GUILTY MT - Erin Thompson, 35, & Caden Odell, 13, murdered, Kalispell, 19 March 2009

yeah, I'd say the public will be outraged

I would normally want this girl to be charged as a juvenile & have the charges reduced but for her to sue the victims' estate is just outrageous

her parents should be ashamed

The usual 'it's somebody elses fault' defense. How dare they file suit against the family of the victims! Instead of taking responsibility for her actions, her family is helping her to put the blame anywhere else. She did it. She did it on purpose. She needs to suck it up and face the consequences for the horrible thing she did. I am so disgusted I could spit.

Quote from article: The lawsuit claims Winter suffered permanent injuries in the crash and a "loss of capacity to enjoy life." She is also claiming future loss of income as well as past, present and future medical expenses.

WHO lost the capacity to enjoy life?????!!!!!

Not a whole lot surprises me anymore, but this makes me REALLY angry.

I really hope the husband who lost his family counter-sues her and her family for his losses. I cannot begin to imagine, losing his wife and 2 children. IMHO his loss far outweighs her "loss of enjoyment of life", because lil miss impulsive CHOSE to put others at risk because her boyfriend broke up with her and she made a stupid decision with tragic consequences. Hope she enjoys as much jail as the law allows.

This just disgusts me. WTH is wrong with her parents allowing this to go forward? And WTF is wrong with the lawyer who actually had the nerve to file this suit? I need to step away from the computer before I say something that will earn me a time-out.

It's bad enough that the article states that it "may be" the start of her defense or an attempt to contaminate the jury pool, but what makes it absolutely intolerable and disgusting is that she's BLAMING the victim!

I hope when she does meet God she pays for her ALL her sins...

The fact that her parents are supporting this move just shows you exactly why she is a selfish, self-centered spoiled little brat.

just sickening. The whole situation. From start to finish. And it's HER fault. Yet here we are, kicking folks while they're understandably down. how dare she? they? even the lawyer?? Why is this not a frivolous lawsuit?

I hope the judge who sentences her for murder takes this little stunt into consideration during the penalty phase. Hard to show how remorseful you are when you act like a self-centered, malicious little brat!

OK! Now I've seen everything! Just how low will defense lawyers go to try to win a case? Can't get much lower than this. The girl, her parents, and her lawyer should all be ashamed. This is sub human behaviour. :puke::puke::puke:

Prosecutors say the March 2009 crash was a calculated suicide attempt that occurred less than an hour after she broke up with her boyfriend and left his house. Their evidence, in part, rests with a series of ominous text messages Winter sent to her boyfriend minutes before the crash.

"If I won, I would have you," one text message read. "And I wouldn't crash my car."

And another, "That's why I'm going to wreck my car. Because all I can do is *advertiser censored** up. Because I am a terrible person and I know it."

And also, "Good bye ... my last words."

Winter, backed by her father Randy Winter because of her status as a minor, accuses Thompson of causing the accident through "negligent driving." The three companies -- Knife River Corporation, Western Traffic Control, Inc., and Mountain West Holding Company -- are accused of failing to properly maintain the highway, which was under construction at the time.

This will be thrown out of court...this holds no water since it was Winter who in the act of trying to commit suicide, was the negligent one, not Thompson family, not the county for their construction on the road...The audacity of blaming the victim for what this teen caused is outrageous! Why isn't her father teaching her that she is responsible for her own behavior. That she was the negligent driver for she was trying to kill herself. Only she lived and three innocent victims died, as usual...OUTRAGEOUS! JMHO

Justice for the Thompson family

This really wasn't necessary. If this 16 year old had thrown herself on the mercy of the court, claimed she was distraught, not thinking clearly, never even imagined these results, and was so so sorry,this would be over already.

I think the courts would have taken into account her age and the circumstances and would have been sympathetic to a young girl who, without being old enough or wise to handle/forsee the results, caused so much misery.

This defense lawyer is not doing this girl any favours with this stunt. It is just making a horrible situation that much worse.

Hasn't she done enough to this family? This lawsuit should never have been allowed to be filed. Unreal.

This really wasn't necessary. If this 16 year old had thrown herself on the mercy of the court, claimed she was distraught, not thinking clearly, never even imagined these results, and was so so sorry,this would be over already.

I think the courts would have taken into account her age and the circumstances and would have been sympathetic to a young girl who, without being old enough or wise to handle/forsee the results, caused so much misery.

This defense lawyer is not doing this girl any favours with this stunt. It is just making a horrible situation that much worse.

She could have gone to a cozy mental hospital ward for a while.

Now she does this. Sickening, disgusting and insane.
Hey maybe she'll still get the psych ward?:snooty: And her parents thinking this is a good idea. oy.
imo

This is the kind of thing that makes one feel the need for a shower.
bbl. yuck
I sure hope there is a counter suit. The parents should have known their little princess was a a tad bit emotional. IMO.

From February 2011:

http://ravallirepublic.com/article_0267d9c5-3d4c-59c1-8c70-8e7d4272a48a.html

One day after a jury convicted 17-year-old Justine Winter of deliberate homicide for causing a car crash that killed a woman and her teenage son, the girl's attorney asked the court to drop a lawsuit seeking damages from the dead woman's estate.

From November 2015:

http://ravallirepublic.com/article_485b9d6e-6e22-51e7-bc78-0882cd7387ee.html

A Kalispell woman whose own failed suicide attempt instead killed two people she didn’t know, a pregnant woman and her 13-year-old son, has been granted parole just over four years into a 15-year sentence for deliberate homicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back