GA - Children Found Living in Filth

dee10134

I'm BAAAAACK!
Reaction score
I didn't see this posted anywhere. This is an absolute DISGRACE! :furious:

"Cobb Children Found Living In Filth

MARIETTA, Ga. -- A Cobb County couple was arrested after police said they found that the couple’s two children were living in filth and were suffering from medical issues, including rotting teeth, obesity and bug bites."

More at link: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24686008/detail.html

What would cause this to happen? Meth? How could someone allow this to happen to their children and their house?

I can't fathom a 5 year old weighing 158 pounds or a 4 year old weighing 89 pounds.

Mr. E - I don't even weigh 150 lbs and I am a grown woman! It HAS to be drugs that causes neglect like this. That or the parents only had the children to get on welfare. Who knows. I will pray for these girls that they will get the treatment they need and can try to live a normal life after what their animal parents have done to them.

Really what kind of medical issues are going on to cause such large weight gains in these kids.
Most of these issues clean up real quick but this massive weight gain is really over the top.

poor lil girls. how horrible. thank god something was done before it got any worse. I hate to feel so relieved that it wasnt any worse when this is bad enough...

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/cops-marietta-girls-rescued-595523.html

James Cardona's sister said the girls should have been taken away years ago. They lived in "filth ... there was stuff all over the floor, dirty dishes all around," said Frances Elizabeth Cantrell, who resides in Dallas.
and
Cantrell last saw her brother five years ago, soon after his eldest daughter was born.
"I tried to tell them you need to clean up this place," Cantrell told the AJC. "They said they couldn’t help themselves."

Well, then maybe she should have made some phone calls or done something herself...I hate it when the family stands up and says it should have been done awhile ago. They could have made it happen a long time ago...so shouldn't they be charged as well?

From the same article:
They live across from a pest control business and dentist office, apparently were also taking care of her mother, who is wheelchair bound, and neighbors heard screaming from the house, children screaming...not a thing was done to try to find out why.

Luckily the state says it will be very hard for them to ever regain custody. Thank God for small favors.

Really what kind of medical issues are going on to cause such large weight gains in these kids.
Most of these issues clean up real quick but this massive weight gain is really over the top.

BB, a diet of Potato Chips, Cheeto's, sugary cereal, soda, Homie Chips, cookies, and anything else that is cheap and calorie laden. Couple that with never, ever even getting out of the house for a walk and there's an extra 50 pounds easy. The poor child couldn't even walk ten feet for Lord's sake.

Roach's.:eek: Known to cause breathing problems. They did a study on that. You got filthy cockaroach's those kids will have asthma. I couldn't even begin to stomach the lice. Lice big enough to freakin see standing over the kid. Dear Lord.

Plus the poor grandmom. Imagine that poor lady. Bed sores and kids around with lice and filth and it's just all too unbelievable.

Maybe drugs are not involved at all and you just have two highly dysfunctional people that shouldn't be caring for the elderly or raising kids until they had help.

O/T My brother was just telling me a few weeks ago how much he loved Marietta and he could live there forever. This after a week visit. I have to show him this. Naw, I know dysfunction is everywhere.

BB, a diet of Potato Chips, Cheeto's, sugary cereal, soda, Homie Chips, cookies, and anything else that is cheap and calorie laden. Couple that with never, ever even getting out of the house for a walk and there's an extra 50 pounds easy. The poor child couldn't even walk ten feet for Lord's sake.

Roach's.:eek: Known to cause breathing problems. They did a study on that. You got filthy cockaroach's those kids will have asthma. I couldn't even begin to stomach the lice. Lice big enough to freakin see standing over the kid. Dear Lord.

Plus the poor grandmom. Imagine that poor lady. Bed sores and kids around with lice and filth and it's just all too unbelievable.

Maybe drugs are not involved at all and you just have two highly dysfunctional people that shouldn't be caring for the elderly or raising kids until they had help.

O/T My brother was just telling me a few weeks ago how much he loved Marietta and he could live there forever. This after a week visit. I have to show him this. Naw, I know dysfunction is everywhere.

I'm wondering if they can also slap some charges on them for neglect- abuse of the grandmother. Poor lady, she was helpless too. Maybe elder and handicap abuse.

geezuz, the four year old was still in a diaper & bottle-fed

disgusting

they are gonna think they're in heaven once they see how normal people live

I hope the mother can get proper care from the state now - maybe home visits by nurses or something?

geezuz, the four year old was still in a diaper & bottle-fed

disgusting

they are gonna think they're in heaven once they see how normal people live

I wonder if they will be frightened by being bathed, hair washed, brushed, clean clothes, PJ's and sleeping in a clean bed with clean sheets.

Now that I just typed that out and read it, I'm even madder!:furious: Those things are basic needs. Those poor, poor children. :(

Frankly, the children are probably quite traumatized right now at being removed from their home. They don't know anything else. How very sad. I hope their lives will now be filled with sunshine and happy times.

There has been an ad for the show "Hoarders" on TLC being advertised this week which shows a house so full of stuff you can't walk in it. It also shows two or three little girls that are trying to maneuver around. Even still, while that house is impossible to walk in, it doesn't look filthy.

My thought is both these parents suffer from some form of mental illness. Just speculation on my part, but it seems whenever I have run across stuff like this in real life, it is because the person is not functioning properly - either from depression, ignorance or a combination of both.

Those poor little girls. I imagine they are still at the hospital it this just happened yesterday. I wonder if any of the extended family went to be with them? Doesn't sound like the extended family is real close to this family :(

Losing all that weight will not be easy but I hope that once introduced to physical activity, the girls will find it fun and most of the weight will melt off from playing and eating healthy.

Uggggggh! And I hope the grandma gets some real care!

Why was NO ONE checking on these people? If grandma was bed bound, and it appears she was because of the sores, didn't she ever go to the doctor? Didn't the doctor ever notice anything??????

Salem

unbelieveable. i saw this on cnn.com...I dont weigh even 140=actually much less...i too cant even fathom the 4 year olds weight let alone the 5 year old. no way parents on meth, they are too "well nourished" looking. just unbelievable.

This is just too much. I can't believe meth is involved (as far as the mother,anyway), she is too healthy looking. Come to think of it, so is the dad. This one just baffles me. I saw a little on CNN last night and when the reporter asked the mother if the children were being jeopordized (not the word he used, but close enough), she said "not here". WTH??????? I'm thinking this is how the mother was probably raised and she sees nothing wrong with it. Yuck.
Filly, your brother is right. Marietta is a beautiful city, but this is a side of it that I had never seen till yesterday. I guess it can happen anywhere.
I do not understand the neighbors though. Those interviewed said you could smell the stench just by walking by the house! Why didn't they call someone?
Will get off my rant now.

I tried to post this yesterday, but I think I'm too new to start new threads. It amazes me that they were able to get away with this for so long. I heard on HLN last night that they could literally see lice crawling in one of the daughter's hair without even trying to check her for them. It is my hope that these kids can turn out to live somewhat normal lives as children have proven so many times before that they can be so resilient. I don't know about whether or not there were drug, mental illness, or any other problems with the parents. My guess is they suffer from a major chronic probably incurable case of sloth. I wonder if there are other personality issues or perhaps other mental quirks, but my guess is it is the big 4-letter word of LAZY that has caused most of this. It starts small and becomes like a snowball to where there is just no foreseeable way out.

I just cannot imagine ever reaching the point where you are so oblivious or so unconcerned about your children that you would allow them to live with gigantic spiders on top of urine and with the obvious smell of mold/mildew upon entering the house. Just the thought of lice so prolific that you can watch them crawl along in a child's head is so profoundly sad that I don't have any words for how I feel for those children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back