10 Tactics for Overcoming Sugar Addiction

Thank you Dark Knight. Sugar is a huge weakness for me, and I've really tried to decrease my intake. It's very hard! I live by a Krispy Kreme donut shop AND a new cupcake joint just opened up around the corner. I'm in serious trouble. I'm off to read the article! Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the article! I also have a sugar addiction. There are "red light" foods for me. For instance, I can take or leave cake, but if there are cookies around I will munch on them constantly. Many of the tips are common sense type of things that I've done in the past. Keeping sugar out of the house is the biggest help in our family. If there are no sweet treats around, we're like animals, sniffing around for the nearest sugar. It seems like just when I've kicked the sugar habit, some sort of big candy holiday rolls around, like Halloween or Christmas or Easter, so I find sugar back in the house. Do I smell a government conspiracy? (Just kidding.)

There is a conspiracy. It's not a government conspiracy. I won't say who because everyone is smart enough to figure out who is involved. Don't be shocked, it's true - your first thoughts are correct.

It puts more money in both pockets and keeps you coming back...all the while you can't figure it out why you are having problems. It can't be sugar you ate that as a child, your whole life...sugar isn't bad for you. Wrong! it's a drug and it's killing us all. Get rid of sugar from your diet and live a longer and healthier life. You will have that leaner trimmer waistline, too.

You will be amazed once you start weaning yourself off of sugar you will no longer want it. The more you put it in your body the more you want it. It truly is an addiction.

Be patient and take it slow. If you can't rid yourself completely of sugar (of course it's in everything) at least cut back. It's in everything for a reason. Lol

:twocents: This is only my opinion and thoughts.

I am good about keeping almost every sugary thing I like out of the house except for one product. I can not, for the life of me, give up drinking Coca-Cola!! If I'm getting low on it, I panic! I have cut way back. I allow myself only one 8 or 16 oz bottle a day, but still...I'd like to give it up completely. I just can't seem to wean myself off of it! I addicted! Really.

I am good about keeping almost every sugary thing I like out of the house except for one product. I can not, for the life of me, give up drinking Coca-Cola!! If I'm getting low on it, I panic! I have cut way back. I allow myself only one 8 or 16 oz bottle a day, but still...I'd like to give it up completely. I just can't seem to wean myself off of it! I addicted! Really.

I know what you mean. I don't particularly care about Coke itself, but I was constantly drinking diet soda. So I made a deal with my teen daughter that we'd drink just water, no more soda, and she said, "Okay, no coffee either." I about died. I can't give up coffee. I did stop making a second pot in the afternoon, though, and I've almost given up soda. If I do drink soda, I won't drink more than one can a day. Usually I don't drink any, though. It wasn't as hard as I thought.

Thank you Dark Knight. Sugar is a huge weakness for me, and I've really tried to decrease my intake. It's very hard! I live by a Krispy Kreme donut shop AND a new cupcake joint just opened up around the corner. I'm in serious trouble. I'm off to read the article! Thanks for posting!

I'm not a sugar person, I prefer salty things. I rarely choose to eat sweets, but I can eat a whole bag of chips in one sitting :blushing:

But, almost every time I drive past Krispy Kreme, my car has a mind of it's own and just goes right to the drive-thru:) Unfortunately, sometimes I eat the whole dozen glazed on my way home LOL

Gypsy -- do you live by the KK on Cervantes? Where's the new cupcake place? :angel:

Hello, sugar addicts! I'm a carb addict which, in reality, makes me a sugar addict. Following the diabetic diet during pregnancy has made a WORLD of difference in my life.

I can have between 150 and 180 grams of carbs a day... It was tough in the beginning but we got used to it rather quickly. Substitutes were relatively simple to find. It was just a matter of spending time reading the labels.

My coffee gets a splenda and no milk. My sodas are 0 cal diets. I still eat a half cup of ice cream at night. I measure out portion sizes and avoid those foods that make me feel like poop when I eat them. A slice of pizza and a regular soda make me sleepy for hours now...

It's been 6 weeks since I had my baby and I'm still following the diet. It's done wonders for my energy levels and caused quite a difference in my weight. Within a week of having the baby, I had lost all of my pregnancy weight and an additional 5 pounds! I truly believe that there is a sugar conspiracy...

-------------------
God help you my dear.

A chocoholic:bananapowerslide:

There is a conspiracy. It's not a government conspiracy. I won't say who because everyone is smart enough to figure out who is involved. Don't be shocked, it's true - your first thoughts are correct.

It puts more money in both pockets and keeps you coming back...all the while you can't figure it out why you are having problems. It can't be sugar you ate that as a child, your whole life...sugar isn't bad for you. Wrong! it's a drug and it's killing us all. Get rid of sugar from your diet and live a longer and healthier life. You will have that leaner trimmer waistline, too.

You will be amazed once you start weaning yourself off of sugar you will no longer want it. The more you put it in your body the more you want it. It truly is an addiction.

Be patient and take it slow. If you can't rid yourself completely of sugar (of course it's in everything) at least cut back. It's in everything for a reason. Lol

:twocents: This is only my opinion and thoughts.

------------------------------
Hi! I'm doing my part,bought a box of sugar free fudgcicles last night!!

P.S (I'm reading from the bottom up) the diabetic diet is fantastic and not hard to follow.My husband was on it for years.

I'm bumping this because I've been reading a lot about sugar addiction the past few days. I heard of a book called Little Sugar Addicts and I bought it in hopes of helping my daughter. She has temper issues and throws tantrums a LOT (she is eight years old). I'm hoping this book will help us.

Before this, I had never even heard of sugar addiction. Well, maybe I did but I just didn't pay attention. Has anyone else cut out sugar or at least cut back? It doesn't seem possible because there is sugar in practically everything. The whole thing sounds daunting to me and I don't know if we'll be able to do it. But I'll do anything to help my daughter - and maybe it will help with my depression (which seems to have been in "remission", if you can call it that, for almost a year now).

sugar, fats, HFCS and other derivatives of genetically modified corn, Soy by products and other derivatives of genetically modified soy.

Make sure to read each and ever label of any processed food you purchase (even condiments) and start tracking. I will scare the jebus out of you---it did me.

Everything in moderation. :D

:dance:

And I mean EVERYTHING! ;)

I'm bumping this because I've been reading a lot about sugar addiction the past few days. I heard of a book called Little Sugar Addicts and I bought it in hopes of helping my daughter. She has temper issues and throws tantrums a LOT (she is eight years old). I'm hoping this book will help us.

Before this, I had never even heard of sugar addiction. Well, maybe I did but I just didn't pay attention. Has anyone else cut out sugar or at least cut back? It doesn't seem possible because there is sugar in practically everything. The whole thing sounds daunting to me and I don't know if we'll be able to do it. But I'll do anything to help my daughter - and maybe it will help with my depression (which seems to have been in "remission", if you can call it that, for almost a year now).

I drastically reduced my sugar intake to try and tame the mood swings during menopause. It helped with that, and with weight control, so I continue to avoid it as much as possible. I can go for months without a 'sweet treat', but if I indulge in ONE cookie or bowl of sweetened cereal, I start craving sweets with every meal. No doubt in my mind that it's an addictive substance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back