Hurricane Danielle Forms in Atlantic

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Looks like hurricane season is officially here, folks.

Hurricane Danielle Forms
Hurricane Danielle has formed far from land in the Atlantic with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph (120 kph), and it's expected to strengthen in the next couple of days.

Danielle is the second Atlantic hurricane of the year. On Monday afternoon, it was about 1,320 miles (2,120 kilometers) east of the Lesser Antilles islands.

Forecasters say the storm could become a major hurricane by Wednesday.

Snipped from http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=weather&id=7622796

Yep! It's that time of year that we make sure our pantries are well stocked, we have plenty of bottled water, gas cans full, batteries, .....

I'm close to Baton Rouge so normally we don't need the supplies, but Katrina and Gustav taught us to always be prepared. We were without electricity for a while for those.

Praying everyone stays safe this season!

MIAMI – Hurricane Danielle became a Category 4 storm early Friday far out over the Atlantic as it headed in Bermuda's direction and threatened to bring dangerous rip currents to the U.S. East Coast.

Also in the Atlantic, Tropical Storm Earl was moving west with maximum sustained winds near 45 mph (75 kph). Forecasters said Earl could become a hurricane by Sunday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tropical_weather

I remember Hurricane Katrina all too well! My brother and his family were at their camp on Lake Ponchartrain when the evacuation first began. Of course they came north and brought their horses with them all except the one they could not locate. When they were finally cleared to go back to their camp, they found this horse still alive!

I was in Shreveport on September 24th, 2005 when Rita hit. It came all the way up to the northwestern side of Louisiana and eastern Texas, and there was quite a bit of damage from that. You were warned to stay off the streets and highways or be ticketed. I visited family in Shreveport at the wrong time!

I have a longtime attorney friend in Baton Rouge who keeps a 'hurricane journal' and emails it to all his friends. All the neighbors got together and cooked all of their frozen food and meat, and everyone ate really well, LOL! They look back on it now as such an adventure, but did not consider it so at the time!

If there is ever a projected hurricane path coming toward you - EVACUATE! I will never forget 2005. Ever!

Hopefully Hurricane Danielle will not destroy any eastcoast beaches due to dangerous rip currents.

At this time five years ago, I was holed up in a motel room in Atlanta with my husband, son, his gf, my little niece, and three cats. One eye glued to the TV and the other glued to my laptop, for five days I searched desperately for news of family, friends, my neighborhood, my home. At the time we left, my sister and my brother had said they weren't leaving. My best friend of 35 years was being stubborn, too. Shortly afterward, cell phone communication became hit and miss. I couldn't reach my son who was driving just 100' feet or so ahead of me. Five days passed before I knew that those closest to me were safe somewhere. Frightened, weary, confused, but alive, for the time being, anyway. I lost two of them to suicide within two years of the storm. Loss of livelihood, forced relocation, and all the other psychic damage caused by the event were just too, too much.

Just as Danielle made her way up the Atlantic and out to sea, I pray Earl does too. And all the rest forever after. With Betsy, Katrina and the Great Levee Failure of 2005, I've seen enough.

Tropical Storm Earl reaches hurricane status

MIAMI | Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:43am EDT

MIAMI Aug 29 (Reuters) - Tropical Storm Earl became a hurricane on Sunday, following behind Hurricane Danielle.

Earl, located 365 miles (585 km) east of the Northern Leeward Islands, had top sustained winds of 75 mph (120 kmh) as it pushed across the mid-Atlantic behind Danielle.

Danielle, which has posed no threat to land or the U.S. Gulf of Mexico oil patch, is the first major hurricane of the 2010 season.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2925315420100829

Yep! It's that time of year that we make sure our pantries are well stocked, we have plenty of bottled water, gas cans full, batteries, .....

I'm close to Baton Rouge so normally we don't need the supplies, but Katrina and Gustav taught us to always be prepared. We were without electricity for a while for those.

Praying everyone stays safe this season!
It's also a good time to start eating all of the frozen gumbo, etouffe, and seafood most of us have stashed in our freezers. ;)

I remember Hurricane Katrina all too well! My brother and his family were at their camp on Lake Ponchartrain when the evacuation first began. Of course they came north and brought their horses with them all except the one they could not locate. When they were finally cleared to go back to their camp, they found this horse still alive!

I was in Shreveport on September 24th, 2005 when Rita hit. It came all the way up to the northwestern side of Louisiana and eastern Texas, and there was quite a bit of damage from that. You were warned to stay off the streets and highways or be ticketed. I visited family in Shreveport at the wrong time!

I have a longtime attorney friend in Baton Rouge who keeps a 'hurricane journal' and emails it to all his friends. All the neighbors got together and cooked all of their frozen food and meat, and everyone ate really well, LOL! They look back on it now as such an adventure, but did not consider it so at the time!

If there is ever a projected hurricane path coming toward you - EVACUATE! I will never forget 2005. Ever!

Hopefully Hurricane Danielle will not destroy any eastcoast beaches due to dangerous rip currents.
I learned the hard way that hurricane season is not the time to stock up the fridge. The week before Katrina, I bought about $200 worth of fresh, organic veggies, fish, and free range chicken at Whole Food. I couldn't bear to pitch it before we evacuated so I ended up pitching it when we finally returned. Naturally, I was grateful to still have a home with a refrigerator inside, even a vile and disgusting one. Still...:sick: Since then, during the summer I buy only small amounts of perishables, just enough that I know we'll eat up in a week.

Looks like Earl will follow his sister up the Atlantic. I pray he will stay far from land.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back