Lesbian Couple's Daughter Denied Admittance to School

All the BS against gay people is srsly starting to get to me. Can't people just live and let live ffs?!?

Part of me is outraged and part of me thinks it wasn't a good idea to begin with. How confusing would it be for the child to be taught homosexuals and lesbians are going to hell? I assume that is what they teach. I wouldn't want my kid exposed to that sort of closed-minded bigoted teaching.

I don't agree with the schools decision, but I just want to say that this is NOT the only school like that out there. In fact, in private schools with religious denominations, this is quite common. It's the same reason an atheist family would be denied admittance...the school doesn't believe in or agree with the childs home life because it goes against their religious teachings.

Not saying it's right, just saying that almost any religiously based private school would've done a similar thing.

It's a private school and because of that they are entitled to deny admission to anyone they choose. I was outraged when I saw the title of this thread until I saw that it was a private school. My kids are in a private school and there are certain requirements and expectations that have to be met in order to attend the school. People are turned away regularly for not meeting them.

Why on earth would these parents want their daughter being taught in this school anyway? I'm sure that part of the curriculum is religious and it appears that their beliefs are anti-homosexual (I'm not familiar with Episcopal teachings, so this is just an assumption on my part) so why would they want that in the first place for their child?

It's almost like they knew they would be denied and wanted to make a political issue out of it. Surely this outcome couldn't have been a complete surprise to them! They have friends that recommended the school, right? Those friends must have told them about the school, the teachings and the beliefs...at least I would think so! When I was considering my kids' private school I got a lot of information before I applied. I knew exactly what to expect.

Such a great world we live in, huh
wtf is wrong with people?!

Actually the Episcopal church has ordained gay bishops and tends to be more inclusive than some organized religions.

I didn't read the article because I'm on dial up tonight; I just read the posts.

Edit: I did read the article, and, I disagree with the school but agree they have the legal right to do it. (I think anyway) The thing is, all of my gay friends are Christians and maybe this couple are, too. Or if the school is concerned for their souls, wouldn't they want to take the opportunity to ...oh heck nevermind. I am surprised it is so blatant is all.

I don't agree with the schools decision, but I just want to say that this is NOT the only school like that out there. In fact, in private schools with religious denominations, this is quite common. It's the same reason an atheist family would be denied admittance...the school doesn't believe in or agree with the childs home life because it goes against their religious teachings.

Not saying it's right, just saying that almost any religiously based private school would've done a similar thing.

My children come from an atheist family, and religious schools were falling all over themselves to let them in. I think they felt someone needed to save these kids. I'm pretty sure if my husband had been a woman, it would not have gone that way.

My children come from an atheist family, and religious schools were falling all over themselves to let them in. I think they felt someone needed to save these kids. I'm pretty sure if my husband had been a woman, it would not have gone that way.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say above but I couldn't get it out LOL

Actually the Episcopal church has ordained gay bishops and tends to be more inclusive than some organized religions.

I didn't read the article because I'm on dial up tonight; I just read the posts.

Edit: I did read the article, and, I disagree with the school but agree they have the legal right to do it. (I think anyway) The thing is, all of my gay friends are Christians and maybe this couple are, too. Or if the school is concerned for their souls, wouldn't they want to take the opportunity to ...oh heck nevermind. I am surprised it is so blatant is all.

BBM. I forgot about that. I wonder, then, if there is some other reason they were rejected?

:innocent:
It's a private school and because of that they are entitled to deny admission to anyone they choose. I was outraged when I saw the title of this thread until I saw that it was a private school. My kids are in a private school and there are certain requirements and expectations that have to be met in order to attend the school. People are turned away regularly for not meeting them.

Why on earth would these parents want their daughter being taught in this school anyway? I'm sure that part of the curriculum is religious and it appears that their beliefs are anti-homosexual (I'm not familiar with Episcopal teachings, so this is just an assumption on my part) so why would they want that in the first place for their child?

It's almost like they knew they would be denied and wanted to make a political issue out of it. Surely this outcome couldn't have been a complete surprise to them! They have friends that recommended the school, right? Those friends must have told them about the school, the teachings and the beliefs...at least I would think so! When I was considering my kids' private school I got a lot of information before I applied. I knew exactly what to expect.

(Emphasis added.)

No, the real question is why anyone would send their children to a school that excludes those who come from homes with differing beliefs. That ain't education, that's indoctrination.

I'm openly gay, yet was asked to apply to teach at a very conservative Christian college (Pepperdine in Malibu). The first (and really only) question they asked me was whether I would object to and discourage Christian points of view being expressed in the classroom.

I said, "Absolutely not. Academic freedom applies to Christians, too. But I will expect them to be able to distinguish between their Christian views and the views of the playwrights we will be reading, some of whom will not be Christians." I was hired and had a great experience with the students there, many of them devout Christians.

That is what education should be.

I don't know about this particular school or parish. But some individual Episcopal congregations have refused to accept changes in the church. I've even heard of cases where a congregation left the church entirely.

The African Anglican churches (part of the worldwide Anglican convention, as are Episcopalians in this country) tend to be particularly homophobic and there is still the possibility the worldwide denomination will have a schism.

Just wanted to add my general view that any school officials who punish or exclude the child of gay parents are not just poor educators, they are also lousy Christians.

What the school did may well be legal, but Jesus weeps.

It's not nearly half of the people that are trying to drag us back into the dark ages, but they have evil and ignorance on their side. I think those who embrace change will always drag the others kicking and screaming into the future, but it also never looks like what we envision, and in the end it's never based on win/lose.

Just wanted to add my general view that any school officials who punish or exclude the child of gay parents are not just poor educators, they are also lousy Christians.

Amen and amen.

So very true!

:innocent:

(Emphasis added.)

No, the real question is why anyone would send their children to a school that excludes those who come from homes with differing beliefs. That ain't education, that's indoctrination.

I'm openly gay, yet was asked to apply to teach at a very conservative Christian college (Pepperdine in Malibu). The first (and really only) question they asked me was whether I would object to and discourage Christian points of view being expressed in the classroom.

I said, "Absolutely not. Academic freedom applies to Christians, too. But I will expect them to be able to distinguish between their Christian views and the views of the playwrights we will be reading, some of whom will not be Christians." I was hired and had a great experience with the students there, many of them devout Christians.

That is what education should be.

I went to a Christian college. It was an experience.... Most of the people there were wonderful and openminded. However, there were those who were not openminded or accepting at all. I loved my Philosophy class because I always played the opposite side. Many of the other students came across as high and mighty and didn't even want to listen to another side of things. The way I was brought up as a Christian is that you do not have to agree with the choices someone makes, but that you still love the person. I make my thoughts/beliefs known, but respect the way others think/believe. Christians, IMO, are supposed to be loving and accepting, it's not our place to judge a person. The sad part is, many churches and religious organizations teach judging more than they teach love.

This just made me smile. I have good friends who are atheist and for reasons too convoluted to go into here, have placed their son on a waiting list for admission to a private Catholic school in our area. They had serious reservations of course about the curriculum but in the end felt capable and up to the challenge of balancing the rhetoric and ideologies to which he will be exposed on a daily basis. They were very upfront with the administrator about their atheism, and the administrator didn't even blink. I have a feeling money and the ability to pay supercedes just about any ideological or theological principles private schools promote. I wonder what kind of economic status this couple has!

I once wanted my son to attend a private Christian school and was denied because I wasn't a member of the Mennonite community. I didn't like it, but they have the right to refuse.

BTW, my son stayed in the public school system and did quite well. :) He's going to be a junior at his university next term! :woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back