1232 users online (265 members and 967 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Lucerne Valley, Male Skeletal UP6788, 18-80, in desert, Mar'10

Bob Harrods NamUs info:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases...port_html/2706

compared to NamUs case #6788

https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/6788

There isn't much on the partial remains.
    Bob went missing from Placentia CA July 27, 2009.
    The last person to see Mr. Harrod alive was his SIL who is a resident of San Bernadino Cty. Mapping the location where Mr. Harrod went missing to the location the remains were found one must travel through the city the SIL resides.

We still need to get Mr Harrods DNA into codis and are working on that.

Adding here in addition to Mr. Harrods thread so if anyone notices the pm they know it is submitted.

ETA:
    Link to Bob Harrods missing persons thread:
    Missing/Located Forum Discussion - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

This is still in the works. No answer either way yet.

DNA is entered for Mr Harrod, however IIRC dna for Mr. Harrod is nuclear dna and the UID has only mitochondrial dna..... thus other avenues must be pursued for an official rule in or rule out.

maybe CarlK can chime in, but I don't think nuclear and mitochondrial dna can be compared against each other. Carl?

tia

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    maybe CarlK can chime in, but I don't think nuclear and mitochondrial dna can be compared against each other. Carl?

tia
    You are right, or at least that's the way I understand it. Nuclear DNA is entirely different from mitochondrial DNA, and you cannot compare the two against each other.

The mitochondrion is a sub-microscopic organism that lives within a cell-wall, but outside of the cell's nucleus. It is not an inherent part of the person in whose cells it resides, and therefore, it has an entirely different DNA sequence from the DNA within the nucleus.

Since sperm cells do not contain mitochondrial DNA and egg cells do, Mitochondrial DNA passes unchanged from mother to child, and it remains unchanged as the cells divide to form a human being.

If there is a mtDNA match between two individuals, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have the same mother, or even the same maternal grandmother. It only means that the ancestral chain that connects the two persons to each other consists entirely of female ancestors.

This connection may go five generations up your family tree and six generations down another branch (i.e., fifth cousins, six times removed), and if each link in that chain consists of female ancestors, the two persons will have identical mtDNA.

Wow Carl, thank you for the information. Don't want to get off topic, but DNA is so confusing! Makes me wonder if some of the DNA entered for many UID is of one type, and DNA for missing is of another kind and therefore not able to be matched. Does that happen often?

Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    Wow Carl, thank you for the information. Don't want to get off topic, but DNA is so confusing! Makes me wonder if some of the DNA entered for many UID is of one type, and DNA for missing is of another kind and therefore not able to be matched. Does that happen often?
    Good question Jules!

Carl, This is a good question for a new sticky thread. Obstruction matching missing and unidentified due to dental and Dna mis-matches?

Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    To avoid going off-topic, I'll address this question on the newly created sticky thread.

Possible Match Obstructions to matching the missing and UID -Q&A's/FAQ's only please! - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    This is still in the works. No answer either way yet.

DNA is entered for Mr Harrod, however IIRC dna for Mr. Harrod is nuclear dna and the UID has only mitochondrial dna..... thus other avenues must be pursued for an official rule in or rule out.

tia
    It may have changed, now the Namus page for the bones says they've got nuclear DNA, not mitochondrial.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    It may have changed, now the Namus page for the bones says they've got nuclear DNA, not mitochondrial.

Thank you. Interesting there is no list of rule outs for this UID. I was wondering why Bob Harrod is not on the rule out list...
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.