1318 users online (263 members and 1055 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

OR - Vicki Lynn Hollar, 24, Eugene, 20 Aug 1973

The Doe Network:
    Case File 2623DFOR

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2623dfor.html

Vicki Lynn Hollar
    Missing since August 20, 1973 from Eugene, Lane County, Oregon
    Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
    •Date Of Birth: March 8, 1949
    •Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
    •Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 115 lbs.
    •Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    •Clothing: Pink dress
    •Dentals/Fingerprints/DNA: Not available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Vicki Lynn Hollar was last seen on August 20, 1973 entering her car, a black 1965 Volkswagen Beetle with Illinois license plate GR 7738, with the running boards removed, at a parking lot at 8th Avenue and Washington Street at about 17.00.
    She was leaving work at the Bon Marché (now Macy's) where she had been employed as a seamstress for about two weeks.
    She was possibly heading home to her apartment that she shared with five other people on the 600 block of West 27th Avenue in Eugene because she planned to meet up with a friend that night to attend a party in the neighborhood.
    She had a habit of picking up hitchhikers and had moved to Eugene from Illinois the previous June, after graduating from college there.
    Her car and purse have never been recovered.
    She has been considered a possible victim of serial killer Ted Bundy.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Eugene Police Department
    Detective Dan Braziel
    Email
    541-682-5111

Agency Case Number: 73-12992

Source Information:
    Eugene Register-Guard
    Eugene Police Department

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hollar_vicki.html

I don't find Vicki listed in NamUs at this time.

I don't any archived articles specific to Vicki's details.

Vicki has been missing 37 years today. Come home soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did Bundy ever own a black Beetle? I believe he had a sort of beige-colored one during most of his killing years and didn't he later steal an orange one that he was eventually arrested in? It looks like police could somehow have gotten a record of every vehicle that was ever registered to him.

I don't know dogperson. What gets me is that the black beetle was her car.

Her car has never been found.

There could be a few reasons for that but my first assumption is that the car is located where it can't be seen. My first instinct is a body of water. I don't know if there are any near Eugene. I'd have to look.

But it's very unusual for a person and their car to go missing never to be seen again. JMHO. I'm not certain there is a connection with Bundy, I suppose they thought so because she has long dark hair and he might have been "working" in that area at the same time? JMHO.

ETA: There is Fern Ridge Lake, about 27 minutes from the intersection she was last seen. Pretty straight driving directions too.

I too think she might be in a body of water or down a ravine where the car has gone unnoticed for all this time. I misread this the first time & thought she got into a black Beetle with someone. Bundy did like Beetles so I suppose he might have abducted a victim & her car both but he didn't normally do so. I think a lot of folks who are missing with vehicles were really just involved in one-vehicle accidents & have never been found.

There are a LOT of bodies of water around Eugene. There's the Willamette and McKenzie rivers and Fern Ridge, as you've mentioned. However, Fern Ridge has been emptied out at least one time that I know of in the ten years I've lived around here.

There's also a lot of lakes nearby and it doesn't take long to get to the ocean either.

The Willamette River is quite large. There are many areas where a car could have gone in unnoticed, IMO.

I've wondered ever since I saw her name in Ann Rule's book "The Stranger Beside Me" if Vicki was a relative of mine. We share the same surname (and it's not particularly common). I live in Canada but we do have relations in the United States, including Oregon. Unfortunately, talking with family members hasn't been able to confirm or deny it.

Bundy? It's possible that he started killing earlier, and she does seem to fit his victim profile. I remember reading about his execution in the paper when I was about 10 years old.

So sad that there has never been any kind of closure.

In memory of James Mazzara
    1958 - 1978

What would bundy have done with her car tho? Wasn't his style to be the one picking up hitch hikers.