August 16, 2010: 33rd Anniversary of Elvis' Death

Dark Knight

Reaction score
August 16 marks the 33rd anniversary of Elvis Presley's death--and time hasn't lessened any interest in the American icon's legacy. Every year, hundreds of thousands of devotees descend on Elvis's Memphis estate Graceland to pay their respects to his life and work. Despite being gone for more than three decades, he still managed to generate around $60 million last year in revenue from royalties and licensing. Heck--he's even got a Facebook account, and it has more than 1 million fans!

Facts about Elvis that you probably don't know:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/st...ana-sandwiches-interesting-facts-about-elvis/

(Also nine months exactly before I was born. Always creeped me out to think that is how my parents consoled themselves.)

I love Elvis - he was a lot better than some people now give him credit for.

Hmmm... Time to put on some tunes, methinks.

(Also nine months exactly before I was born. Always creeped me out to think that is how my parents consoled themselves.)

I love Elvis - he was a lot better than some people now give him credit for.

Hmmm... Time to put on some tunes, methinks.

THAT is how you came to be? :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::crazy:

Big fan !Time to get my records out of the box to play today.Yes I said records.LOL

Big fan !Time to get my records out of the box to play today.Yes I said records.LOL

I remember seeing Blue Hawaii at the Drive In (that was before 8 tracks:dance:)

Elvis' untimely passing is among the major news events in my life that I recall as if they happened just yesterday. I can tell you where I was, with whom, and exactly what I was doing when news about JFK's assassination, the space shuttle disaster, flight 257 airline crash near Detroit, Michael Jackson's sudden death, etc.

When Elvis' death was announced, my family was enroute from Kings Island near Cincinnati, OH to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. We had spent a couple of days at the first theme park and had seen the '50s musical production show that featured a tribute to Elvis. At the time, CP did a similar show that was cancelled due to the King of Rock's passing on the evening of our arrival.

I can remember that evening clearly: my dad was at work and my brother and I were watching tv with my mom, in her room. The news came on, saying Elvis was dead... my mom was DEVASTATED... :(

When I heard about Elvis it was my first year wedding anniversary and I was sitting in front of Cashway with my new month old baby. My husband was in the store picking something up and it came on the radio news that Elvis had died. Right now I'm reading an Elvis book "Are you Lonesome Tonight" by Lucy De Barbin who claims she had a 24 year affair with the King and had a love child with him, the childs name is Desiree. She never told Elvis about her. I don't know if I believe her story but so far it's and interesting read.

I spent yesterday afternoon sitting around the pool with my son and his family. LOL, for his mom's pleasure, as USUAL, he played my favorite, ELVIS! He knows what makes his momma happy. :D

Anyway, I didn't realize that this was the anniversary of Elvis's passing. I do remember what I was doing and where I was at the time I heard on the news, Elvis had died. :(

Ahh, the memories........... I remember seeing King Creo in the movies when I was very young. :) I also went twice to Vegas to see him in person at the, then Las Vegas Hilton. LOL, I learned my lesson from the first time and the second time I went to see his show, we knew who's hand to {grease} to see we got up front seats! Wow! It was definintely worth it!

:)
fran

I spent yesterday afternoon sitting around the pool with my son and his family. LOL, for his mom's pleasure, as USUAL, he played my favorite, ELVIS! He knows what makes his momma happy. :D

Anyway, I didn't realize that this was the anniversary of Elvis's passing. I do remember what I was doing and where I was at the time I heard on the news, Elvis had died. :(

Ahh, the memories........... I remember seeing King Creo in the movies when I was very young. :) I also went twice to Vegas to see him in person at the, then Las Vegas Hilton. LOL, I learned my lesson from the first time and the second time I went to see his show, we knew who's hand to {grease} to see we got up front seats! Wow! It was definintely worth it!

:)
fran

King Creole was an awesome flick. That's the one I point to when people diss Elvis' movie career - this, along with a few others (Jailhouse Rock, Flaming Star, Wild in the Country) show he could have had real talent, if he had been given the chance to develop it instead of being trotted out for 3-week-production movies b/c the Colonial wanted the dough. He certainly had the charisma to be a "real movie star." It's really too bad he never had the chance.

Also a fun fact - King Creole was based on the novel A Stone for Danny Fisher by Harold Robbins, one of my favourite novels. A lesser known film, but it had a lot of quality behind it.

Besides, "Crawfish" is one of the most gonesville songs ever recorded.

[video=youtube;oa7gT2V8WE4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa7gT2V8WE4[/video]

THAT is how you came to be? :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::crazy:

Yep. There was an old Hungarian woman who used to mind me while my folks worked in the mill, and she was a HUGE Elvis fanatic. She was convinced I was the reincarnation, being born 9 months later, to the day. She used to make me sing "Teddy Bear," standing on her coffee table. Good times.

And there's any wonder I am such a class clown now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back