After explaining my headache to her about the runarounds I received, I submitted Rosemary Buck as an official potential match. When Ms. Schweitzer looked it up, it was discovered she was submitted in 2015. But when I asked if there was a followup, she said she could not comment on that.

What does that statement tell me? Something recent has happened and I am assuming at this point that Ms. Buck is perhaps the Jane Doe in question due to the simple fact of the confidentiality surrounding this lead. This was a very similar situation with the Lake City John Doe case I worked on. The missing persons information was still up, as well as the John Doe profile, even though an identity was found a year before the arrest. I am assuming the information is classified due to the fact that this is a murder investigation and that they may be zeroing in on a suspect; so they have to be careful not to potentially tip off the suspect.

I ask that everyone following this keep a close eye on this case within the next few months or within the next year. Something big could happen.

Interesting. I did have brief contact with Rosemary's son years ago but he was just a baby when she went missing. He was looking for information. At least at that time he did not know anything more than what had been posted online and was not in touch with any of her other relatives. I might be able to get in touch with him again if needed but I'm not sure, it's been a long time and emails change pretty often these days.

Interesting. I did have brief contact with Rosemary's son years ago but he was just a baby when she went missing. He was looking for information. At least at that time he did not know anything more than what had been posted online and was not in touch with any of her other relatives. I might be able to get in touch with him again if needed but I'm not sure, it's been a long time and emails change pretty often these days.

If you could that would be great! Also I am sure that LE would probably tell him more that what was told to me. I feel like the cold case detective may have slipped me information he wasn't supposed to by talking about Rosemary "being found" on tribal land. If I'm not mistaken, Indiantown Gap area is tribal land in Pennsylvania. I feel like this will unravel soon; and if the son can verify it, it will be much much sooner.

I am sorry, I haven't been able to put much time into these cases lately. But I wanted to let you know that I just sent an email to her son. I'll let you know if I hear back. The email didn't bounce so I'm hopeful that he sees it.

I haven't gotten any response as of yet but stumbled across this thread pertaining to that Jane Doe and saw that detective had posted. After trying to figure out why that detective's name was so familiar, it finally hit me that I had seen it in your post here. He included contact info that I thought might be useful.

http://peoplelookingforpeople.com/read.php?3,1693

I haven't gotten any response as of yet but stumbled across this thread pertaining to that Jane Doe and saw that detective had posted. After trying to figure out why that detective's name was so familiar, it finally hit me that I had seen it in your post here. He included contact info that I thought might be useful.

http://peoplelookingforpeople.com/read.php?3,1693

Add Rosemary Buck to the ruleouts! Just received a call from Trooper Trate at the Jonestown Barracks of the PSP confirming the ruleout.

Add Rosemary Buck to the ruleouts! Just received a call from Trooper Trate at the Jonestown Barracks of the PSP confirming the ruleout.

Does that mean the other detective was mistaken, or could she still have been identified as a different uid on tribal lands?

Just wanted to add that in the thread I linked to above, he seemed to think the uid was a match for Helen Allison but a family member looked at the photo and said "that's not her" but I don't know if she/he realized it was a recon and not supposed to look identical to the person.

Does that mean the other detective was mistaken, or could she still have been identified as a different uid on tribal lands?

Just wanted to add that in the thread I linked to above, he seemed to think the uid was a match for Helen Allison but a family member looked at the photo and said "that's not her" but I don't know if she/he realized it was a recon and not supposed to look identical to the person.

The UID in question has since been identified.

Possibly Atlantic Highlands Jane Doe? She was discovered in 1988 but is believed to have died approximately 15 years earlier (1972-1975). She was between 15-20, 5'0"-5'4", and may have weighed around 100-120 pounds. Her teeth are described as having significant decay. No mention of a previous pregnancy or having had a child but that isn't always easy to determine. Links for NamUs: https://identifyus.org/cases/1458 and Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/20ufnj.html.

Hello. I am Rosemary's niece. Her son Donald is my cousin, with whom I have been in constant contact with. Unfortunately, he knows far less about his mom's disappearance than I do. I had started my search in 2010, but had to take a break multiple times. I just moved out of New York to Texas and now have the time to get back into it to try to figure out what happened to her.

First, I do not believe for a moment that she would have just taken off and left her son. She was petrified that CPS was going to come in and remove him from her care after an investigation close to when she disappeared. He was her whole world and it does not make any sense. Second, she had a paycheck for $100+ change and in 1973, that was A LOT of money to just leave and not pick up. Third, yes, she was going through a hard time, but that was no reason for her to run.

In all honesty, I truly believe that she intended to go to the bar and have a few drinks and was picked up there. I firmly believe that she is not alive. And I know for a fact that she had every intention on picking up her son later that evening, as she had told her parents.

Now, I am not sure why the Syracuse Police Department would say she was found on the reservation. She was ruled out a few years ago as a possible unidentified woman found there. I am assuming he spoke too soon and had not realized that the body found had been identified as another missing person. Also, the Onondaga County Sheriffs are not in any way affiliated with the Syracuse Police. The initial case for Rosemary was being handled by the Solvay Police Department. When it disbanded, Syracuse PD took over the missing persons. I have a friend who works for the SPD and there is only ONE person who handles these cases. Unfortunately, because of this, her case has been set aside and has not been worked on in years. I have tried multiple times to get an appointment to go in and speak with that investigator and have had no luck all the way up to July 2017 when I moved to Texas. I will be going back just after Christmas to visit family, Rosemary's son included and am hoping to have a scheduled appointment with them so I can get copies of what they have.

I have a HUGE binder of information on Rosemary, as well as 30+ cases that she has been ruled out of. I keep Donnie up on everything that I find and hopefully one day I can locate her so that all of us can get some closure. Until that time, I will continue to scroll through and gather any information I can.

***CRITICAL UPDATE***
​
I now have some new information on my dogged search for answers involving the Rosemary Buck/Jonestown Jane Doe lead. This could definitely be a must read.

As I mentioned before, the SPD Cold Case Unit contacted me last week in regards to the information I submitted. The cold case detective mentioned that Rosemary Buck had be found on Indian Tribal Lands, but did not specify which state. He had followed up that he would call me in a few days when he got answers. He never called me back and I attempted to chat with the CCU, but I was bumped to the Onondaga Co. Sheriffs CCU. When I contacted OCSO CCU, they told me they were not involved in the case.

When I realized I was getting the reacharound, I stopped co-operating with the SPD and moved on to the Penn. State Police Jonestown Barracks. I attempted to contact Trooper Nathan Trate, who is in charge of this investigation. He did not pick up and I left two messages on his machine. He has not returned my phone calls.

On that note, I moved on to the NAMUS staff. I got a phone call from Dr. Richard Scanlon, an Odontologist for NAMUS yesterday but I was not able to pick up due to me driving on the road. He left a message inquiring more info on the Jane Doe and the potential match that I had. I returned his call and only got a message machine and left a message. He has not returned my phone call.

Then this morning I attempted contact with Carol Schweitzer, who is a consultant with NAMUS and also a key person with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). And I made contact....finally.

My conversation with Ms. Schweitzer was perhaps the most refreshing of all the attempts I made. After explaining my headache to her about the runarounds I received, I submitted Rosemary Buck as an official potential match. When Ms. Schweitzer looked it up, it was discovered she was submitted in 2015. But when I asked if there was a followup, she said she could not comment on that.

What does that statement tell me? Something recent has happened and I am assuming at this point that Ms. Buck is perhaps the Jane Doe in question due to the simple fact of the confidentiality surrounding this lead. This was a very similar situation with the Lake City John Doe case I worked on. The missing persons information was still up, as well as the John Doe profile, even though an identity was found a year before the arrest. I am assuming the information is classified due to the fact that this is a murder investigation and that they may be zeroing in on a suspect; so they have to be careful not to potentially tip off the suspect.

I ask that everyone following this keep a close eye on this case within the next few months or within the next year. Something big could happen.

Here is a more recent picture of Rosemary taken just before she went missing. I am trying to have NAMUS include this photo in her case. The photo that has been posted by them, taken from the original Missing Persons report was taken years before. Also, I am not sure why it was not stated in the original Missing Persons report, but she had strawberry blonde in her hair.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rosemary3.jpg
    Rosemary3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 80
Here is a more recent picture of Rosemary taken just before she went missing. I am trying to have NAMUS include this photo in her case. The photo that has been posted by them, taken from the original Missing Persons report was taken years before. Also, I am not sure why it was not stated in the original Missing Persons report, but she had strawberry blonde in her hair.

attachment.php

Wow! This is a much better photo than what they have on file! Thanks for the contribution!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back