Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 2623DFOR

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2623dfor.html

Vicki Lynn Hollar
Missing since August 20, 1973 from Eugene, Lane County, Oregon
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: March 8, 1949
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 115 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
•Clothing: Pink dress
•Dentals/Fingerprints/DNA: Not available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Vicki Lynn Hollar was last seen on August 20, 1973 entering her car, a black 1965 Volkswagen Beetle with Illinois license plate GR 7738, with the running boards removed, at a parking lot at 8th Avenue and Washington Street at about 17.00.
She was leaving work at the Bon Marché (now Macy's) where she had been employed as a seamstress for about two weeks.
She was possibly heading home to her apartment that she shared with five other people on the 600 block of West 27th Avenue in Eugene because she planned to meet up with a friend that night to attend a party in the neighborhood.
She had a habit of picking up hitchhikers and had moved to Eugene from Illinois the previous June, after graduating from college there.
Her car and purse have never been recovered.
She has been considered a possible victim of serial killer Ted Bundy.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Eugene Police Department
Detective Dan Braziel
Email
541-682-5111

Agency Case Number: 73-12992

Source Information:
Eugene Register-Guard
Eugene Police Department

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hollar_vicki.html

I don't find Vicki listed in NamUs at this time.

I don't any archived articles specific to Vicki's details.

Vicki has been missing 37 years today. Come home soon.

Attachments

• VLHollar.jpg
    VLHollar.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 85
  • VLHollar1.jpg
    VLHollar1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 86
Did Bundy ever own a black Beetle? I believe he had a sort of beige-colored one during most of his killing years and didn't he later steal an orange one that he was eventually arrested in? It looks like police could somehow have gotten a record of every vehicle that was ever registered to him.

I don't know dogperson. What gets me is that the black beetle was her car.

Her car has never been found.

There could be a few reasons for that but my first assumption is that the car is located where it can't be seen. My first instinct is a body of water. I don't know if there are any near Eugene. I'd have to look.

But it's very unusual for a person and their car to go missing never to be seen again. JMHO. I'm not certain there is a connection with Bundy, I suppose they thought so because she has long dark hair and he might have been "working" in that area at the same time? JMHO.

ETA: There is Fern Ridge Lake, about 27 minutes from the intersection she was last seen. Pretty straight driving directions too.

I too think she might be in a body of water or down a ravine where the car has gone unnoticed for all this time. I misread this the first time & thought she got into a black Beetle with someone. Bundy did like Beetles so I suppose he might have abducted a victim & her car both but he didn't normally do so. I think a lot of folks who are missing with vehicles were really just involved in one-vehicle accidents & have never been found.

There are a LOT of bodies of water around Eugene. There's the Willamette and McKenzie rivers and Fern Ridge, as you've mentioned. However, Fern Ridge has been emptied out at least one time that I know of in the ten years I've lived around here.

There's also a lot of lakes nearby and it doesn't take long to get to the ocean either.

The Willamette River is quite large. There are many areas where a car could have gone in unnoticed, IMO.

I've wondered ever since I saw her name in Ann Rule's book "The Stranger Beside Me" if Vicki was a relative of mine. We share the same surname (and it's not particularly common). I live in Canada but we do have relations in the United States, including Oregon. Unfortunately, talking with family members hasn't been able to confirm or deny it.

Bundy? It's possible that he started killing earlier, and she does seem to fit his victim profile. I remember reading about his execution in the paper when I was about 10 years old.

So sad that there has never been any kind of closure.

What would bundy have done with her car tho? Wasn't his style to be the one picking up hitch hikers.

Bundy stated that he had killed two females in Oregon, but didn't elaborate on who the women were or when they were killed. He may have been referring to Rita Lorraine Jolly and Vicki Lynn Hollar, or he might have been referring to different people he killed. Perhaps he didn't kill anyone in Oregon and just lied about killing someone there.

We may never know.

THe problem with Bundy is that he kept many confessions to himself in exchange of benefits such as stays of execution. I think he killed many more than the 30+ that he confessed. Vicki Lynn Hollar could have been one of them. She is a similar type of victim, she drives a car that Bundy can easily drive. And the bodies of water perhaps is an easy place to get rid of the corpse and the car. The only problem is that he could not visit again the dead body as he did with many of his victims.

I was thinking about this Jane Doe:
https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/7765
Her body was found in Oregon in July 1976. The report says that the probable year of death is 1966 to 1976. The body was completely skeletonized. The place where it was found is: Oregon State Highway 20 near Swamp Mountain Road, Sweet home, Linn County, Oregon.
The skeleton had a previous fracture of right nasal bone, healed at time of death (perhaps a good thing to check with Vicki) .
In the Rule Out list there is no mention to Vicki, so maybe they don´t have tested.

'Eugene Disappearance Stays on the Books' - Statesmen Journal (Salem, Oregon), Jan 25 1989
vickihollar.jpg

'Official Didn't Ask Bundy About Oregon Deaths' - Statesmen Journal (Salem, Oregon), Jan 27 1989
Statesman_Journal_Fri__Jan_27__1989_.jpg

So they didn´t ask him about Vicki Hollar and other possible victims. What a pity. Maybe he would have confessed them.

Unfortunately they just didn't have enought time. :(

What bothers me about this case is the black car, if for some reason she left the car, as it should have turned up. The fact it hasn't makes me lean towards towards an accident being more likely.

Does Vicki have identifiers Available? According to the doe network she doesn’t have DNA, Fingerprints, or dentals.

Saw a random online story about the Hollar case today and was curious about it since it happened in my home town and I had never heard of it before . scrolling thru google newspaper articles from the days surrounding her disappearance, I didn’t see anything about it however on 8/23/73 there was an article about a 22 year old woman (Gayle LeClair) that was stabbed to death 2 days after Vicki’s disappearance. Both of these locations are relatively close, on the same side of our city. Just wondered if anyone had read anything about them possibly being connected. The LeClair murder was never solved as far as I know.

Vicki was my grandmother's goddaughter. My grandma tells a story of how when Vicki was coming from Illinois on her way to Oregon, she stopped in Denver to see her. My grandma told her that she should stay in Denver with her, because it was a nice place to live. Vicki said no, and that she had a job lined up for her in Oregon that she was excited to start (I'm assuming it was the seamstress job, which actually runs in my Gma's family). That was the last time my grandma heard from her.

If anyone has any information regarding her disappearance, or has thoughts or maybe even helpful resources, my sisters and I are investigating this ourselves. My grandma is getting very old and we'd love to be able to offer any closure. Some members of my family don't believe it was Bundy who killed her, and I'd love to find out who did.

Hi Fal,

Vicki stood up in my parents wedding just prior to leaving Illinois. She was good friends with my parents in college at SIU and at one point slept on their couch as college kids do when they are in between living situations. They had a tight knit group of friends and my dad told me stories of them all taking her beetle off roading down in Carbondale. One day off roading they accidentally knocked off one of the running boards on one side. When they got back to even it out, my dad and friends helped take off the other one which has always been a unique detail in her vehicle that remains missing. I wish I could provide you more information than that. My parents too have always wanted to know what happened to Vicki as they are now both close to their 70’s. I hope one day more information comes to light for you and her family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back