1072 users online (238 members and 834 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,372

    Lesbian Couple's Daughter Denied Admittance to School

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/21...est=latestnews

    A lesbian couple, married in Canada in 2006, has been denied the opportunity for their daughter to attend a private school.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Posts
    1,108
    All the BS against gay people is srsly starting to get to me. Can't people just live and let live ffs?!?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,673
    Part of me is outraged and part of me thinks it wasn't a good idea to begin with. How confusing would it be for the child to be taught homosexuals and lesbians are going to hell? I assume that is what they teach. I wouldn't want my kid exposed to that sort of closed-minded bigoted teaching.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Carolina's
    Posts
    6,837
    I don't agree with the schools decision, but I just want to say that this is NOT the only school like that out there. In fact, in private schools with religious denominations, this is quite common. It's the same reason an atheist family would be denied admittance...the school doesn't believe in or agree with the childs home life because it goes against their religious teachings.

    Not saying it's right, just saying that almost any religiously based private school would've done a similar thing.

  5. #5
    justbeachy's Avatar
    justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,555
    It's a private school and because of that they are entitled to deny admission to anyone they choose. I was outraged when I saw the title of this thread until I saw that it was a private school. My kids are in a private school and there are certain requirements and expectations that have to be met in order to attend the school. People are turned away regularly for not meeting them.

    Why on earth would these parents want their daughter being taught in this school anyway? I'm sure that part of the curriculum is religious and it appears that their beliefs are anti-homosexual (I'm not familiar with Episcopal teachings, so this is just an assumption on my part) so why would they want that in the first place for their child?

    It's almost like they knew they would be denied and wanted to make a political issue out of it. Surely this outcome couldn't have been a complete surprise to them! They have friends that recommended the school, right? Those friends must have told them about the school, the teachings and the beliefs...at least I would think so! When I was considering my kids' private school I got a lot of information before I applied. I knew exactly what to expect.

  6. #6
    OneLostGrl's Avatar
    OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Posts
    14,315
    Such a great world we live in, huh
    wtf is wrong with people?!

  7. #7
    Gracenote's Avatar
    Gracenote is offline We know that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,563
    Actually the Episcopal church has ordained gay bishops and tends to be more inclusive than some organized religions.

    I didn't read the article because I'm on dial up tonight; I just read the posts.

    Edit: I did read the article, and, I disagree with the school but agree they have the legal right to do it. (I think anyway) The thing is, all of my gay friends are Christians and maybe this couple are, too. Or if the school is concerned for their souls, wouldn't they want to take the opportunity to ...oh heck nevermind. I am surprised it is so blatant is all.
    Last edited by Gracenote; 08-21-2010 at 10:39 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,181
    Quote Originally Posted by KaylynnCouture View Post
    I don't agree with the schools decision, but I just want to say that this is NOT the only school like that out there. In fact, in private schools with religious denominations, this is quite common. It's the same reason an atheist family would be denied admittance...the school doesn't believe in or agree with the childs home life because it goes against their religious teachings.

    Not saying it's right, just saying that almost any religiously based private school would've done a similar thing.
    My children come from an atheist family, and religious schools were falling all over themselves to let them in. I think they felt someone needed to save these kids. I'm pretty sure if my husband had been a woman, it would not have gone that way.

  9. #9
    Gracenote's Avatar
    Gracenote is offline We know that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,563
    Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    My children come from an atheist family, and religious schools were falling all over themselves to let them in. I think they felt someone needed to save these kids. I'm pretty sure if my husband had been a woman, it would not have gone that way.
    Yes, that is what I was trying to say above but I couldn't get it out LOL


    Adji, you are not forgotten and you are loved.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracenote View Post
    Actually the Episcopal church has ordained gay bishops and tends to be more inclusive than some organized religions.

    I didn't read the article because I'm on dial up tonight; I just read the posts.

    Edit: I did read the article, and, I disagree with the school but agree they have the legal right to do it. (I think anyway) The thing is, all of my gay friends are Christians and maybe this couple are, too. Or if the school is concerned for their souls, wouldn't they want to take the opportunity to ...oh heck nevermind. I am surprised it is so blatant is all.
    BBM. I forgot about that. I wonder, then, if there is some other reason they were rejected?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by justbeachy View Post
    It's a private school and because of that they are entitled to deny admission to anyone they choose. I was outraged when I saw the title of this thread until I saw that it was a private school. My kids are in a private school and there are certain requirements and expectations that have to be met in order to attend the school. People are turned away regularly for not meeting them.

    Why on earth would these parents want their daughter being taught in this school anyway? I'm sure that part of the curriculum is religious and it appears that their beliefs are anti-homosexual (I'm not familiar with Episcopal teachings, so this is just an assumption on my part) so why would they want that in the first place for their child?

    It's almost like they knew they would be denied and wanted to make a political issue out of it. Surely this outcome couldn't have been a complete surprise to them! They have friends that recommended the school, right? Those friends must have told them about the school, the teachings and the beliefs...at least I would think so! When I was considering my kids' private school I got a lot of information before I applied. I knew exactly what to expect.
    (Emphasis added.)

    No, the real question is why anyone would send their children to a school that excludes those who come from homes with differing beliefs. That ain't education, that's indoctrination.

    I'm openly gay, yet was asked to apply to teach at a very conservative Christian college (Pepperdine in Malibu). The first (and really only) question they asked me was whether I would object to and discourage Christian points of view being expressed in the classroom.

    I said, "Absolutely not. Academic freedom applies to Christians, too. But I will expect them to be able to distinguish between their Christian views and the views of the playwrights we will be reading, some of whom will not be Christians." I was hired and had a great experience with the students there, many of them devout Christians.

    That is what education should be.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracenote View Post
    Actually the Episcopal church has ordained gay bishops and tends to be more inclusive than some organized religions.

    I didn't read the article because I'm on dial up tonight; I just read the posts.

    Edit: I did read the article, and, I disagree with the school but agree they have the legal right to do it. (I think anyway) The thing is, all of my gay friends are Christians and maybe this couple are, too. Or if the school is concerned for their souls, wouldn't they want to take the opportunity to ...oh heck nevermind. I am surprised it is so blatant is all.
    I don't know about this particular school or parish. But some individual Episcopal congregations have refused to accept changes in the church. I've even heard of cases where a congregation left the church entirely.

    The African Anglican churches (part of the worldwide Anglican convention, as are Episcopalians in this country) tend to be particularly homophobic and there is still the possibility the worldwide denomination will have a schism.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Just wanted to add my general view that any school officials who punish or exclude the child of gay parents are not just poor educators, they are also lousy Christians.

    What the school did may well be legal, but Jesus weeps.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    between black and white
    Posts
    1,056
    It's not nearly half of the people that are trying to drag us back into the dark ages, but they have evil and ignorance on their side. I think those who embrace change will always drag the others kicking and screaming into the future, but it also never looks like what we envision, and in the end it's never based on win/lose.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,502
    Very interesting thread, thanks for all the input. BB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 08:04 PM
  2. Couple charged after daughter takes mold-covered food to school
    By Casshew in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 06:09 PM
  3. School play's lesbian kiss shocks parents
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 11:45 AM
  4. Official swears there's no gang of lesbian ****s at his school
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 09:44 AM